• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Our 2025 Rally : The What, Where & Why... Lebanon Tennessee : June 19-21 2025

I'm fine with any location within a one day ride for me up to 1,200 miles. So I'll book a room in Lebanon in July that's as far ahead as the motels will let you book a room.

Organizations of many stripes have churn. Of every group of new members, some will stay and some will leave. Folks "try-on" membership and decide if the organization is for them. Some decide it isn't. Some just aren't joiners. Some have no interest in rallies. Some like the Owners News but with the internet it is a less needed source of information. Sometimes opinionated members drive new folks away. "What- you are not ATTGAT!!!!". Or "You chopped up that /5, how dare you", or other critical comments. So yes, members will come and members will go. Our hope is that enough stay to keep the organization viable.
I work at a Software as a Service company and churn is something we monitor very closely.

I think that beyond churn, the other useful metric is retention: when someone joins, how long do they typically remain a member before they cancel?

We run "exit surveys" with folks that have left us and have learned all manner of information from our clients about why they leave us. Does the MOA do similar? It's very labor intensive, so I'd expect not.

But it will yield the exact source(s) of dissatisfaction that led that member to leave. Get enough of the same themes and you've got something to work on.

Organizations of many stripes have churn. Of every group of new members, some will stay and some will leave. Folks "try-on" membership and decide if the organization is for them. Some decide it isn't. Some just aren't joiners. Some have no interest in rallies. Some like the Owners News but with the internet it is a less needed source of information. Sometimes opinionated members drive new folks away. "What- you are not ATTGAT!!!!". Or "You chopped up that /5, how dare you", or other critical comments. So yes, members will come and members will go. Our hope is that enough stay to keep the organization viable.

This is getting off the topic of this thread, but for me, the concern about the churn rate of the MOA is that it has been so high - in my opinion high enough to say that the club is not offering enough to enough people. The generational desire of the Baby Boomers to join others with similar interests just to belong is not nearly as strong for younger generations, and that "need" can be satisfied for them through social media groups without any dues.

The reality is that for the vast majority of our members the only tangible benefit of membership is a monthly copy of the ON, which is much smaller than it's been in decades, and probably shrinking, and worse is a format that just doesn't appeal to the majority of people under 40. For those who go to the national rally there is an admission discount, and for the minority that participate in forums, there is this one, but even it has far fewer participants than during it's peak decade or more ago. Our Facebook feed it open to any Facebook member. Oh, there's a sticker for your bike. :cool:

The sole attempt in my memory to bring a new direct riding activity to every member as a member benefit - the Grand Coddiwomple - was the project of a very small group of volunteers who brought it to the MOA on a platter, and only asked for a few thousand dollars a year to make it possible. Although it's developed a very dedicated following about the size of all of the yearly Getaway Weekend attendees, this volunteer group has receive essentially no recognition, feedback, or support from anyone in the MOA "management" - not even, "Thanks!". It was also hoped that the Coddiwomple would inspirate the club to try other similar kinds of member-only activities to add value to a membership - but so far, crickets.

So, my concern that about our membership value proposition still remains, and our churn rate is high enough that we are not growing.

The sole attempt in my memory to bring a new direct riding activity to every member as a member benefit - the Grand Coddiwomple - was the project of a very small group of volunteers who brought it to the MOA on a platter, and only asked for a few thousand dollars a year to make it possible. Although it's developed a very dedicated following about the size of all of the yearly Getaway Weekend attendees, this volunteer group has receive essentially no recognition, feedback, or support from anyone in the MOA "management" - not even, "Thanks!". It was also hoped that the Coddiwomple would inspirate the club to try other similar kinds of member-only activities to add value to a membership - but so far, crickets.

So, my concern that about our membership value proposition still remains, and our churn rate is high enough that we are not growing.

