• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centerstand ooomph

Alan Coles pretty much summed it up. Find a friend with an old LT and practice. After becoming adept at lifting that pig every other bikes becomes child's play. The big thing is you can't be timid about it and let the bike become unbalanced. Find the balance point with both legs of the center stand on the ground, and then . . . go for it.

Alan Coles pretty much summed it up. Find a friend with an old LT and practice. After becoming adept at lifting that pig every other bikes becomes child's play. The big thing is you can't be timid about it and let the bike become unbalanced. Find the balance point with both legs of the center stand on the ground, and then . . . go for it.
The K 1200 LT had an electric centerstand. Practicing with that doesn't count. :)

Not sure how similar the GSW center-stand is to my RTW or my other bikes, but the real trick, is that it is mostly your body weight that is used to get it up on the stand.

This is what I do, it is fairly simple and if you're already doing it, sorry to not be of help.

Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab (move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground). The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike or railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands. Shouldn't require a lot of effort, as much as a smooth and fluid motion. The BMW center-stands are designed to do most of the lifting part from your body weight going through your foot.

CAUTION: Having ripped the tendons in my left calf doing exactly this, I would recommend to everyone that they do NOT use the ball of the foot. Use the instep - as long as you're wearing boots it won't hurt your leg. Stand on the extension of the centre stand with your full weight and pull lightly as above. DON'T stand on the ball of your foot and heave, if you don't want to wreck your leg. I did mine 5 years ago and I don't think it will ever be right.

You might try setting the ESA to 2 helmets to max out the pre-load.
This would make it somewhat easier to put on the center-stand.

All about technique

"Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab (move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground). The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike or railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands. Shouldn't require a lot of effort, as much as a smooth and fluid motion. The BMW center-stands are designed to do most of the lifting part from your body weight going through your foot."

This is excellent advice plus you might try this too...If you have the electronic suspension, change the preload to the "two helmet" mode. By doing this the suspension reaches its tallest level. Then the effort to place the GS on the center stand is greatly reduced!!!

This technique works great for me. I've had no issues with 2 previous big GSs and no big deal with my 2014 1200gsa. I'll even get it on the center stand, wearing slippers ( in garage ) . Although not recommended. I'm only 5'8. 175 lbs

CAUTION: Having ripped the tendons in my left calf doing exactly this, I would recommend to everyone that they do NOT use the ball of the foot. Use the instep - as long as you're wearing boots it won't hurt your leg. Stand on the extension of the centre stand with your full weight and pull lightly as above. DON'T stand on the ball of your foot and heave, if you don't want to wreck your leg. I did mine 5 years ago and I don't think it will ever be right.

... Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab ... as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands. Shouldn't require a lot of effort, as much as a smooth and fluid motion...
James, it's very unfortunate that you hurt your calf so badly, but that could not have occurred from attempting to place the bike on the center-stand as I had outlined.

If you had/have to "heave" (which one should not do) than you are doing it all wrong. The "pull up and back with your hands" should be an effort much less than lifting a 40 lb box. As I pointed out if the procedure is done correctly, it "shouldn't require a lot of effort". The liflting (heaving) work is done by the center-stand itself not by the rider.

The idea is to put your body weight on your foot, virtually nothing more.

Please don't suggest to people that they use their instep, the instep is the weakest part of the bottom of your foot and the easiest to damage. The ball of your foot is designed to hold your body weight and much more. Your injury was to your calf, not your foot, which would further suggest that there was way too much pressure put on the leg by actually trying to lift the bike up rather than rock it backwards onto the center-stand. There is a link to a video of the proper procedure further up in this thread, I think you'll see that they are likely using the same technicque that I described.

Here's another link to Chris Harris doing it. Notice each time he uses the ball of his foot not the instep.

I hope that helps demonstrate the procedure better than words can.

On another note (I watched Chris' video to make sure his foot position was visible), he also used a technique that I've used for many years when working on my bikes wheither it's on the center-stand on the floor or the lift. You'll see that he uses a tie-down strap from the front wheel to the center-stand. If anyone isn't familiar with the strap Chris is using in the video, it is a BMW factory "crate" strap. They've been used for many, many years to secure the bikes being shipped from the factory. Several BMW dealers sell these straps. I have several in my garage and always have two on my bike. They've come in handy for many purposes over the years.

