• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Torque Wrenches do you have? Type and brand and model?

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
or recommend?

Hi all,

General questions (I am looking to purchase the "necessary" tools to do basic maintenance on a 2008 RT).

I signed up for the lifetime online access to the Haynes Manual for this model (any comments here on accuracy/goodness of this manual?)

1. What brand of tools do you have/recommend?

2. What type, model, make of Torque wrenches do you have? (including range in NM for each wrench; and driver size 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"). (click, digital, split beam, other?)

3. Is it useful to have a various angle head? Or stick with a straight wrench?

Last edited:
I have a 3/8" Craftsman Digitork click type 5 to 110 Nm.

I need to buy another one for the small stuff.

Last edited:
Snap-On Digital Torque Wrench. Saved a bunch by buying on Ebay and having it re-calibrated by Snap-On

Craftsman 3/8 and Proto 1/2...both click-type.
Never liked the digital or dial type because you can't always see the readout.

Torque Wrench, Electronic, Techwrench®, Flex Ratchet, 5 to 100 ft-lb, 3/8" drive
Retail Price 460.00 My price on Ebay 150.00

CDI owned by snap on, search the model you want, then Amazon is your friend
Quality tool, more expensive than Sears a lot less than snap on

As for Haynes, I like the actual paper book. If you can print the pages, should be just as good.
As for torque wrenches, I have a number of wrenches- inch pound to 600ft lb. Seeing as you are looking for something specific to the bike, have a look at access and go from there. I favor the "click" style as it allows me to pay attention to the fastener no matter what the position.
Chances are you will need an inch pound and a 1/2" 50lb to 250lb as the small don't measure high enough and the large don't measure small enough.
I have found most brands measure fine right out of the box, it's the "stability" over usage that gets "iffy". I don't think you can go wrong with a couple from Sears (Craftsman).
OM

Left to right

Park Tools, beam, 0-7Nm

Craftsman clicker, 3-29 Nm

Craftsman clicker, 5-110Nm

Thorsen beam, 0-100 Ft/lbs

Craftsman, clicker, 0-150 ft/lbs

The reason for so many; I work on things that range from high end bicycle components up to torquing wheels on my travel trailer. I find they are only real accurate in the middle of their specified range.

IMG_2440-M.jpg

Canadian Tire - Mastercraft

All good Canadians should get the CT brochure weekly (or use the web site), so watch for a clicker 1/2 in torque wrench to go on sale. I think you need some model that runs around the range 10 to 100 newton-metres for most maintenance uses, but look at your manual and see if other sizes will be needed for any other jobs you anticipate doing.

I think Mastercraft still has the Lifetime warranty provision.

All three of my Snap-On torque wrenches are the "click type"...no batteries required and more reliable in the long term.

A 3/8 inch unit is probably the most useful for the range you are most likely to be in. Then a 1/4 inch drive unit.

Have a look at Precision Instruments. They make them for Snap-On and are cheaper price-wise.

You're not looking for warranty. You are looking for accuracy and most importantly, repeatability. One of my Snap-On torque wrenches is now 40 years old and still well within spec.

Also, a torque wrench is not something I would buy "used".

I own two Stahlwille torque wrenches, a 6-50 nm model # 730/5 and a 40-200 nm model # 730/20. They carry Mercedes part numbers 001 589 72 21 00 and 001 589 67 21 00 respectively. I'm fairly certain there are VW/Audi part numbers for these wrenches as well and of course they are just available from Stahlwille dealers too. Made in Germany.

These wrenches are click type and do not require zeroing between uses and are perfectly fine for loosening as well as tightening, as they only measure torque in one direction. They have removable and reversible ratchet heads, so if you do need to torque something left-hand threaded, just remove and reverse the head. The removable heads feature allows fitment of crowfoot wrenches and other open end and box end adapters where a socket won't fit--no recalculating required. The BMW special tool for removal/reinstallation of the R1100S transmission drain plug is made to fit one of these wrenches. For one of these wrenches, I have both 3/8 and 1/2 in ratchet heads.

http://www.stahlwille.de/en/home/

What a great question to ask? These tools are expensive and having some user feed back is pretty nice......
This is why this forum is so useful. Forget the other stuff........

I have some older Craftsman wrenches. I don't think I would purchase any more Craftsman tools. I have worn out some ratchet wrenches and had them replaced for free. However, the replacements are rebuilds that wear out quickly. They are junk! I still use the two Craftsman Torque wrenches I own. As long as they work they will be my "go to" wrenches. My replacement policy will be no more Craftsman for me....

Snap-On, SK, Proto, from what I have read are pretty solid......

John

If money is no object and status is important by all means get a big name brand. Otherwise, Harbor Freight's 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" wrenches are highly rated, accurate and can be had for about $10. I got one a couple years ago to replace my aging Craftsman beam and am very pleased with it.

Harbor Freight's 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" wrenches are highly rated, accurate and can be had for about $10.

How do you know? And how accurate are they after repeated use (called repeatability)? And who are they rated by, owners?

I know mine are. I calibrated them periodically at work.

And if you cannot put 100% trust in a measurement tool, then you might as well forget about even using one. Accuracy has nothing to do with status.

A quick search will turn up many reviews, including several by automotive magazines that had them professionally tested. The HF wrenches generally are found to be accurate within 1% (though advertised to be +/- 4%). I've tested all three of mine against my beam wrench, and by the old school method of hanging a known weight at a measured distance from the drive center, and came up with numbers of about 2%.

I also use the HF 1/2 In Drive Digital Torque Adapter. Seems to be equally accurate.

How do you know? And how accurate are they after repeated use (called repeatability)? And who are they rated by, owners?

I know mine are. I calibrated them periodically at work.

And if you cannot put 100% trust in a measurement tool, then you might as well forget about even using one. Accuracy has nothing to do with status.

https://vimeo.com/142671986

:deal

OM

Back