• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This is a rant. Is it me? or are my meds interacting?

Wait, so is using a $30 tent a good thing or bad thing? Mine was a penny under $30, is a true 3 season tent, but really only fits one, though is described as a 2 person.

Speaking of meds, what was this thread about again???

I think it was about the uniformity of the stereotypical MOA member and how some feel they don't fit in.

Like all you guys with your high fallutin' $30 tents. I got mine for $20.

And those guys all dolled up in the best BMW gear. My boots were made by Honda. On closeout at Sierra Trading for $35. I tried blacking out the name with a felt pen but it kept wearing through so f*** it! My Firstgear stuff was bought at Motorcycle Closeouts and my helmets were on closeout at Motorcycle Superstore.

I've never been to a National (might try Redmond if I have the time though), but have been to several Nor-Cal events. Have ridden with groups of about a dozen Nor-Cal members at a time to various campouts (it makes the lunch stops more entertaining) but prefer to ride with my wife.

The part of the MOA that has been priceless over the years is the tech forum. I've not only learned about all the possible things that could go wrong with my bikes and their fixes but I've met some really good people (they own K75Ss so they must be good people).

I can see that some people might be a place in their life that they feel they are not getting adequate return for their membership dollar. But that is dependent on what they are searching for. We all search for different things at different times. The one thing most of us do have in common is that we find it on the road on two wheels.

I hope SHIRE2000 finds what he is searching for. I bet he finds it on two wheels.

:dance:dance:dance

I don't have a Kermit chair. Heck, I don't even have a BMW anymore, just one of those cheap, worthless, soulless Honda ST1100s. I know that because I read it on this forum.

I did give $95 for my tent. Does that make me highfalutin?

I stays for the magazine.

Ralph Sims

How about a thread on what's the best $30 tent, $30 can buy?:D
I bought a GREAT $30 tent for about $100 , but that was a long time ago, before I got married and still had money. (insert appropriate emotion here)

We don't fit in because we were told at a young forum age that we do not reflect the membership at large and we are nothing but a loud minority. We are crybabies because we are too cheap to buy a lifetime membership when they had them or if we had one we were MOA liabilities. They tell us to try yoga and I have a hard enough trying to get my leg over the bike to ride. I can't even get Harley Riders to wave to me so what asset can I be in the MOA marketing sphere ?

A bad example ?

I bought a GREAT $30 tent for about $100 , but that was a long time ago, before I got married and still had money. (insert appropriate emotion here)

My Eureka! Tent and my marriage both lasted as long as each other and they are still going strong! 25 years aint bad for an old tent!

That's where the metaphor parts from history because I also have a nicer lighter, younger tent that has one nice vestibule and nice straight poles, Eureka! while my wife has stayed beautiful as the day we went to REI together so many years ago!

REI used to be a 70 mile drive into "the City" (Denver) located across from Casa Bonita. We would spend our meger money on back packing stuff then go an eat at Bonita..looking back on the food...yuuuck:sick

But those great days with my new bride....wow...

We don't fit in because we were told at a young forum age that we do not reflect the membership at large and we are nothing but a loud minority. We are crybabies because we are too cheap to buy a lifetime membership when they had them or if we had one we were MOA liabilities. They tell us to try yoga and I have a hard enough trying to get my leg over the bike to ride. I can't even get Harley Riders to wave to me so what asset can I be in the MOA marketing sphere ?

A bad example ?

We have much in common, and you write much younger. :ha
:wave

Wait, so is using a $30 tent a good thing or bad thing? Mine was a penny under $30, is a true 3 season tent, but really only fits one, though is described as a 2 person.

Speaking of meds, what was this thread about again???

A thirty dollar tent is a good thing, that is, if it does not leak when the rain falls down! On the other hand, a thirty buck tent may be a bad idea when pitched on say, Mt. Everest! Besides, you don't have a thirty dollar tent, you have a $29.99 two, er, one man tent!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1-g9GH1qpg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1-g9GH1qpg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't have a Kermit chair. Heck, I don't even have a BMW anymore, just one of those cheap, worthless, soulless Honda ST1100s. I know that because I read it on this forum.

