• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 1150RS ~47k - rough running

My brother found the timing pulley had split and resulted in similar issues to yours. It turned out not to be the Hall sensor. The pulley is made from two stamped cups that are welded together, back to back. The glue or whatever between them had failed and that lead to really poor running. If you're in there...

It took him a long time to figure that one out.

He has a 95 R11RS

Did you ever try Yoda's idea?
On my first 1100, and a few others I've looked at, the clamps that hold the sparkplug wires to the frame were too tight on the wire, eating into the insulation.

Also - you mentioned that you changed the fuel filter; how about the filter on the intake side of the pump?

There was a service note (not a recall) that said to make sure the plug wires are not "near" the O2 sensor wires - the proximity can cause the O2 lines to pick up spikes induced by the plug wires.

Did you ever try Yoda's idea?
On my first 1100, and a few others I've looked at, the clamps that hold the sparkplug wires to the frame were too tight on the wire, eating into the insulation.

Also - you mentioned that you changed the fuel filter; how about the filter on the intake side of the pump?

There was a service note (not a recall) that said to make sure the plug wires are not "near" the O2 sensor wires - the proximity can cause the O2 lines to pick up spikes induced by the plug wires.

I'll look at these. I have checked valve clearance which is ok.Tried everything else so time to look at non-obvious stuff

New filter put in at the start of this fiasco.

I'll look for the spark plug / O2 proximity

Thanks

After exhausting my knowledge on the bike, I engaged with Paul's garage deep in the heart of Atlanta. Quite the journey towing a motorcycle on a trailer thru rush hour traffic on I75 in Atlanta. Not a road for those faint of heart :(
Dropped the bike off Saturday morning and gave him my tales of woe. He will do basic testing and t/s (of which most I have done) but willing to have them do it again. I may have missed something....:laugh
No time line. I was out for a year and half, another few weeks won't kill me. And now that I have ALL KINDS OF ROOM in the garage, I need to think of the next bike :dance. I am looking at the f800 or F900 (of what ever the designation is or the Triumph Tiger. I like the Tiger because it is a triple. I need to stay away from tall bikes because of my short inseam or find one that can be lowered. There are others also that I have been researching also. The saga continues....

Bike fixed!

FIXED! Pauls Garage in Atlanta came through for me finding a split hose inside the tank which would coincide with engine starving for fuel at higher speeds. He checked every thing and its done. Pick it up Saturday :dance:clap

Back