• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wireless charger on 22 RT with iPhone 14?

mosrrt

Can’t get the wireless charger to work on a 22RT .
IT would never work on my iPhone 12 mini . Now I have a new iphone 14 and that does not work .
I have moved it around in the wireless charger , put it in backwards , with and without a slim cover .
So is there a setting on the iPhone preventing it from working ?
Or is there some trick to make it work 🤪😡
Thanks

I don’t get the “mini” reference either :scratch

That said, everything has to be “just so” for wireless charging to work…..as there is a lot going on.

Try getting it to work while the bike is parked with the power on. If you can get it to work stationary, it will give you a chance to see how it is supposed to “sit”, allowing it to work.

You can then take it on the road and check it after a few bumps.

Also-
How do I turn on wireless charging?
You can do this by going to Settings > Battery and device care > Battery. Then you can scroll to More battery settings. Here, you will have the option to toggle fast wireless charging on or off. If it is turned off, the smartphone should still be able to be charged wirelessly, but it might just take a little longer.Sep 22, 2022

Unless I was in a luxury vehicle, I would skip it. ;)

OM

I don’t get the “mini” reference either :scratch

That said, everything has to be “just so” for wireless charging to work…..as there is a lot going on.

Try getting it to work while the bike is parked with the power on. If you can get it to work stationary, it will give you a chance to see how it is supposed to “sit”, allowing it to work.

You can then take it on the road and check it after a few bumps.

Also-
How do I turn on wireless charging?
You can do this by going to Settings > Battery and device care > Battery. Then you can scroll to More battery settings. Here, you will have the option to toggle fast wireless charging on or off. If it is turned off, the smartphone should still be able to be charged wirelessly, but it might just take a little longer.Sep 22, 2022

Unless I was in a luxury vehicle, I would skip it. ;)

OM
The iPhone 12 mini is an apple cell phone …smaller than standard iPhone 12 ……
I have done all the things suggested …..several times ….
I went into settings on the phone ,there is nothing on wireless charging ……..I call Verizon store and they said there is no functions to turn on or off wireless charging …
I can use the power cord to charge but it is jammed in there ……phone with charging cord are just too long to fit in there …….

That was with the iPhone mini ….now that is gone and replaced with a iPhone 14 …….bigger phone …. But still will not work …..

Do you have a wireless charger for it aside from the bike that works? If I was diagnosing, I'd ensure it works off the bike first and there aren't any issues with the phone.

Just a thought about diagnostics. From there, you'd know it was an issue with the bike, not the phone itself. I have one of the Apple charging pads, which deliver charge at the phone's full capacity.

You may need to unlock your phone for it to start charging, just FYI, so that might be something to check. In my car, when I plug it into the USB off my stereo, I have to "unlock phone to use accessories". This may be true for your phone, as well.

I hope that's helpful.

Do you have a wireless charger for it aside from the bike that works? If I was diagnosing, I'd ensure it works off the bike first and there aren't any issues with the phone.

Just a thought about diagnostics. From there, you'd know it was an issue with the bike, not the phone itself. I have one of the Apple charging pads, which deliver charge at the phone's full capacity.

You may need to unlock your phone for it to start charging, just FYI, so that might be something to check. In my car, when I plug it into the USB off my stereo, I have to "unlock phone to use accessories". This may be true for your phone, as well.

I hope that's helpful.

Works in the Ford explorer just fine …….phone is unlocked because it running bmw connect mapping ……

I think originally the larger phones were referred to as a + (plus), so I didn’t recognize the “mini” term.
I would still try to see if you can get it to work while parked. If it does work, you can move on to how much “jarring” it takes to make the charge indicator to shut off.

OM

Can’t get the wireless charger to work on a 22RT .
IT would never work on my iPhone 12 mini . Now I have a new iphone 14 and that does not work .
I have moved it around in the wireless charger , put it in backwards , with and without a slim cover .
So is there a setting on the iPhone preventing it from working ?
Or is there some trick to make it work 🤪😡
Thanks

The placement is quite sensitive. For my iPhone 13 to work reliably, it needs to be inserted with the bottom of the phone facing the rider and the lock clip to be engaged. Don't move the phone once it's in place.

Are you getting any status lights? Green or yellow?

The placement is quite sensitive. For my iPhone 13 to work reliably, it needs to be inserted with the bottom of the phone facing the rider and the lock clip to be engaged. Don't move the phone once it's in place.

Are you getting any status lights? Green or yellow?

Yes off and on ,green / yellow ……

Will the green light be on once fully charged ? Or does it go yellow when fully charged ?

Last edited:
Yes off and green / yellow ……

Will the green light be on once fully charged ? Or does go yellow when fully charged ?

You may need to turn on your battery percentage feature for an indicator of battery charge. The battery indicator will show green when charging, yellow when below 20% (low power mode).

All this information is in settings. Just scroll down.

OM

You may need to turn on your battery percentage feature for an indicator of battery charge. The battery indicator will show green when charging, yellow when below 20% (low power mode).

All this information is in settings. Just scroll down.

OM
When the phone is in the wireless charging pocket you can’t see any of that …….
I do know about the phone settings and it’s none of the phone …….it’s an issue with the charging pad …….

I do know about the phone settings and it’s none of the phone …….it’s an issue with the charging pad …….

Sounds like you have it figured. :thumb

OM

So the wireless charger and phone work together in the Ford...but doesn't work on the bike. Seems like it comes down to power to the charger or an issue with physical position of each item.

Yes off and on ,green / yellow ……

Will the green light be on once fully charged ? Or does it go yellow when fully charged ?

According to the manual green is charging and yellow is either over-temp or disruption on the charging pad. Flipping between the two on my bike is when there isn't a solid lock between the pad and the phone (positioning). It does seem quite sensitive to placement in the cubby, which I suppose is why the lock is there - to keep it in the right position.

In other words, it doesn't work very well if at all. :banghead

Bring it to the dealership and let them show you how to use this feature. It’s a new bike so it’s under warranty.
Let us know what they did.

OM

Back