• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NASCAR 2017 :burnout

Always amusing to see how drivers explain their view of what happens...Kyle B door slams Joey to avoid running in to the #2 car, then gets a last lap bump and goes crazy on pit road...old school Donnie Allison and Cale Y:fight
Great win for Truex...overdue :thumb

On the race dates lost by other tracks...sad at times, but attendance and dollars do speak. Did not see a lot of empty seats on Sunday.
Miss the door banging Rockingham and Hickory provided with 43 cars in a small space..but times move on like it or not.

"Did not see a lot of empty seats on Sunday."

Look closer?...there were whole sections covered with those advertisement covers...Just a week ago on talk radio it was stated that attendance last year was down some 40% ! That's a bunch. Even claimed viewership was down 30%.

Yeah real American racing there.......a race sponsored by a Chinese tool co, won by a Japanese automaker....and the cars driven by [mostly] little twinkie boys...no wonder attendance is down.

Just like fist fights in hockey, its all part of the theatrics for the fans.

Never made a point with my face on somebody's fist because of the audience. Look at Wheeler's fight with Malkin. That was two guys settling an outstanding issue.

Totally disagree with you Paul. When I step on the ice, I am 15 again and full of myself and a good ole toe to toe is almost always about emotion and testosterone. The pro's are the same.

Who in their right mind is 4" shorter and 50Lbs lighter than their opponent picks a fight for the sake of entertainment? An a--kicking doesn't hurt any less when you know the audience thinks you are acting.

I do have to admit to one situation where I dropped them and looked up, way up, at my opponent and thought that cute little red head in the third row would dig a tough, old, fat, bald guy for picking a fight with someone 10 years younger. Not a very well thought out moment in my life.

Never made a point with my face on somebody's fist because of the audience. Look at Wheeler's fight with Malkin. That was two guys settling an outstanding issue.

Totally disagree with you Paul. When I step on the ice, I am 15 again and full of myself and a good ole toe to toe is almost always about emotion and testosterone. The pro's are the same.

Who in their right mind is 4" shorter and 50Lbs lighter than their opponent picks a fight for the sake of entertainment? An a--kicking doesn't hurt any less when you know the audience thinks you are acting.

I do have to admit to one situation where I dropped them and looked up, way up, at my opponent and thought that cute little red head in the third row would dig a tough, old, fat, bald guy for picking a fight with someone 10 years younger. Not a very well thought out moment in my life.

Aw sure. Football players can go head to head and almost never get in fist fights. Basketball and soccer players usually avoid it too. But in hockey it is part of the routine entertainment offered. I know it is cultural in the sport - I grew up in North Dakota where you sent all your best player/fighters to embarass us. Hockey players just have their own special kind of testosterone I'm sure. I didn't say it was acting. I said it was entertainment. It happens because it is allowed, and the fans suck it up. Boxing isn't usually acting but it is entertainment.

In virtually any other team sport getting into a fistfight will get you ejected, and a repeat offense may get you suspended. In hockey - go sit for 2 or maybe 5 minutes. In any other context in the civilized world it is called criminal assault, or even assault with a deadly weapon if swinging a stick and you might see jail time. But in hockey it is just a couple of guys who can't control themselves because of all the testosterone. Sounds like a bar fight to me.:) And I like hockey.

Last edited:
Maybe a combination of figure skating, hockey, and mixed martial arts might be a interesting combination. Something for everybody. :)

Aw sure. Football players can go head to head and almost never get in fist fights. Basketball and soccer players usually avoid it too. But in hockey it is part of the routine entertainment offered. I know it is cultural in the sport - I grew up in North Dakota where you sent all your best player/fighters to embarass us. Hockey players just have their own special kind of testosterone I'm sure. I didn't say it was acting. I said it was entertainment. It happens because it is allowed, and the fans suck it up. Boxing isn't usually acting but it is entertainment.

In virtually any other team sport getting into a fistfight will get you ejected, and a repeat offense may get you suspended. In hockey - go sit for 2 or maybe 5 minutes. In any other context in the civilized world it is called criminal assault, or even assault with a deadly weapon if swinging a stick and you might see jail time. But in hockey it is just a couple of guys who can't control themselves because of all the testosterone. Sounds like a bar fight to me.:) And I like hockey.

I still disagree that hockey players fight to entertain the crowd. Granted, it is entertaining to watch. Fighting is not allowed, sort of. The goon days are gone and will get a player a hearty suspension. When I was playing a lot of hockey, you would chirp at your opponent incessantly, like a magpie. You provoked him into getting a penalty by him dropping the gloves first and then smile and skate away.

My son played goalie a number of years when he was still a good son. We would call him up as a rent a goalie. One game, he started chirping at a buddy of mine on the other team. Things like: "my grandmother shoots harder than that" or he would go with "did your mom teach you how to skate, I like the ballerina style". Pissed him off to the point he dropped the gloves. He saw my son was 20 and my son. My son grinned at him and he got two.

Next shift after serving the penalty, he beat me up.

Swinging a stick will get you suspended and there will be pay back next game. That is verbotten.

I think the next real sport should be curling with body contact. Imagine a good 'ol donnybrook in the house!

There has been some great racing throughout the world of automotive competition.

NASCAR has been pretty good, even with the new points system. What I really like is the technology that has gone into these cars.

In 300+MPH dragsters, it's been interesting as well. Here is Courtney Force surviving a mishap......at speed :eek

OM

Scott Dixon was another survivor of this bit of extreme engineering and fabrication in his crash last week at the Indy 500 :eek

It's nice that some of these construction techniques work their way down to everyday drivers.

OM

I'd heard that Scott's ride through the air was longer than Evel Knievel's jump at Caesar's Palace! 300 feet versus 140 feet! And all Scott hurt was his ankle. :eek

Back