• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Changing Station at Redmond??

gsinnc

Does anyone know if there will be an oil changing station in Redmond? My trip will be 8000 miles total and I usually change my oil no longer than 4000 miles. So I will need an oil change near the time I hit the Rally. In the past I have changed my oil at the Rally but the last 2 rallies they did not have the oil change station set up I believe because of availability of a disposal tank. Anybody have any insight for Redmond?

Does anyone know if there will be an oil changing station in Redmond? My trip will be 8000 miles total and I usually change my oil no longer than 4000 miles. So I will need an oil change near the time I hit the Rally. In the past I have changed my oil at the Rally but the last 2 rallies they did not have the oil change station set up I believe because of availability of a disposal tank. Anybody have any insight for Redmond?
I have been in contact with the chair handling this and the wash area. He states that they will probably not be offering an oil change area due to lack of use, and problems with oil disposal.

Thank you VERY much! That was actually my concern since in the prior couple rallies they had disposal issues and did not offer the oil change option.

At least now I have time to figure out an alternative plan

Parking lot of an AutoZone, buy a cheap/small receptacle for the drainage, and return the used oil at the store...
I did that one time while far from home. That was in the days when I had to carry some extra engine oil in case I needed to top
off the old airhead.

YMMV

Yeah .... while I would gladly ship my oil to the Rally and do it there ... not sure I'm up for doing it in a parking lot of an AutoZone. But appreciate the suggestion.

Are there any dealers planning on being at the rally to offer services?

Remember when independent service operators like Doug Wentzell used to show up at rallies and do everything from oil changes to clutch replacements?

Best,
DeVern

WOW .. check this out .... and right in Bend !!

For general information, I have changed oil at Walmart and Auto Zone at least two dozen times over many years. I simply buy my new oil there, and ask at the service desk or counter if it is OK to change my bike oil. At Walmart they usually ask if I need a pan, even if I bought an aluminum turkey roasting pan in advance. State laws vary but most stores which sell oil must accept used oil in many states. And many service reps are more than willing to help a traveler. As a last resort I can always send Voni to deal with a service guy, and even if this seems sexist, it often works.

For general information, I have changed oil at Walmart and Auto Zone at least two dozen times over many years. I simply buy my new oil there, and ask at the service desk or counter if it is OK to change my bike oil. At Walmart they usually ask if I need a pan, even if I bought an aluminum turkey roasting pan in advance. State laws vary but most stores which sell oil must accept used oil in many states. And many service reps are more than willing to help a traveler. As a last resort I can always send Voni to deal with a service guy, and even if this seems sexist, it often works.
I needed Voni the last time I tried to do this at a Wal-Mart. I was all set up to do the change and had just crawled down to do the drain plug removal when someone from the store stopped me and said I couldn't do it there, I think it was in Oregon but can't recall now. I found somewhere.

So far M-Tech in Bend looks like my best option. They are right in Bend and looks like they are familiar with BMW's. Will give them a call about a month or so before and schedule on Wednesday before the Rally. Should be easy.

Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 12.19.55 PM.png

So far M-Tech in Bend looks like my best option. They are right in Bend and looks like they are familiar with BMW's. Will give them a call about a month or so before and schedule on Wednesday before the Rally. Should be easy.
Make the reservation this next week and call again a couple weeks before the rally to confirm your reservation.

A filter can easily go 8k miles, so it’s pretty simple for only oil. I did one in the parking lot of an O’Reilly’s in Fairbanks, AK. Bought oil and a cheap plastic pan, spread out a plastic tarp I’d been carrying along as a temporary workplace/shelter/whatever, and did the change. Naturally, I asked first—there was some hesitancy until I mentioned I had the tarp I’d be using—and after dumping the oil in their recycle tank donated the pan back to them “for the next motorcycle traveler.” A FLAPS in a smaller town, or a quick-lube joint, on the way to/from the rally may be easier to work with than one in the “big city.”

Good luck,
DeVern

Back