• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are you going to Hamburg ? Where are you coming from ?

Ed that sound like a plan thank you very much.
Hal

I did a write up for the ON on routes to the rally from the south that didn't get published. It'll give some more details and gps waypoints to use. I'll dig it up later and post a couple of excerpts.
There are some nice roads down that way and all along the finger lakes.

East TN for my first rally

I'll be coming from northeast TN to attend my first rally on my 2014 R1200GS that I won in the MOA Foundation Superstakes back in December '14. Looking forward to it!

I did a write up for the ON on routes to the rally from the south that didn't get published. It'll give some more details and gps waypoints to use. I'll dig it up later and post a couple of excerpts.
There are some nice roads down that way and all along the finger lakes.

Ah, here it is for those of you coming up 219:

Start at the Memorial to Flight 93, the United Airlines flight that was hijacked on September 11th and crashed near Shanksville,PA.
The first two waypoints from there are Punxsutawney, PA (Groundhog Day central) and Ellicottville, NY. This will have you start on US 219, then run a bit west before rejoining US 219, going through Allegheny National Forest and then passing through Bradford, PA before crossing into NY and continuing to Ellicottville.
Bradford gives you the chance for a quick stop to visit the Zippo Lighter and Case Knife Museum. Ellicottville (a.k.a. E-Ville) is a ski village with plenty of options for dining and stretching your legs.
Note Well: Just north of the PA/NY border onus 219 the road surface is pretty choppy for a bit and the speed limit in the village of Limestone drops and is ”likely to be enforced”.
Continuing north from E-Ville, route 219 becomes a divided highway near the town of Springville. If you want to make time, just cruise the highway. However, avoiding the highway is easy as there are alternate roads that parallel it at a minimal cost in time.
To run just a bit west of Rt 219, add in waypoints for the following:
405 South Cascade Drive in Springville
Morton Corners, NY
New Oregon, NY
East Eden, NY

Approximately 260 miles, 5 ½ hours of riding.

Possible side trip is to visit the Kinzua Bridge State Park, the site of a railroad bridge that was blown down by a tornado, you can walk out on the remaining portion for a great view of the gorge that the bridge crossed. This adds about 20 minutes to the trip plus the time you spend viewing the bridge.

if you're coming up RT 15 from PA

Here are a couple of suggestions:

Start near the village of Tioga, PA if your route brings you up US 15 or you connect to US 15 off of US 6 near Mansfield, PA. Also, there is camping near Tioga at the Army Corps of Engineers Ives Run Campground near the Tioga-Hammond Lakes and at the Tompkins Campground near Cowanesque Lake.
From there you will head north on US 15, a divided highway, for a bit before jumping off on NY 417 to the west toward Addison, NY with a couple of options:

Option 1- Head toward Addison and then on Canisteo River Road through Cameron, NY. From there use waypoints of:
6376 County Route 68, Hornell, NY
Alfred Station, NY
Belmont, NY
Belfast,NY
8537 Boston State Road, Boston, NY
(the last point is used if you want to avoid the expressway part of RT 219 as noted above, this point will keep you just to the east)

Approximately 140 miles, 3 ½ hours

Option 2- Head toward Addison, from there push north through Hammondsport, NY in the Finger Lakes wine country, up the west side of Keuka Lake and then west toward the rally. As you approach Hammondsport you will go right by the Glenn Curtiss Museum, a good stopover. Glenn Curtiss was an aviation pioneer who also dabbled in all sorts of transportation including motorcycles. You can see a replica of his 1907 V-8 powered world record speed holder (136.36 mph).

Waypoints:
3 East Front Street, Addison, NY
Risingville, NY
6758 State Route 415, Bath, NY
Hammondsport, NY
Branchport, NY
2790 Italy Turnpike, Branchport, NY
10145 Main Street, Dansville, NY
Nunda, NY (pronounced Nun-Day)
8537 Boston State Road, Boston, NY

Approximately 170 miles, 4 hours

Coming in from...

UCLA. Thats the "Ugliest Corner of Lower Alabama". Enterpise to the Rally via the GS Giant event in Sigel, Pa. See ya'll at the Rally

Jim

PS The same town as "Ranger Reece" so don't hold that against me. LOL

UCLA. Thats the "Ugliest Corner of Lower Alabama". Enterpise to the Rally via the GS Giant event in Sigel, Pa. See ya'll at the Rally

Jim

PS The same town as "Ranger Reece" so don't hold that against me. LOL

Ah Jim your so funny. Rhonda and I are leaving the weekend prior hitting a family reunion enroute to arrive early to help out in Hamburg. Skipping the GS giants event as my RT would not perform well at that event.

See you guys at the Rally Reece. Russ and i will be camped in the GS Giants area. Ride safe

Jim

Ill be looking for ya. I'm sure Rhonda and I will have our tent pitched where they tell us to. I'm looking forward to it. First National and all...

Edgewood Ky (burbs of Cincinnati at The Ohio)...

...via West Virginia about July 5th (White Sulfur Springs) & the GS Giant gig ( The Hamburg Helper! ) in PA.
The National outbound likely via Bruce Peninsula/Georgian Bay - Sioux St Marie/MI UP, into Oshkosh WI (some aviation event)
then a nice cornfield jog across IL/IN back to the "bastard zone" of...
NO BMW Motorrad Dealership in a metro area of 1.5mil WITH a Charter Club... Cincy!

Getting new rubber at Hamburg...

"travel'n" john

From Rockville, MD via Delaware Water Gap NP, Mt Washington NH, Quebec, Lake Champlain and Adirondack Park.

By the way I set up this online map so everyone going to the Rally can feel free to post a selfie, comment and general location. http://arcg.is/28L2wng

Thanks for setting up that system for photos, krgorton! Looks like a lot of us will be wandering around the Adirondack park before or after the rally. Two of us (one Yankee Beemer, one former Yankee Beemer now in TX) will be setting up with friends in Saranac Lake, NY. See you up there!

Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway

I'm planning a leisurely ride from Northern Georgia along the BRP and US219, camping along the way. Anyone care to join me? Send a PM.

Back