• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mail Order Tires?

D

DanGreene

I am updating my files and was wondering if there is anything new under the sun with mail order tires. I have consistently used SWMoto because their prices include shipping and they usually are in the running for the least expensive source. Anybody using any different source that may be better (less expensive)?

I am updating my files and was wondering if there is anything new under the sun with mail order tires. I have consistently used SWMoto because their prices include shipping and they usually are in the running for the least expensive source. Anybody using any different source that may be better (less expensive)?

Haven't found any one better. They are great.

Same here. SW Motors :thumb has gotten my business for quite some time now.

The last time I purchased from SWMoto the front tire arrived with a damaged bead. The distributor had cinched a bundle of tires too tightly. We couldn't get it to seal. Of course when the tires arrived I had tossed them on the shelf without inspecting them. It wasn't until several months later that we realized the problem... one week before our annual Tapoco Lodge/Deal's Gap trip.

I sent an email with photos to SW and thought to myself, "This ought to be good." However, their response came within 30 minutes. He (Blaine) had a replacement tire here within a couple days... in time for my trip. I was able to terrorize the Cherohala Skyway on new rubber.

For service like that, and good prices, I'll stick with SWMoto.

My $.02

Tires Unlimited

I have been buying my tires from Tires Unlimited. Their prices are similar to SWMoto, cheaper on some brands and sizes, higher on others. I had a similar experience as King (above) with receiving a tire with a damaged bead due to banding the tire too tightly for shipment. They were quick to resolve the problem.

I would recommend them.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm

Their service and pricing seem very comparable to reviews I have read about SWMoto, though I have no dirct experience with SWMoto.

Hey Dan, I see you made the jump to the R1200R. Let us know what you think after a few solo and 2-up rides.

Dealer tire prices

I have used SWMoto for years with no problems. Can anyone explain the cost of tires at BMW dealers other than excessive markup? Is 40-50% a fair markup (i.e. SWmoto versus dealer prices) and no shipping charges to boot??? I assume that SWmoto is making a profit with their price structure. What does that say for the dealers?

Breeze

Can anyone explain the cost of tires at BMW dealers other than excessive markup?

OK, Business 101.

The difference is you can walk in and have your tire in minutes as opposed to waiting a week.

For this convenience, you pay.

If you're on the road somewhere, you can visit a dealer and get a tire.
Or, you can get a motel and pay for a mail order tire to be overnighted.
Which costs more?

You pay more for a gallon of milk at 7-11 than you do at the supermarket because it's more convenient.

I have used SWMoto for years with no problems. Can anyone explain the cost of tires at BMW dealers other than excessive markup? Is 40-50% a fair markup (i.e. SWmoto versus dealer prices) and no shipping charges to boot??? I assume that SWmoto is making a profit with their price structure. What does that say for the dealers?

Breeze

I think if you research this topic you'll find that the tire manufacturers have many different price structures in place..............................
all based on VOLUME of purchases.

The more you buy the cheaper you buy.

I have a local dealer that is a MAJOR dunlop dealer, www.cernics.com and they aways have a good deal on dunlops, of course they buy them by the trailer load.

If I was a bike dealer I'd quit selling tires as the tire manufacturers have stacked the deck against dealers.

Just my opinion.
jason

OK, Business 101.

The difference is you can walk in and have your tire in minutes as opposed to waiting a week.

For this convenience, you pay.

If you're on the road somewhere, you can visit a dealer and get a tire.
Or, you can get a motel and pay for a mail order tire to be overnighted.
Which costs more?

You pay more for a gallon of milk at 7-11 than you do at the supermarket because it's more convenient.

I agree. I've paid for tires while on the road, and I understand I'll have to pay more at the dealer and why. When I'm at home and have the time, I'll go with SW Moto. I've had good experience with them, and so have my riding buddies, one of whom had to return tires, but was satisfied with how they handled it.

