• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to me 2016 Rt - I have questions

nevada72

Vintage User
Greetings All! Been a MOA member and BMW rider for a long while now. The 2016 RT is my newest BMW of the 6 I have owned. I also have a 71 R75/5. I traded a Yamaha FJ09 and a HD Street Glide in on the RT. Oddly enough it feels like a perfect blend of the two - speed and comfort. I'm super happy to have it. It's a one owner bike from Idaho. But I bought it from a local outfit that acquired it so aside from the one owner info, I have no background on the bike. I do know it is super clean and appears to have been loved. It has 19K miles on it with an extended service contract until 2023 btw.

With that in mind I have a few basic questions that I'm hoping the membership can help me out with -

1 - The color is Ebony Metallic. It looks dark brown to me. Am I seeing things?

2 - I hear some 2016s have "soft" cams. Is that something obvious? I'm thinking I'll take it to the BMW dealer and have them check the service history. Maybe it's been addressed.

3 - I need a passenger backrest for the wife. There doesn't seem to be many to choose from (unlike HD). I've settled on the Sargent adjustable, but they are proud of it at $360. Any other options?

4 - It looks like the rack is designed to accept some sort of quick release for a top box - Is that correct? If so, can anyone point me at a source?

Backup makes a backrest, they are proud of the price too!

There is three top cases that fit the stock BMW rack, all are from BMW! There is no aftermarket case that locks on to the BMW rack. Givi and other companies can supply a plate you bolt on and use the like branded top case.

I have the same color, I call it root beer
Pull the valve covers off, if you have soft cams it will be very apparent
I have the small top case with the optional back pad, no complaints

I have the same color, I call it root beer
Pull the valve covers off, if you have soft cams it will be very apparent, only a small percentage of bikes are affected
I have the small top case 28L with the optional back pad, no complaints, check your local dealer they usually have them in stock or eBay

I have the same year, different color. I have both the 49 liter top box and found a Backup brand backrest on Ebay, we switch back and forth. The top box just clips on and takes less than a minute, don't wast your time with the central locking version having to unplug it sucks. The backrest involves taking the passenger seat off and removing two screws. We only use the top box when going overnight due to the extra weight up high. The side cases are plenty big for day trips. I would have preferred the small top case to the backup backrest so it would be easier to swap, plus having the little bit of space would be great.
As far as cams, I just had dealer do a valve adjustment and cam timing, that way they get inspected. Its not overly expensive. I believe that issue is one of the either you have it or not.

The cam issue is not isolated to 2016 bikes and I believe that it is possible on all wethead bikes.

That being said, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Percentage wise, it is a small number of bikes, and if it is going to happen, it is going to happen. The best thing you can do it keep up with the maintenance schedule and use properly rated consumables.

For the backrest, as others have stated, the trunk has a backrest built into it, so that is an option that covers storage as well.

20210624_101339_Cropped.jpg

The cam issue is not isolated to 2016 bikes and I believe that it is possible on all wethead bikes.

That being said, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Percentage wise, it is a small number of bikes, and if it is going to happen, it is going to happen. The best thing you can do it keep up with the maintenance schedule and use properly rated consumables.

For the backrest, as others have stated, the trunk has a backrest built into it, so that is an option that covers storage as well.

View attachment 84416

Great pic. Yellowstone?

I will be adding the tourpack from my Harley. Yeah, yeah.......sounds hokey maybe. But it's a quality unit that holds a lot of stuff and has a backrest. We will only use it for long trips and it will be a good conversation starter when meeting others on the road. :D

But we still want a backrest for local rides. It looks like either Bakup or Sargent. Bob's is out of the Bakup for now.

Edit - Bakup ordered direct.

Great pic. Yellowstone?

Yes, someone took this for me when I was riding to the Rally a couple of weeks ago. This day from Jackson WY to Columbus MT (which included Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Bear Tooth Pass) was the best one of my whole trip.

Back