• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S fairing on Ebay

The parts are being painted. I wanted a unique BMW, so I went with Black with white pin striping.:laugh

I am going to repaint my valve covers. Does anybody have any suggestions or tips on this job? I did a search and I found no post exactly relating to that. I have heard about covering the fins with tape, not covering and using a file to clean them up. I am just curious if anybody found a method that worked really great. Even powdercoating?
:ear

I hope you powdercoat them. I have been thinking about doing that and I would rather learn from your mistakes that have you learn from mine!:blush (did I say that out loud?) The powdercoating person I spoke with said I should have them sprayed, fins and all and then sand off the portions that should be bare metal. They suggested fine sandpaper, at least until the edges were cut. While I am at it, I am going to do the airbox, starter cover and front engine cover so they will all match. All in satin black. I know the front engine cover is not supposed to be painted, but I am trying to get in touch with my inner rebel and I like the way it looks.:whistle

Hey Randy...............glad your bike is runnin so smooooooth................

A few years ago there was a lot of controversy about painting various parts of the engine. It all centered around heat transfer and that the bare metal that was a rough type casting like our engines is the best for air cooling.................

Just a thought.........Dennis

Hey Randy...............glad your bike is runnin so smooooooth................

A few years ago there was a lot of controversy about painting various parts of the engine. It all centered around heat transfer and that the bare metal that was a rough type casting like our engines is the best for air cooling.................

Just a thought.........Dennis

Certainly a valid concern. All the parts I am looking to paint are painted from the factory, with the exception of the front engine cover. Those were factory painted in some years and models, but not in mine. I don't think the impact on cooling would be significant, but if others know better I am very open to input. I will, of course, avoid any paint on the inside surfaces of the parts.

Rapid_Roy,
Looking forward to seeing the fairing when your done. Thanks for sharing the exerience and knowledge along the way!

Glad I could do so, in this modern age of digital cameras. I can hardly wait myself.
I have to get the fairing to the painter. I wasn't going to have it painted, but apparently, he is using a different shiny black.:laugh
This is all on the cheap. Eventually, I will save up for a real fairing, or repro.
With the paint job, and thorough cleaning and new bags, this is the closest I will get to a new bike for a while. I put new heads on last year, the only problematic area may be the timing chain. I might still get to that for inspection and replace the seals and gaskets, I don't know. I hope to ride it to the Great River Road Run, if the weather appears decent. My R50 is great for short trips on hot days, but this bike actually moves when I twist the throttle.:laugh

Ok, the seat is severly bent from the deer incident, the parts should be painted this week. I am still modifying the LED taillight, and I have yet to mount the fairing. I hope to have it done in time for the Slimy Crud Run, if it is warm, I will take it.
I still haven't figured out what to do with the valve covers, that is the next big obstacle. I think I will call my mechanic today, if he hasn't gone to Daytona.

:scratch Deer incident? I missed the fact that you had one of those. Hope none of your parts were damaged!
It was 3 years ago, on a night just like this......:laugh

It jumped on my front fender and was running me off the road on a curve. The back legs found purchase on my fender, and as the deer leaped gracefully, the phrase "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" came to mind. I knew I was going down, but what I didn't know was I was on the grass already, and the bike pivoted fast, to end up facing the other way on its side. This caused my legs to fling up and I pivoted on the back rest, slamming into it, and went flying out at 90 degrees to the bike into the field, on my face. Gotta love full face helmets! :thumb
This bent the back rest severely, and caused a large hematoma to form in my leg, I found out a week later. It was drained about 4 times, and there is still a small bulge there today. I reconstructed this as I was pounding the backrest back, and trying to figure out how it got bent that way, and what did it. It also damaged the seat, as I found out later. This was further enhanced by my son getting on the wrong side and pulling the bike over on himself, at a rest stop on our way to the Dells Rally.
This has earned this bike the title "Deerpuncher."

* Roy looks at you then looks away, looks at you, then looks away, looks at you, then looks away, looks at you* You talkin to me?:laugh
Wait, that is me being DeNiro, sorry.
Thank you btw, I'll also had a badly dented ego, but I got over it.

Oh Yeah!
P3010118.jpg

Last edited:
I have already. I am now fairly upset I put off the mechanical stuff this long. :laugh

:D I hear you. Of course, It might be worse to have it all together and not be able to ride it.

You have to be sure to be ready by spring. If you had to turn down invitations to join the next "perfect ride" while your shiney parts sang background vocals, that would be torture.

If I was closer I would help you on the mechanical stuff. I expect you will be ready to roll soon.:burnout

Nothing I haven't done before, but thank you. Neutral switch sensor, adjust the valves, build mounts for the fairing (I know!)some other small stuff. Nothing major compared to the cleaning I will have to give it now that everything else looks so good.
:laugh

Last edited:
Schweet

That is going to be one fine looking motorcycle.

You should park it next to Prez Dave's white R100CS in Wyoming. Sort of a Ying/Yang thang.

That is going to be one fine looking motorcycle.

You should park it next to Prez Dave's white R100CS in Wyoming. Sort of a Ying/Yang thang.
Thank you, I hope so.
If I think the weather is clear enough, I may just do that. I am thinking it would look cool with Devil's Tower in the background.

Ok, here is the plan. Everybody come over Saturday. My niece is getting married, and both my kids are in the wedding. They have to get fitted on Saturday. My wife asked if I wanted to go, and I said sure because it's the smart thing to do. Secretly, I waved bye bye to any spare time to work on the bike. My wife has just informed me that her mother wants to go, so she said I could stay home Saturday. So, everybody come over, I'll order Pizza and beverages, and we can put it back together.
She is also having Lasik surgery on Thursday, so all bets could be off on Saturday, if her eyes are not well. I hope it does go well, and not just so I can work on the bike.

hmmmm ....
pizza?
beverages?
not too far from Burlington?

I Really like your paint scheme; traditional yet not factory correct. I especially like the 4.5 gallon tank paint scheme on a /7 style tank. Who did your paint if I may ask? Somebody local to us?

hmmmm ....
pizza?
beverages?
not too far from Burlington?

Hmmm. Not too far from Manitowoc, either. I know my wife & daughter will be in Chicago. I am hoping I'll have my Jeep back (with an engine replacement) and I can use this as a break-in drive and maybe deliver some E28 parts in Grafton. How about a PM with your address? I can't promise I'll make it, but I might. What kind of pizza ...? :eat

Back