There are a few issues with using the Coddiwomple to bring in younger riders...
  1. The points system favors retirees or C-Suite people with lots of vacation & $$ to roam, be away, and get lots of points.
  2. So far the challenges have greatly favored the eastern seaboard (except this year) where possible locations are much denser.
  3. Some of the rules have been hard to follow and could have been a little looser to make the advanced challenges just a little easier to obtain. Especially for the cross-country based challenges where once you get a tag, you aren't likely going to be able to go back and revisit a location to re-take a picture after a coupe days if you aren't freely roaming the US for a month.
For example, with this year's challenges, the Pony Express locations - if someone is following the trail and an image gets rejected for whatever reason, backtracking to fulfill a tag for the large bonus would be challenging - especially if it was rejected on a minor technicality.

I really do appreciate the folks the are volunteering as both organizers and judges, don't get me wrong, and think that the board SHOULD give them props for what they've put together. And I have fun getting the small number of points that I am able, even if slightly frustrated by being hamstrung on the challenge selections... :)

There are a few issues with using the Coddiwomple to bring in younger riders...
  1. The points system favors retirees or C-Suite people with lots of vacation & $$ to roam, be away, and get lots of points.
  2. So far the challenges have greatly favored the eastern seaboard (except this year) where possible locations are much denser.
  3. Some of the rules have been hard to follow and could have been a little looser to make the advanced challenges just a little easier to obtain. Especially for the cross-country based challenges where once you get a tag, you aren't likely going to be able to go back and revisit a location to re-take a picture after a coupe days if you aren't freely roaming the US for a month.
For example, with this year's challenges, the Pony Express locations - if someone is following the trail and an image gets rejected for whatever reason, backtracking to fulfill a tag for the large bonus would be challenging - especially if it was rejected on a minor technicality.

I really do appreciate the folks the are volunteering as both organizers and judges, don't get me wrong, and think that the board SHOULD give them props for what they've put together. And I have fun getting the small number of points that I am able, even if slightly frustrated by being hamstrung on the challenge selections... :)

I mentioned the Coddiwomple as an example of how to add value to an MOA membership, and I don't want to get into a discussion of it's pros and cons. Everything can be made better, and I know that the Coddiwomple Team is all ears about any constructive feedback sent to their email address.

I will say that it's the only MOA riding activity that you can participate in without *having* to travel long distances. It is NOT about collecting points, but rather an excuse to ride to new places. It is designed to be easy to Complete (to get a pin and certificate) but difficult to score high points. Completion only requires 300 points (typically 6 photo submissions) for those with limited riding time or resources. But, if someone wants to go for broke then there's almost no built-in limit to total points. I Completed the 2022 Coddiwomple in one afternoon and never was never more than 20 miles from home. OTOH, a couple of years ago the top points finisher was under 50 years old, works a demanding full-time job, and is also actively involved in local club activities.

I mentioned the Coddiwomple as an example of how to add value to an MOA membership, and I don't want to get into a discussion of it's pros and cons. Everything can be made better, and I know that the Coddiwomple Team is all ears about any constructive feedback sent to their email address.

I will say that it's the only MOA riding activity that you can participate in without *having* to travel long distances. It is NOT about collecting points, but rather an excuse to ride to new places. It is designed to be easy to Complete (to get a pin and certificate) but difficult to score high points. Completion only requires 300 points (typically 6 photo submissions) for those with limited riding time or resources. But, if someone wants to go for broke then there's almost no built-in limit to total points. I Completed the 2022 Coddiwomple in one afternoon and never was never more than 20 miles from home. OTOH, a couple of years ago the top points finisher was under 50 years old, works a demanding full-time job, and is also actively involved in local club activities.

In the car world, Cars and Coffee is how folks of all types get together around cars.

The club should be running Bikes and Beans around the country, IMHO. It’d be an amazing recruitment opportunity for local clubs. Even my local Porsche club does this as a way to get members together in a casual way. The 356 folks have their own and the regional club runs one a couple weeks later.

It doesn’t cost a penny to do and once established, it can draw in other riders and expose them to the MOA. We have FB and Insta to publicize it. No points, no nothing other than “let’s hang out over coffee then get on with our day”.

We just want frequent contact with low commitment and time requirement to build a club identity.