I did give $95 for my tent. Does that make me highfalutin?

I stays for the magazine.

Ralph Sims

Yo, highfalutin.:stick Why don't we work to establish a Honda subforum on the BMWMOA Forum. We could include guys who wear Honda boots (even blacked-out).:laugh We could even subdivide that into Women who ride Hondas, and Men who ride Hondas. Maybe then we would fit in..........and I could sleep at night. :bolt

One requirement......we need a Honda emoticon. :deal

Yo, highfalutin.:stick Why don't we work to establish a Honda subforum on the BMWMOA Forum. We could include guys who wear Honda boots (even blacked-out).:laugh We could even subdivide that into Women who ride Hondas, and Men who ride Hondas. Maybe then we would fit in..........and I could sleep at night. :bolt

One requirement......we need a Honda emoticon. :deal

The STOC forum has a BMW subforum, but an other brand subforum with this bunch, that's probably blasphemy :laugh.

I just remembered I also have a $25 Wally world tent, But I hide it in the closet :bolt

I do get "that looks like a BMW" comments on the ST1100. It does resemble a R1100/1150RT. Mine is a '91, the R1100RT did not come out until '96. I wonder who copied who?

I do think the Honda ST1100 and the BMW R100/1150RTs are the best looking STs ever produced, with the Moto Guzi Norge running a CLOSE 2nd.

Ralph Sims

Ralph Sims

:ha
attachment.php

Sure Roy, post that while I'm drinking Coke and now it came out of my nose and is all over the keyboard and screen. CUT THAT OUT :stick

:laugh

I am another that feels like I do not fit in, but it is not just here, that happens everywhere. Must not be you carbon based life forms.

However, the forum has tipped me off to check my final drive, so I caught that bearing failure with out getting stranded or eating asphalt.

Worth it right there

When I was doing a minor repair, and forgot which way something goes, I get a FAST answer.

I have not needed it but the anon book goes with me just in case.

I have went to one rally, made couple of new friends, mostly felt like I did not fit in.

Used to it anyway.

group rides from the dealer are fun.

I like some of the On articles.

I want to do a national just once. If only life would get out of the way and let me.

Can't blame that on the MOA, well I can but it would not be fair. What the heck, it is their fault. All my life problems are from the MOA!!!!!

Maybe I need a sign, disfunctional rider wants someone to ride with

I might just do that. IF my life ever lets me go to a rally.

Really, I just need for deer season to get over so I can ride enough.

At exactly the speed I want to ride, not one MPH faster or one MPH slower..

Because those guys are insane or too unskilled to deserve a bike.

And to top it all off, I love my wizzy ABS brakes! Love em, you hear!!!

I don't even use BMW OIL.

Or Metlizer tires!

maybe we can all agree to hate Harleys, no wait, some of the members own one of them.

Still, I think I will remain a member, if only to write this kind of post!

Rod

Great post Rod! But, I would also like to know if you have a tent. And if so is it a thirty dollar tent? Don't know if ownership of same means you fit in.....or not, but damn! Mention a thirty dollar tent 'round these parts and the keyboards sure do get a workout! Draws more responses than those Metzlers you refer to, or that BMW oil.

Dam,this rant caught all y'all's funny bones,that can't be right.

I was tempted to post NOTHIN,cuz that was what Dave said he wanted.And it was true.

But,I had to say,Hah!

I know Swider,and Paul and Voni,and Boxegrrlie,and Bradford Benn,and that guy from Boston and Rapid Roy..and I know of a bunch of other folk I would like to know.I know redclfco and statdawg too,though they don't know it.

I see Dave,you are a countryman and near neighbour.How about you and I do the Gold River road some weekend,or go to Port Hardy?Maybe we would ride to Redmond together.I am not a group rider either,and frankly,sometimes,some of the stuff people do,Really Bugs Me!!!!

I ride year round,I avoid only snow,so if you like,pm me and I will come over on the ferry on a decent weekend this fall and go for a ride.Or have lunch.You can see my fancy dress and farkles,if you want.

Back