• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Torque Wrenches do you have? Type and brand and model?

Periodic testing and calibration is a requirement for any click type torque wrench. Inaccuracies due to failure to calibrate, improper use or improper storage is a fault of the user, not the tool.

Periodic testing and calibration is a requirement for any click type torque wrench.

The difference is, a quality tool will stay in spec and periodic calibration verifies that. When periodic calibration shows no change, you can extend the calibration periods. I have and the next check also shows no change.

The difference is, a quality tool will stay in spec and periodic calibration verifies that. When periodic calibration shows no change, you can extend the calibration periods. I have and the next check also shows no change.

What difference are you talking about? I don't see any mention of any "differences" in this thread. My HF 1/2" is about seven years old, the 3/8" and 1/4" are about five years old. I check them at least once a year, depending on how recently I've needed them. On one occasion I tightened up the 3/8" wrench by about 1 ft-lb, partly to get closer agreement between wrenches and partly just because I could. That was the only time any of them has been adjusted. By your definition the Harbor Freight wrenches are quality wrenches. Their low price makes them good value.

You have a ways to go. Mine are 40 years old. ;)

BTW, what facility calibrated them?

I'll have my grandson give you a report in 35 years. I expect to be long gone by then.

It would be kind of silly to pay someone to calibrate a $10 wrench wouldn't it? It is a simple matter to apply a known weight at a known distance from the drive center and calculate the torque applied. A digital scale, a couple fixed weights and a bucket of sand or gravel work well for fine tuning the weight. If needed, wrench adjustment requires a little trial and error to narrow down the exact setting, but it isn't rocket science. Plenty of how-to's on YouTube. Check at a few different torque settings, check for repeat-ability, it's done. Within it's range, the digital adapter has proven to be consistent, and works well as a reference for the 1/2'" and 3/8" drives.

nelliott was looking for tools for basic maintenance. My experience has been that the HF torque wrenches work well without defeating the cost saving advantages of DIY maintenance. Test before trusting? Sure, but that applies to any torque wrench.

It would be kind of silly to pay someone to calibrate a $10 wrench wouldn't it?

I guess, but then why even bother using a torque wrench at all if you aren't certain of its accuracy.

I wonder if GE (the aircraft engine division) or the Aerospace industry use those HF torque wrenches. Somehow I doubt it.

Sort of like there must be a reason why shipping and aviation do not use a SPOT (other than as a toy) for SAR purposes.

If money is no object and status is important by all means get a big name brand. Otherwise, Harbor Freight's 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" wrenches are highly rated, accurate and can be had for about $10. I got one a couple years ago to replace my aging Craftsman beam and am very pleased with it.

It's a huge misunderstanding of the market to state that professional mechanics tools are sold on the basis of status. And it's the joke of the year to state that anything from Harbor Freight is "highly rated." But anything to rationalize buying cheap stuff. Have you seen the DirecTV "settler" commercials?

It's a huge misunderstanding of the market to state that professional mechanics tools are sold on the basis of status.

Status? Yeah right...nobody sees me with my Snap-On tools or my Porsche Carrera (I'm always on back roads, not cruising city streets) and if I had a Rolex, it would be hidden under a long sleeve shirt. Some people buy stuff for the wrong reason.

I'm at the top of the mechanical heap with my Langstrom 17" Ganglee Wrench. It's unmatched status- says Steve Martin.
OM

I forgot how condescending and arrogant BMW owners are when I posted about the HF wrench. Same as tire plugs, if you don't trust it don't use it. But don't condemn others who get by perfectly fine with them.

Torque Wrenches

I'm not new to MC forums, but I am new to BMWMOA, and I was also surprised by the vitriol of some of the responses. I suspect that I am in the same boat as many of you in regards to tool acquisition - I'm not buying a $75 wrench if there's a reasonable alternative. I read many reviews about torque wrenches, have looked at many of them "in the flesh" in many different stores and types of stores. To my eye, the HF ones are identical to many sold under other brand names and at vastly varying prices. Having worked in the engineering disciplines for years, I like tools, accuracy, and am capable of testing torque wrenches for at least general accuracy (and I DO test mine). The fine print on any torque wrench's literature will reveal a range of "acceptable tolerance" for that tool; some of the best ones are just not that refined a tool. I also find that after forty or so years of wrenching I can detect when a torque wrench is really off "by the feel". And, the purpose of a torque wrench is to provide some measure of tightening so as to not break or damage the bolt or fastener by overtightening and also to not promote spontaneous disassembly by undertightening. Various factors in real life will make those forces vary (temperature, etc); a torque wrench is a "range wrench".

I have three clicker wrenches - all 3 Craftsman. One is an inch pound 3/8 inch drive, next is a 3/8" drive up to 100 ft lb., finally a 1/2" drive up to 300 ft.lb. I also have a 20-300 ft.lb 1/2" drive beam type wrench and a 10-100 ft.lb 3/8" drive beam type. Between the 5 I have what I need.

This is the digital torque wrench I have used since '09. I had to replace the batteries, once. It is very effective and easy to use. I always have set on Nm as I use it almost exclusively on the bikes. If it's in a position where I'm getting close to the set torque it beeps, as I reach the set torque the tone goes solid. When I pull it off the bolt it gives me an exact digital read out on the LED down to tenths.

I just torqued my wheels recently. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Sale!

Sears had their Craftsman click type torque wrench on sale for $40 today, regular priced $80.

Back