Many folks don’t have a weekend or even a full day, especially with kids. But an 8 to 10am weekend morning at a local coffee joint with a line of bikes out front is totally within their abilities. Pick a Starbucks or whatever and set it up as second Sunday of the month or something. Publicize it locally and ithink we can develop another “product” to get riders together.

No offense, but Grand Coddiwomple sounds like the name of a barbershop quartet made out of handlebar mustaches and Model Ts. Maybe we could lever on the ADV aspects of finding new places and tie us to the most vibrant riding community today with a more modern name and value prop?

And I still can’t believe that we don’t have an organizational level of participation or support in the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride. It benefits basically our entire membership base.

We need deliverable product to show value for membership in as many ways as possible. We have opportunity available, but it won’t be in the social circles or structures the club has typically operated in.

I’ve always maintained that we, as a club, are great at selling to the already sold, but we are not great at selling ourselves outside of that sphere. If you’re not a sport touring rider, we kinda don’t have much to offer unless you’ve got the time and money to travel.

Edited to add some context: When I was on the board, we had one offering for events: the national rally. We added the weekend getaways, which seem to be super well received given the frequency and range of places we run them. If you think about those on a sort of time commitment arc, the national is a big commit. The weekend getaways may be a 4 or 5 day commit, depending. A Bikes & Beans? Two hours, less if that's all you've got.

I think it's an opportunity for us to meet potential members where they are, rather than hoping we stay viable long enough that when they're empty nesters they'll join.

We have regional coordinators and local clubs to do the tactical work here, so maybe we kick in a little to help them print stickers or the like to give away. I bought 200 custom stickers (Screw Cancer Ride Bikes) when my wife was sick and it was like $80 from Sticker Monkey.

If there's any interest on the part of the board, I'd be happy to write something up and send it over.

Last edited:
In the car world, Cars and Coffee is how folks of all types get together around cars.

The club should be running Bikes and Beans around the country, IMHO. It’d be an amazing recruitment opportunity for local clubs. Even my local Porsche club does this as a way to get members together in a casual way. The 356 folks have their own and the regional club runs one a couple weeks later.

It doesn’t cost a penny to do and once established, it can draw in other riders and expose them to the MOA. We have FB and Insta to publicize it. No points, no nothing other than “let’s hang out over coffee then get on with our day”.

We just want frequent contact with low commitment and time requirement to build a club identity.

Many folks don’t have a weekend or even a full day, especially with kids. But an 8 to 10am weekend morning at a local coffee joint with a line of bikes out front is totally within their abilities. Pick a Starbucks or whatever and set it up as second Sunday of the month or something. Publicize it locally and ithink we can develop another “product” to get riders together.

No offense, but Grand Coddiwomple sounds like the name of a barbershop quartet made out of handlebar mustaches and Model Ts. Maybe we could lever on the ADV aspects of finding new places and tie us to the most vibrant riding community today with a more modern name and value prop?

And I still can’t believe that we don’t have an organizational level of participation or support in the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride. It benefits basically our entire membership base.

We need deliverable product to show value for membership in as many ways as possible. We have opportunity available, but it won’t be in the social circles or structures the club has typically operated in.

I’ve always maintained that we, as a club, are great at selling to the already sold, but we are not great at selling ourselves outside of that sphere. If you’re not a sport touring rider, we kinda don’t have much to offer unless you’ve got the time and money to travel.

Edited to add some context: When I was on the board, we had one offering for events: the national rally. We added the weekend getaways, which seem to be super well received given the frequency and range of places we run them. If you think about those on a sort of time commitment arc, the national is a big commit. The weekend getaways may be a 4 or 5 day commit, depending. A Bikes & Beans? Two hours, less if that's all you've got.

I think it's an opportunity for us to meet potential members where they are, rather than hoping we stay viable long enough that when they're empty nesters they'll join.

We have regional coordinators and local clubs to do the tactical work here, so maybe we kick in a little to help them print stickers or the like to give away. I bought 200 custom stickers (Screw Cancer Ride Bikes) when my wife was sick and it was like $80 from Sticker Monkey.