Sierra BMW sell 4 for $5. http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/bmw-motorcycles-factory-lashing-tiedown-straps-straps-used-bmw-r1150gs-strapon-p-645?osCsid=qiij4fc6ka9pkvljkhml2jltp6

So how much do folks weigh that this is so easy for? I weigh 165 and can put all of my weight on the stand on my R1150R - that is the other foot off the ground dangling in the air - and the bike will not go all the way up on the center stand without significant lifting with my arm/upper body.

Maybe heavyweights can do it with the foot alone. At my weight standing on the stand does NOT do it.

And if standing alone is supposed to do it, why did BMW put a lift handle on the bike?

So how much do folks weigh that this is so easy for? I weigh 165 and can put all of my weight on the stand on my R1150R - that is the other foot off the ground dangling in the air - and the bike will not go all the way up on the center stand without significant lifting with my arm/upper body.

Maybe heavyweights can do it with the foot alone. At my weight standing on the stand does NOT do it.

And if standing alone is supposed to do it, why did BMW put a lift handle on the bike?
I agree ! Foot + arm/upper body.

No need for further evidence, it's not very easy with the newer R12GSw. My R12R was not hard and after I added Ohlins it was easy! I am able to get to the center stand but it not always slick, and I don't want to risk a spectacle if in a pubic place. So I ordered the Wunderlich handle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul, it is a combination of all the actions/motions outlined.

It is all about learning and executing (correctly) the proper technique. That doesn't mean there isn't effort involved, nor that there won't be situations where nothing seems to work, just that there is an overall method that has been time-proven to work for folks from 150-350 lbs.

The idea is that the weight of your body (165lbs) does "most" of the work, not all.

As one starts to press down on the center-stand tang with the ball of their right foot they also (at the same time) pull the bike up and back using their left hand on the left handlebar grip and their right hand on a secure point on the bike close to just below the rear seat. As I suggested before, the effort that one is putting into actual lifting shouldn't need to be anything more than around that used to lift about 40-50 lbs (my rough estimate - never used a spring scale to measure it).

I'm currently 200 lbs, so in the center-stand deployment area, that's one area where my lack of self-discipline may help me. ;-) However, it definitely is more about fine-tuning the technique and developing a good smooth rhythm than one's weight.

When I was a 145 pound 20-year-old a lot of people used to have issues kick-starting the Norton Commandos. I never had an issue, even after rebuilding it with over-sized pistons and increasing the compression. Had I just gone up to the bike and tried to stab down on the kick-starter my scrawny little a** wouldn't have budged it much at all, but using the proper technique (kick it over 2-3 times before turning on ignition or fuel, bring it up on the compression cycle, turn everything on and lift your body weight up and then kick on the down stroke), I never had any trouble and still don't with Nortons. I used to be able to kick-start them while straddling them with no stand down.

A few years later I bought a brand new 1977 Suzuki GS750 (558 lbs vs 574 for a GSW / 604 for RTW) and my 145 lbs never had any trouble with putting it on the center-stand.

Today, I'm mid-60's, 197 lbs with a bad back, fused lower vertibea, and bad knees (misspent youth and club racing motorcycles). Even after a 600+ mile day with my panniers and 49L top-case loaded I put the RTW on the center-stand when I arrive at a hotel for the night. It's not as easy then as at noon, but it isn't going to hurt my body - if I use the techniques outlined in the videos employing well coordinated fluid movements. Sometimes, if I'm really tired it may take a second effort to get the motion to be fluid and well coordinated, but that has nothing to do with weight or strength and everything to do with a heightened degree of physical and mental fatigue interferring with my smoothness/timing/coordination - far better to stop for the night prior to that onset, but sometimes we push barriers.

Paul,

It's just a matter of proper technique. Go out in the garage and practice. In time you'll get it and, possibly, qualify for a slot in the NYC Ballet.

For those, like me, there's a simpler approach....I'm content in knowing that BMW saved a few pennies in deleting the nifty fold-out or integrated handle they've had on bikes for several decades. Much the same as the separate turning signal buttons....handy, but no longer truly BMW.

Last edited:
Paul,

It's just a matter of proper technique. Go out in the garage and practice. In time you'll get it and, possibly, qualify for a slot in the NYC Ballet.

For those, like me, there's a simpler approach....I'm content in knowing that BMW saved a few pennies in deleting the nifty fold-out or integrated handle they've had on bikes for several decades. Much the same as the separate turning signal buttons....handy, but no longer truly BMW.

It is not that I can't put a bike on the centerstand. I am simply rejecting the notion that was stated in more than one post above that you do it all with weight on the stand. Maybe true for the 250 or 300 pounders - not true for us 165 pounders.

Back