• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service along the way to the rally

ahd43

Estimating my spring mileage I may need a 24,000 mile service along the way out to Redmond.

My route I have chosen ( for now anyway ) will put me near 2 dealers in Iowa. BAK in Sioux City or Vern Eide in Sioux Falls.

Does anyone have the good, bad or ugly of either of these places or any other recommendations? I have been to Engles in KC, and Sturgis Motorsports and like both but....

Thanks, Marty

Maybe also consider Sturgis?

Sorry can't vouch for either of those folks. My experience was with Iowa City BMW. Nice folks. I balded a tire coming back from Billings, got there 15 minutes before they opened. I got a warm welcome and cup of coffee, and back on the road in 45 minutes.

Sorry can't vouch for either of those folks. My experience was with Iowa City BMW. Nice folks. I balded a tire coming back from Billings, got there 15 minutes before they opened. I got a warm welcome and cup of coffee, and back on the road in 45 minutes.
In my case returning home from the Salt Lake City Rally, my ‘87 K developed an electrical issue just before reaching Iowa City. Waited an hour while the only mechanic was at lunch (not a problem) only to have him take about two minutes or less to look at the bike and was told it was an old bike so problems were inevitable; and told me to be on my way. I certainly would not recommend Iowa City BMW.

Great thing about Sturgis…
both camping & motels within Walking Distance should you require a cold engine block/case for valve evaluation.
BMW and/or “some” dealers require that.
Overnight bike in the shop… no issue at Sturgis.

Sturgis has been great twice when I called a day out that low beam bulb was out and far from home. I'd be in the area later that day but would like to get it in the next morning. No problem, be here at 8am. Upon arriving, bike immediately pulled into the shop and 40 minutes later, back on the road.

Can't recommend them enough for the short notice help.

Sturgis has been great twice when I called a day out that low beam bulb was out and far from home. I'd be in the area later that day but would like to get it in the next morning. No problem, be here at 8am. Upon arriving, bike immediately pulled into the shop and 40 minutes later, back on the road.

Can't recommend them enough for the short notice help.
Let me tell my favorite Sturgis BMW story. Somewhere in central South Dakota, while on a trip from Texas to British Columbia, I carelessly banged my Nolan Helmet and split the face shield right down the middle. I taped it so it was more or less usable but the black electrical tape stripe between my eyes was a huge bother. So when we got to the Black Hills we did a bee line to Sturgis BMW. I inquired about a new Nolan face shield. They didn't have any in stock so I immediately moved over to the helmets that they had, shopping for a new helmet. I looked at several and tried a few on. About that time the Parts Manager asked one of the staff to see if Nolan faceshields were available in the catalog. I'm thinking we can't wait that long but then hear the Parts Manager tell the employee to go in the back and take a shield off an in-stock helmet and order a replacement to be put back on the helmet. He then puts the new shield on my helmet, rings us up, and wishes us a safe and good trip. That is SERVICE!

Last edited:
Let me tell my favorite Sturgis BMW story. Somewhere in central South Dakota, while on a trip from Texas to British Columbia, I carelessly banged my Nolan Helmet and split the face shield right down the middle. I taped it so it was more or less usable but the black electrical tape stripe between my eyes was a huge bother. So when we got to the Black Hills we did a bee line to Sturgis BMW. I inquired about a new Nolan face shield. They didn't have any in stock so I immediately moved over to the helmets that they had, shopping for a new helmet. I looked at several and tried a few on. About that time the Parts Manager asked one of the staff to see if Nolan faceshields were available in the catalog. I'm thinking we can't wait that long but then hear the Parts Manager tell the employee to go in the back and take a shield off an in-stock helmet and order a replacement to be back on the helmet. He then puts the new shield on my helmet, rings us up, and wishes us a safe and good trip. That is SERVICE!
The second year there the service manager helped my brother and I reconnect the cardo's which had stopped communicating while I waited for the low beam. Thing is, I didn't ask. He heard me talking to my brother and spoke up about bringing them in and he'd get them reconnected. Customer service is stellar there as you found out.

Have you ever had a flat tire?
A couple times. But I've never left home with the notion that I'd try and see how far I got on a tire and then try to replace it on the road. When we were in Billings, I caught a flat in Idaho or something and wound up getting it swapped at the rally.

I usually do my own service, but preplanned service at Iowa City and The Motorcycle Store in Anchorage on my Alaska trip. Both worked out well as I knew that I would need tires in Alaska. It is good to know what you might need and plan accordingly. Get on someone’s schedule and you should be fine. Safe trip.

Doug

Back