If there's any interest on the part of the board, I'd be happy to write something up and send it over.
I meet mostly Harley guys for coffee every Sat at 6am about 4 miles from the house and we're dispersed by 8:30. We may do a day ride from there, or an event they're into with Harley's that day. There can be 3 there that morning or a dozen.

I just recently found a small group of bmw guys who meet at a local coffee shop every Sunday from 7-9am just 5 miles from the house. Made one meet and greet a few weeks ago, everyone was friendly enough. I may do that once or twice a month as well. There were 8 total with one riding other than a beemer [ a GW ].

Close, not but a few hours if you want to stay that long or just have get a coffee buzz and head out doing your thing.

I meet mostly Harley guys for coffee every Sat at 6am about 4 miles from the house and we're dispersed by 8:30. We may do a day ride from there, or an event they're into with Harley's that day. There can be 3 there that morning or a dozen.

I just recently found a small group of bmw guys who meet at a local coffee shop every Sunday from 7-9am just 5 miles from the house. Made one meet and greet a few weeks ago, everyone was friendly enough. I may do that once or twice a month as well. There were 8 total with one riding other than a beemer [ a GW ].

Close, not but a few hours if you want to stay that long or just have get a coffee buzz and head out doing your thing.
They're easy, right?

When I was leading the Yankee Beemers, there were two meetings: the one inside with a presenter and an agenda and the other in the parking lot with a whole bunch of folks just kicking tires and telling stories.

I think we could replicate the parking lot "meeting" and make some new friends.

For any folks in the Bay Area, I'm probably riding my /2 to the Pre-Stage Gathering at the Marin County Civic Center this Saturday. It's a car event, but bikes are welcome. The cars are generally not the stuff you see out just driving around. I've seen a Bugatti E110, a crazy VW that got 250mpg, an old school Mercedes sedan on a 750i chassis; you name it.

Bring your cool old bike. Maybe I'll see ya there. It might give us a launching point for our own bike event in the North Bay if there's interest.

They're easy, right?

When I was leading the Yankee Beemers, there were two meetings: the one inside with a presenter and an agenda and the other in the parking lot with a whole bunch of folks just kicking tires and telling stories.

I think we could replicate the parking lot "meeting" and make some new friends.

For any folks in the Bay Area, I'm probably riding my /2 to the Pre-Stage Gathering at the Marin County Civic Center this Saturday. It's a car event, but bikes are welcome. The cars are generally not the stuff you see out just driving around. I've seen a Bugatti E110, a crazy VW that got 250mpg, an old school Mercedes sedan on a 750i chassis; you name it.

Bring your cool old bike. Maybe I'll see ya there. It might give us a launching point for our own bike event in the North Bay if there's interest.
I do enjoy meeting the Harley guys on Sat mornings. Been doing that for over a year almost every Sat. Many of them belong to an honor guard for mil vets and make runs for vets events that raise money for them in the Phx area through the Phx VA.

There's a few other motors there like the guy who has two Harleys and will show up on a K bike, or another that might show up with a Triumph or Ducati or his new to him MGuzzi V85tt. They'll ride with anyone who wants to join them no matter what you ride. I was welcomed into the groups private messaging group a few months back so I'm able to see upcoming events they're planning.

Last year we did a 250 mile ride r/trip to the traveling VN memorial wall well north of us in the valley of the sun. There had to be 30 motors show up that morning and stage where we meet for coffee. Great times and we were back by mid afternoon. What's great about that group I meet is one or more of them will make the effort to help you out if you're stuck on the road [ bringing trailers where you don't need to wait for a tow ]. They've become a resource of sorts if one of them gets in a jam.

In the Kansas City area there are the "ROMEOs" With a lack of regard for the women members, ROMEO stands for "Retired Old Men Eating Out." They meet for breakfast or lunch frequently.

Unfortunately, I have to take my son somewhere for a school required event (Don't get me started on it), so I will be unable to attend. But, I'd love meet up with for coffee and conversation. The following weekend I'll be at the 49er Rally in Mariposa.

Back