• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stumped about no sale on my bike...

G

Gravity

Sigh...been trying to sell my '04 KGT for nearly 6 months now and now bites. It is priced below wholesale and I cannot move it. I was hoping to get $$ to help defray the cost of an expensive divorce (is there any other kind?).

Anyhow, just a rant to say that I guess I bought a special bike and there aren't that many special bike riders out there.

tapping foot,

Gravity

where all is it listed? MOA site, Craigslist and lastly , your local paper should at least get someone looking. I have bought/sold three bikes on Craigslist and one off the MOA site.

anyways, sorry for your personal predicament...been there...and good luck finding a buyer...they are out there somewhere

try IBMWR or ebay as well.

it's a tough time of year and also, a new model makes an old one slightly harder to sell

craigslist, cycletrader, newsonwheels, local paper, IBMWR, and here. Also on the advrider forums, K-bikes.com and everywhere else I could think of. I even parked it by the road with a sign on it for a few days. Had a few tire kickers (2) but no one pulled the trigger.

Location is probably your problem. You need to get it close to the buyers. Most internet vehicle sales are probably within 2 to 4 hours from the buyers home. Fly and ride home can get pretty expensive when you figure in lost wages, weather, dealers not open on Sunday or Monday if you have to take the bike to a shop.

JON

Sigh...been trying to sell my '04 KGT for nearly 6 months now and now bites. It is priced below wholesale and I cannot move it. I was hoping to get $$ to help defray the cost of an expensive divorce (is there any other kind?).

Anyhow, just a rant to say that I guess I bought a special bike and there aren't that many special bike riders out there.

tapping foot,

Gravity

Keep the bike and sell the wife.

Feel free to post any possible Craigslist ads that you come up with.

RW

I'm your problem

Having purchased my '04 RRS in January at which point my awareness of the BMW brand was having driven a 1980s vintage 4 door sedan and having the motorcycle salesman say to me (when I was looking at big Honda cruisers) "Well most of the real well traveled motorcycle riders ride BMW".

Being a natural born techie it was second nature to learn more about the brand and I found myself attracted to the performance and robustness of the powerplant used in the K series, and am mysteriously drawn to the GT. Not that I don't like my RRS which continues to surprise and please me.

I am guilty of a significant number of those 500 some times your add has been viewed and have been working on a way to rationalize owning a third motorcycle. I'm almost to the point of selling my workhorse diesel 4x4 or begging the wife to break into the 401K.

Again, more :blah no money.
I am sure there are more frantic plotters like me out there...May the most desperate man (or woman) win!

First problem is having a fairly new model bike that has already been replaced. While its a new model, the platform is now a generation behind the current offering, causing the value to take a nose dive. You are competing with K12RS in the used market, check out the prices there. People are unlikely to pay a premium for the few extras the GT offers.

If you like the bike, you might reconsider keeping it, its value right now is in riding it. Throw the soon to be ex wife some other bone instead of cash from the bike.
Better yet, toss out the lawyers, they are the ones sucking your wallet dry.

Had a few tire kickers (2) but no one pulled the trigger.
You are putting a price on the bike higher than your potential buyers think it is worth, which as stated above, includes buyers' cost to take possession.

You either have to market it to increase perceived value, or lower your price.

Fred

no joke

take Gail's advice. Dude, "Listen to the woman." I know you got burned on one, but Gail's obviously not one of the regular ones; she rides a Beemer. Ya gotta think she's one of those women who knows a lot of stuff men just don't.

Expensive divorce? Understood.
Sell my beemer? No f'in way!
I would keep the bike, and state the obvious: "I'll pay you when I get it'

Then I would schedule a road trip as soon as the divorce is final. :dunno

btw, post a pic of the bike would ya? :lurk

If the property settlement has not been finalized how about using the bike as part of what you are ordered to turn over. In other words she gets the bike and you keep other items or $ that allows you to re invest in a bike you really want. Let her have the hassle of selling it, or if she can't offer her a minimal amount and buy it back when she can't get a decent sale.

There is someone out there who wants your bike at a price you can take. It's just that you're not speaking their language, and they don't know how bad they want it.

I sold an F650 earlier this year. I put up the usual "ho-hum" motorcycle ads on Craigslist, ADVRider and a couple of other forums. They looked like this:

http://www.beachbus.net/f650

I got a few calls and interested people but no one ever gave me much confidence that they actually wanted to buy it. They were mostly "gee that's a bike I'd like to have when I get a job" and stuff like that. It annoyed me a little, so I decided to get proactive. I wrote this ad:

http://www.beachbus.net/f650/ad.htm

I got full asking price. They guy promised to buy it over the phone. I told him I spoke "cash" and he was at my door in an hour with it. I had to force him to take a test ride. I started a list of "back up" buyers since my phone was blowing up from all the calls and turned it off when the buyer came (If I thought he was going to try to talk me down, I would have left it on
deal.gif
)

Write an engaging ad. You'll notice that several other dual sport bikes are named as keywords, but it's not blatent cross marketing. I added most, but not all of the accessories and why they were on the bike/useful. Throw in some interesting pictures of the bike doing it's thing. Most of all, show other people how much they will love the bike, just like you did.

There is someone out there who wants your bike at a price you can take. It's just that you're not speaking their language, and they don't know how bad they want it.

I sold an F650 earlier this year. I put up the usual "ho-hum" motorcycle ads on Craigslist, ADVRider and a couple of other forums. They looked like this:

http://www.beachbus.net/f650

I got a few calls and interested people but no one ever gave me much confidence that they actually wanted to buy it. They were mostly "gee that's a bike I'd like to have when I get a job" and stuff like that. It annoyed me a little, so I decided to get proactive. I wrote this ad:

http://www.beachbus.net/f650/ad.htm

I got full asking price. They guy promised to buy it over the phone. I told him I spoke "cash" and he was at my door in an hour with it. I had to force him to take a test ride. I started a list of "back up" buyers since my phone was blowing up from all the calls and turned it off when the buyer came (If I thought he was going to try to talk me down, I would have left it on
deal.gif
)

Write an engaging ad. You'll notice that several other dual sport bikes are named as keywords, but it's not blatent cross marketing. I added most, but not all of the accessories and why they were on the bike/useful. Throw in some interesting pictures of the bike doing it's thing. Most of all, show other people how much they will love the bike, just like you did.

Damn. I want that bike too.

Some may think it's a huricane bike.

The bike was in Connecticut during the hurrican. Previous owner live there with it. I bought it in '06. Interesting though though...I may need to clarify that in my ad.

Thanks,

Gravity

First problem is having a fairly new model bike that has already been replaced. While its a new model, the platform is now a generation behind the current offering, causing the value to take a nose dive. You are competing with K12RS in the used market, check out the prices there. People are unlikely to pay a premium for the few extras the GT offers.

If you like the bike, you might reconsider keeping it, its value right now is in riding it. Throw the soon to be ex wife some other bone instead of cash from the bike.
Better yet, toss out the lawyers, they are the ones sucking your wallet dry.

I agree with some of what you said, but it's priced below most '03 and better RS models. As for bones for the STBx, she gets none of this. Cash from the sale would be split between lawyer and other debt.

I think you're right about the model though.

Thanks for your input,

Gravity

Back