• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NASCAR 2015 :burnout

Let's see. Jeff says this year will be his final season so NASCAR is probably going to fix it so that he can be on the pole for Daytona.

I watched this afternoon what Nascar called qualifying for the Daytona and I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish. Cars parked at an angle on pit road. Pushed backwards onto pit road by crew members. five minutes to make a qualifying run but nobody moves.Fastest car of the runs does not get the pole. And guess who has the pole. Wonder boy . Nascar is becoming way too much show and not enough go. I don't care if they do burnouts because I am about burned out with Nascar and I probably won't be watching.

Did I call it or what? :nyah

So Jeff wins the poll for his final season. Just like Dale Jr. won the poll on the anniversary of his dad's death and Danica won the poll on her first ever big time race. Come on NASCAR we can see through your fixes.

They must think we are all blind, with no ability to reason.

{IMO} this "knock-out" qualifying is for nothing more than ticket sales / seat filling . Lets face it,..normal qualifying is basically boring...but this is what 3? mini-races..complete with crashes...which is what so many go to see anyway...:(

Yup, NASCAR fixed it so he just barely crossed the line before time expired to get a timed lap. I guess NASCAR was working with Fox to slow the clock ticks down so he did cross. And NASCAR made sure that no one ahead of him crashed to slow him down. I hate when all that happens! :brow

NASCAR did qualifying the way they did because it allows them to reward the pole to someone back in the pack because they have total control of saying who was the fastest. The pole winner was decided when Jeff announced his retirement.

NASCAR did qualifying the way they did because it allows them to reward the pole to someone back in the pack because they have total control of saying who was the fastest. The pole winner was decided when Jeff announced his retirement.

Well not really...they do it this way because that's the way they do it at all the tracks...Daytona was the last one to go that way. But they really have to rethink this type of qualifying for Daytona and Talladega. I saw where people were still on a flying lap while the other half of the field had throttled it back. That was pretty dangerous. This whole thing is because when in the back, you're drafting and you can have a faster time than the person leading the pack. Pretty stupid.

Watchin' one of those roll on the dyno must be something :thumb
OM
When they are running one of the road courses on the dyno it is neat to listen to it. The constant up & down shifts. It takes me awhile when I go outside & listen to the exhaust to figure if it is Sonoma or Watkins Glen that the dyno is simulating.

A bit off track, but something similar was done at our place of work. A Formula 1 team (I don't know which) kept breaking a part in their transmission...a small dollar part was killing their billion dollar venture. They came to us with a transmission/engine and we hooked it up to our engine test stands and simulated the track (I don't know which). Sure enough...the part broke. The part was redesigned, installed, and rerun. No breaking. Problem solved. I, too, remember hearing the wail of that engine from across the campus.

When NASCAR banned testing a few years ago to save the teams money the engine shops installed new dynos at a cost of about five million dollars each to simulate race track testing. Richard Childress said it best at a NASCAR meeting. He told NASCAR I don't know how much more I can afford you saving me money.

Duels tonight...............

Gonna be Cold in Daytona. I love seeing those folks all bundled up!

Lets go Danica :)

jason

I never understood qualifying at night when the race will be during the day. I guess it's the same for everyone, but it doesn't help gather any info for the race.

I never understood qualifying at night when the race will be during the day. I guess it's the same for everyone, but it doesn't help gather any info for the race.

A lengthy rain delay could result in a night race...was it last year it ended up as a Monday Night event?
The duels at night will be cool...but I was used to the afternoon excuse to leave work early back in the day:dance

I thought Danica crashed. :dunno

She did. And since her car was totaled and she has to use a replacement car, she has to start the qualifying race from at the back and try to race her way into the 500 with a high finish in the qualifying race.

What about her and Denny Hamlin after the race?

Would he have put his hands on Tony Stewart the way he did to her?
Hands on her shoulders, almost a big brother hug?

I would have loved to see her punch him in the nose!

jason

Back