• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires changes @ the rally...

Metzlers at Franks Motorcyles................................

I understand that Metzlers truck will be at Franks Motorcycle Sales Http://www.franksmotorcyclesales.com in Essex Center (ten minutes from Rally) during the week of the rally. A person could likely reserve/schedule a set by calling Franks. (802-878-3930)

Frank's BMW

I stopped by Frank's BMW last week. Lots of Ducatti and Triumph stuff and a little bit of BMW items. A few BMW jackets (at full list price) and that was it for accessories. I asked about if they were going to be bringing in extra items
for the rally and the young lad almost laughed at me. No mention of the tires.
Are BMW's designed to travel for miles and miles so we can locate a dealer that will respect the customer?? Makes one wunder!

It is getting worse in the central US. At least seven BMW dealers are gone in the last two years. In case someone riding through doesn't know, these dealers are gone--Indianapolis, South Bend, St.Louis, Rockford, Peoria, Rock Island, Cincinnati. Most were exclusive BMW.
Happy trails.

A few left in this crossroads of America are--Iowa City, Geneva, Champaign, Louisville, Fort Wayne.

Rally tires

Sufferin_Boothead said:
I stopped by Frank's BMW last week. Lots of Ducatti and Triumph stuff and a little bit of BMW items. A few BMW jackets (at full list price) and that was it for accessories. I asked about if they were going to be bringing in extra items
for the rally and the young lad almost laughed at me. No mention of the tires.
Are BMW's designed to travel for miles and miles so we can locate a dealer that will respect the customer?? Makes one wunder!

Check out the letter from Lester to the Rally Attendees on the Rally home page. Quite different story from what you are portraying.

Friedle

westmount said:
Will any tire companies be selling at the rally ?

I know that Rob( the tire nazi) from azmctires.com will be there,workin'like a rented mule,doin'a professional job,removin'n'replacin'tires. He's the best in the business,imho... :wave

Frank's BMW

Hey Friedlee ....Don't panic.
Hope Franks comes through in the end.
What would I know anyway, I'm only a paying customer who talked to their staff in person last week and felt the negative vibes.
With this dealer being so small and carrying so many brands, perhaps
the 'fear factor' is sinking in knowing all of the customers that are on the way!

Better read the letter. Buy a Metzeler rear tire and get a front tire free.

Oznay said:
I know that Rob( the tire nazi) from azmctires.com will be there,workin'like a rented mule,doin'a professional job,removin'n'replacin'tires. He's the best in the business,imho... :wave

I've emailed him twice for info and pricing, but no response yet. :dunno

Franks BMW

Sufferin_Boothead said:
Hey Friedlee ....Don't panic.
Hope Franks comes through in the end.
What would I know anyway, I'm only a paying customer who talked to their staff in person last week and felt the negative vibes.
With this dealer being so small and carrying so many brands, perhaps
the 'fear factor' is sinking in knowing all of the customers that are on the way!

Dear Boothead - perhaps Lester knows that his market area is too small to survive on only BMW sales. If we want the convenience of small dealers scattered throughout the country we need to accept the fact that they will sell whatever brands and products are appropriate for their specific markets. We must also understand that they can't sell at tiny profit margins and stay in business. The bottom line is that we can't expect big box pricing at the small dealerships. In almost 20 years of dealing with Franks the service has been excellent and the pricing very fair. Lester has never exhibited any "fear" of new business. He has even gone to the trouble of arranging for the Metzler tire truck to be at his dealership, putting up a covered area at his shop for BMW riders to work on their bikes, offering daily price specials, free oil and filter disposal, etc. I believe your impression of his interest in BMW is incorrect and I urge you to visit his shop again and speak with him in person.

Not to worry

Unregistered said:
A few left in this crossroads of America are--Iowa City, Geneva, Champaign, Louisville, Fort Wayne.

Check with you favorite tire marque to find out what other brands of motorcycles wear the same size tire as your BMW, and the substitute size.

The 1100 oilheads and Buell had some tires that interchanged.

Frank's

being able to maintain a BMW dealership in such a small area is prob difficult, so they carry other brands. We only have 500,000+ ppl in the whole state. not exactly a perfect business location, for a unique brand motorcycle. I think we are lucky,considering a metro area like St Louis can't maintain dealer.

anytime.. spoon um on

I always bring spoons and mount the new set myself. Back in the '80's, early 90's this was a very common practice. The new radials without tubes are so.... much easier.
robert :bolt

Franks Letter

Friedle said:
Check out the letter from Lester to the Rally Attendees on the Rally home page. Quite different story from what you are portraying.

Friedle

OK, I'm interested, but can't find the letter. Of course most web pages are opaque to me.

Tires for your bike at rally

It has been my experience that buying tires at the national rally, unless an emergency, is not the best way to go. There will be plenty of vendors to sell you tires. I observed some price gouging at the Spokane rally on tires. Usually the lines are long as well, so unless you don't mind tying your bike up for the day, then I would suggest you either arrange for a stop at a dealer along the way to the rally, or put on new rubber before leaving home.
I would also suggest(if you don't already) you get yourself a good tire repair kit like the stop'n go and one of the small air compressors that run off aux. outlet of your beemer. ( these are available on line) or will certainly be at the Rally.
You never know when you might pickup a nail, screw, etc. and get a flat.
While the stock bmw kit is okay for large screws and bolts, it's still very difficult to plug a tire with, and three tries your done.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

I have never been able to understand the number of riders that ride to rallies on worn out tires and get them changed at the rally. To change a tire on the road that is not do to wear or that rider is on a long trip and will wear out the tires before he could be back home is one thing but the numbers I have seen that leave home with tires that should have been changed long before the rally weekend or the start of a trip is just plane stupid. Some people do not care what is under their butt just like what is on their head.

Don

donbmw said:
I have never been able to understand the number of riders that ride to rallies on worn out tires and get them changed at the rally. To change a tire on the road that is not do to wear or that rider is on a long trip and will wear out the tires before he could be back home is one thing but the numbers I have seen that leave home with tires that should have been changed long before the rally weekend or the start of a trip is just plane stupid. Some people do not care what is under their butt just like what is on their head.

Don

Well,I love poundin'on the miles,and I also like to support my buddy Rob ( the Tire Nazi),so I will somehow try to see that I'll be needin'a tire while I'm at a rally that he'll be at,since that's how he supports himself,and it's just a kick to be'round,watchin'the show.There's always more than enough t'do at a rally,that I find I'm not needing my bike every day,all the time. :bikes

Back