• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NASCAR 2017 :burnout

I always watch if I'm in the house or it's on late. Cadillacs leading at Daytona now. NASCAR had to change with the times. Loved the old days when they actually took real cars, cobbled them up according to cobbled up rules, cheating allowed, then fought it out banging away with big sedans and after the race and a few beer. Safety for the drivers and fairness of machinery has made it seem boring today. I'm sure, however, if any of us got in the passenger side of even a ten year old bucket and got taken around the oval by a past ranked driver, we would appreciate the insanity/skill of racing NASCAR at speed.

A friend of mine did the Richard Petty driving experience at Kentucky Speedway a few years ago...and she did 171 MPH fastest lap....Not bad :dunno

I remain a NASCAR fan and frankly think it's the best it's ever been. A little tough to lose Gordon, Stewart, and Edwards, but times change.

Only negative to me is Roger Penske participation, as he's the prince of darkness and will kill NASCAR given the chance, just as he's killed Indycar.

Both of these series need desperately to be a "top step" for drivers that have grown up in the USA racing in "Saturday night" grassroots racing series, but unfortunately Indycar has turned into buy-a-ride for Formula 1 wannabes from who knows where that really can't get themselves into F1. And in addition to no-name drivers, the racing is usually pretty boring.

NASCAR has well and truly won the battle as top American racing ... it's just too bad their product is pretty boring at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The fact remains, however, that since as a driver you can make the most money in NASCAR, that's where the best drivers gravitate. It's fun to watch the best, but NASCAR needs to continually look for ways to challenge them.

Of course, the best motor racing on the planet is MotoGP, but that's another story.

Well, Daytona speedweek is right around the corner with the Rolex 24 rolling now.

GettyImages-511620910(1).jpg

Gary; Why does that guy have to wear a helment and firesuit [?] when he is way up in that tower?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't follow racing. :)

I don't know- really. It seems like anybody "over the wall" wears one. The pit crews are in fire suits and helmets. Fire and flying debris?
Gary

Safety for sure. You never know when a car gets airborne or a tire blows. Unless that's scripted, too. :stick

Im not Gary, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once:laugh:laugh

Years back, the pit crews and NASCAR officials had no head protection on pit road and several incidents happened with cars hitting pit crew members. F1 was already doing the helmet thing

Carl Edwards went airborne at Talladega on the last lap near the flagstand racing for the win..you can imagine that got the attention of safety officials

a6-4.jpg

nascar-cup-talladega-2009-carl-edwards-roush-fenway-racing-ford-goes-flying-up-the-track-o.jpg

And Austin Dillon at Daytona

150706091537-05-nascar-crash-0706-super-169.jpg

31fba1ef-f4c6-42ef-b4c6-eb7ef30727e9.jpg

the fastest tracks on the circuit with speeds prob near 200mph at this point
fans were hurt, but no fatalities...Drivers walked away

Last edited:
Were those pictures taken on the SE Expressway (misnomer for sure) headed into Boston? I'd better order a fire suit.....'stitches chafe. :eek
OM

We need some Finnish drivers in NASCAR. Those folks know how to train and develop drivers. With the population about the size of Kentucky they've produced three F1 champions, four race winners and currently have two drivers starting in the series (Mercedes and Ferrari). Throw in their exploits in rally car racing and they are phenomenal. The Finnish drawl could be taken for a North Carolina twang... almost.

We need some Finnish drivers in NASCAR. Those folks know how to train and develop drivers. With the population about the size of Kentucky they've produced three F1 champions, four race winners and currently have two drivers starting in the series (Mercedes and Ferrari). Throw in their exploits in rally car racing and they are phenomenal. The Finnish drawl could be taken for a North Carolina twang... almost.

Kimi tried trucks a couple times. Maybe he'll return when Ferrari's done with him.

Gary; Why does that guy have to wear a helment and firesuit [?] when he is way up in that tower?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't follow racing. :)

He's ready to jump down and help if there's an accident right in front of him.

In my 40 + years of racing I can remember two Flag men being killed from debris and several others getting injured.

As the racing season starts, it's interesting to see all the activity in the shops. It's hard for me to figure how they keep the shops so clean.
The clash is tonight.
OM

Seems like the Clash is on now. Rain delay from yesterday must have pushed it off. FS1- Fox Sports-1
OM

Back