• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

School me on BMW top boxes

thequickervicar

I've got a '15 R12R and I'm looking for a proper top case. Coming from a K1200LT, I'll be looking for as much luggage capacity as possible when traveling with my wife. It seems the only box BMW offered for this bike from factory is the 30L, p/n 77 43 9 829 379. A box that small hardly seems worthwhile. I would love to be able to put a box from an RT or big K16 on the back but I think they use different mounting systems. Can anyone tell me what will definitely fit my R or point me in the direction of something that will tell me what might interchange? Thanks.

If the stock RT or K1600 box will not fit you rack you are probably stock with the small BMW top case or aftermarket.

I think there was a kit you could buy to change the mount to the RT or k1600 style, perhaps search the parts breakdowns. This maybe it, I am not certain. https://bmwparts.calmoto.com/p/BMW__R1200R/Luggage-grid/70578415/71607653017.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&feedLabel=cvb_make_model&kwd=&matchtype=&device=c&network=g&userLocation=9020758&googleCampaignID=18149735669&googleAdGroupID=141636130018&googleAdID=620430510428&googleExtensionID=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLOiBhC7ARIsAIeetVDVktDNKo7GsRK-CDf7sPHaAi4cix-6qUkrxIUtOX3x8XDm2VXUiygaAkFyEALw_wcB

Welcome to the forum.
The boxes in Kurt's link are for the GSA rack and probably won't work on your R1200R.

The Vario top box for the Wethead years will fit the rack on a R1200R/1250R and R1250R/1250RS rack.
The R and RS have the same rack.

Vario Top Box @ Engles (3).jpg

Vario box on RS.jpg

The 49 liter S1000XR top box will fit with a minor modification. There's a small bump on the bottom of the case you need to remove. I'll try to find a picture showing what has to be removed.
This box cost about the same as a RT box.

XR-GS 49 liter Topcase.jpg

Go with aftermarket

I recently traded my 1200RT in on a GS and was baffled the top box(s) that I mounted on my 2009 and then 2015 RT would not fit the GS. BMW builds a different top rack so consumers have to purchase a different top box to match, this sucks for those with multiple motorcycles (not me I am too cheap. Well I declined the BMW top box for this reason and went aftermarket with adapter plate, now I can just buy a different adapter plate next time I change bikes and have a lot more options for styles and sizes of cases, saved a $700.00 buying a used GIVI off Ebay than the Factory Vario.

Back