Yes, you do pay for convenience. Last summer I had my bike in for some service when the dealer called and told me I needed new tires. I knew this, and I was planning to get new tires before I went on a trip. I had an "oh, what the hell" moment, and let them put on new tires, even though I knew it would cost more. It saved me from having to order tires, riding to my buddy's place to take off the old ones, mount the new ones, and dispose of the old ones.

A pack of AA batteries costs more at 7-11, but it sure is convenient to buy them on Christmas day when your kid wants to use the new toy Santa left him. You pay for convenience.

The last time I purchased from SWMoto the front tire arrived with a damaged bead. The distributor had cinched a bundle of tires too tightly. We couldn't get it to seal.

You must not have been the only one. Last time I ordered I was surprised they came in a box. Problem resolved.

SW Moto

Ditto on the box delivery. I think Blaine got the message.

As for the business 101 geniuses....consider this....BMW dealer as convenience store analogy, brilliant....How about BMW dealer as fair market price service and parts provider. Wow, what a concept. I suspect that Metzler charges dealers wholesale prices whether they be generic or branded dealers. Volume differentials are likely to be minimal.
An excessive markup is simply that, however you rationalize it. Perhaps it makes you feel m ore secure. This doesn't work for me.
I don't t buy tires at a convenience store. I plan for my motorcycle maintenance. I don't let some service manager tell me what I need, especially since most dealerships have "service projections" on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Learn the skills to service your bike. Take the money you save and invest it.
Spare me the naive business pronouncements. I run a real one.

Breeze

As for the business 101 geniuses....consider this....BMW dealer as convenience store analogy, brilliant....How about BMW dealer as fair market price service and parts provider. Wow, what a concept. I suspect that Metzler charges dealers wholesale prices whether they be generic or branded dealers. Volume differentials are likely to be minimal.

Written based on a breathtaking lack of understanding of business.

Being a motorcyclist doesn't bring any "entitlements."

Sorry.

(Which is not to say someone still isn't out to get you.)

Other than the comprehensive stock, fast order fulfillment, low prices and free shipping, the thing I like BEST about SWMotoTires is that when they ain't got it in stock, they won't sell it to you.

Past experience with a variety of tire suppliers hitting my credit card for a pair of tires and then only shipping ONE because the other is on back order has soured me on each of them FOREVER. Few things suck worse than paying for something expecting to receive it and then waiting... and waiting... and waiting... because the folks you thought you bought it from never had it in stock when they sold it to you.

As longtime Tennesee BMW rider Al Franklin said, "When I don't have 'em, I GIVE 'em away!"

SWMotoTires does NOT list out-of-stock items. That ROCKS! (imho)

+ infinity on SWMoto!

I have purchassed at least 10 sets of tires from them, and my friends 30 more sets, and they have always been fast, inexpensive and right!

Excellent company!

Jim :brow

Ditto on the box delivery. I think Blaine got the message.

An excessive markup is simply that, however you rationalize it. Perhaps it makes you feel m ore secure. This doesn't work for me.
I don't t buy tires at a convenience store. I plan for my motorcycle maintenance. I don't let some service manager tell me what I need, especially since most dealerships have "service projections" on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Learn the skills to service your bike. Take the money you save and invest it.
Spare me the naive business pronouncements. I run a real one.

Breeze

I don't think we need MBAs for this discussion. I understand that BMW dealers don't make a ton of money on their bikes, so they make it up on used bikes, service, parts and accessories. I don't like their pricing, but I understand it. They charge as much as the market will bear.

I do as much of my own service as I can. Other times I have to rely upon the dealer. I look for parts and accessories at cheaper prices, often buying them second hand on these boards. Other times I'm stuck buying a part from a dealer.

+1 on SWMoto
and
+1 on Tiresunlimited

TU has TKC-80s for a great price; as fast as SW too. So, it depends on what I'm buying (for which bike).
Greg

Back