• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This is a rant. Is it me? or are my meds interacting?

Hey Dave, that's certainly a provocative post! I am happy to have you in the club, but left wondering why you joined in the first place? Like, what was it you expected, a group this large to all be individuals or all alike?
I'll go on record(as have others in different choice of words) as not liking to be stereotyped , and that is just what you did to me. It is not appreciated, as I like most humans place a value on my individuality, especially in this mostly free society that I/we live in, including those that happen to join a club-evn the non-joiners like myself! In my previous working life I did people for a living(counselor,etc.) and placed a high value on the fact that everyone has a right to be ones self, thus always striving to not force my value system(some of them had a serious need for my value system) upon the other person. I fail to see what you are really after,but perhaps you got it out of your system, as it was in fact aptly called a "rant", after all. If your ever down Kentucky way, stop by my place for a cold one and we can talk about all the failings of the MOA and the rest of the world too.Seriously!:buds

Wow, Dave -- that was a hugely entertaining rant. You should go off your meds more often! :ha

Whoops! I used an emoticon -- don't go hyperbolic on me yet!

Seriously -- the tongue in cheek stab at the poseur mentality was a good read. Yes, there are some who appear to measure their status by having the latest, shiniest, and bestest. God love'em, there is room in the tent for them. Let’s face it, they take the hit on new bike depreciation and soon provide a good source of garage queen bikes for the rest of us.

And then there is the rest us. We just ride and for some reason we ride beemers. Some of us ride long distances and others of us stick close to home. Personally, I’ve done both. Some of us camp and others hotel it and yet others do both. When by myself I typically camp. But if my wife is with me we trailer the bike and I have to accept that her version of camping is called Holiday Inn, or some facsimile thereof…

So when I camp I lash my stuff onto the bike with a set of Helen's straps (once nearly lost an eye to a bungee cord -- lesson learned) and my tent is a Coleman I cheerfully received as a throwaway from a status climbing poseur. My sleeping bag is a Wally world kinda-sorta mummy that I "layer up" with a fleece liner when the weather gets cold. I do wear a Roadcrafter because I once did a t-bone type collision-imposed get off at 30 + mph and can testify from experience that jeans and an army field jacket are not designed to protect one from the blunt force impact of hitting the pavement at speed and then bumping and grinding unceremoniously down the road to a jumbled stop to await the arrival of the ambulance.

How I got into BMW's is post number 53 or 54 on the "first BMW" thread somewhere else on this site. A while back I got out of BMW’s and MOA for various reasons and recently got back in after purchasing an old airhead. Oddly, I was re-reading the first BMW thread this morning and had forgotten about my own post until I read it again. Sometimes life is strange like that and my draw to the particular brand of motorcycle repositioned me to recoup my affinity with the organization.

Do I agree with everything about the way MOA does business? No.

Do I feel some mystical bond, aka a "warm fuzzy shared heebie jeebie" with every rider who rides a BMW? No, but sometimes maybe.

Do I find a form of bemused satisfaction in the riders who seemingly root their personal sense of status and motorcycling identity in the latest, shiniest, and bestest obsession? Yes.

And do I find immediate value in the affiliation because of the brain trust of motorcycling wisdom within the rider's group, and because of the support that represents for me as a retread beemer owner. Absolutely.

Life is filled with paradoxes, so you've got to decide if you can accept an imperfect world and live with the ambiguity. For me that is a resolved issue.

In summary I have two contrasting thoughts --

First, if you insist on leaving don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out.

And next, if you opt to stay then put your heart into it and help continually recreate the value of the organization from which you have benefited -- imperfect though it is.

Your call, that.

Again, that was a pretty good rant! If affection were measured in terms of sarcasm, it would come across as deeply touching love letter. :heart

Whoops! 'Scuse me. There is that emoticon thing again... :stick

Stick around for the Anonymous book.

If you go the Redmond in July you may or may not enjoy all the people, but it is one of the best motorcycle shows on the planet, and the riding between BC and central Oregon is very excellent

sweet post!

I hope you hang around and vent more. Nothing better than tweaking the peck-sniffians (me channeling Brock Yates).

One who must not be named and whom I have known for many years derisively refers to "GS Druids". And I laugh every time, but then I always go for the cheap laugh.

The danger is always in taking yourself and your groups ideas too seriously as in eternal truth.

I'm reminded of this from Heinlein: "Everything in Moderation - Especially Moderation".

Let me present a counter-rant. Being from BC, you may find the format a little familiar.

Hey,
I'm not Ewan MacGregor
Or a motorcycle cop
And I don't live in a Roadcrafter
Or photograph every meal I eat
Or own a GPS.
And I don't know
Kbasa, Voni or Deilenberger from the MOA
Although I'm sure their bikes are really really nice.
I have an F650, not a GSA.
I type in complete sentences, not emoticons.
And I pronounce it At-Gat, not "agate".
I can proudly leave my MOA patch in my desk drawer.
I believe in conspicuity, not loud pipes;
preparedness, not luck;
And that the K75 is a truly bulletproof and indestructible animal.
An Icon is a helmet, an RT is a couch,
And it IS pronounced Beemer, not Bimmer! BEEMER!
My name is Eric and I am the MOA!

Eric, Loved your version of "I an Canadian".
Dave, I think we all feel we dont fit at some time or another; so what? stick around and give the National a try, You might even find you do fit after all.
Martin. :ca oppps

Ya know, I was one the originals to sign up on this forum. Check out my 'joined date' to the left. Yet I don't have all THAT many posts. Why? Because at times I felt like Dave does, that is I am outsider. So it's nice to see some posts from 'guys like me'. Heck I ride an old K bike! Not an Airhead or a nice, new GS!

I have been beaten up in here because I believe in freedom of choice when it comes to helmet laws and the fact I am a member of ABATE. That alone will probably set someone off and I'll end up getting called a knuckle-dragger. So I learned to just shut the hell up. If I read a post that gets my blood up, I just click on something else, like maybe the Photography forum or the Flying Brick threads and just ignore it. I got tired of being a minority in many of the discussions.

Yet I still renew my membership. Why? Technical Assistance and the magazine, mostly.

As far as Rally's go? I been to two of them. I had this thought that I'd make me some new freinds there, but that didn't happen. The first one, in 2007, the guy I rode up with sort of dumped me, so I ended up alone. I found it hard to break into other groups and make new acquantinces. Sure, I know... it's most likely my personality or something and that's fine. I have found that I am pretty much a loner, like you Dave. Whether I am riding or attending rallies or whatever, I am more comfortable being alone, even in a large group. But yet I was disappointed to not gain new freindships at that Rally, or in here.

But I'll stick around. Might not post profusely; I'll just lurk.

Sure is nice to hear from like-minded members!

Maybe we need our own forum: "Lone Riders"! HAH!

Last edited:
The only problem I see here Dave is that what you are describing can be applied to life in general. Most people I know will have those days when they try the "big-picture" view and don't like what they see. That is normal. You don't have to agree with everyone, or be like everyone. In fact, if you really take a closer look, you will find that virtually no one want s to be exactly like everyone else.

Just relax and enjoy the company that can be found within the MOA. And take from it what you wish. If you need a break from it, then take a break.

I'll be the first to admit that I have a new GSA, am buying all kinds of things for it, many quite expensive. But I am making decisions on what to buy based upon either past experiences of myself or others that I am aware of. I also may be planning to do things with my bike that you would not do with yours. I'm not rich, but I learned a long time ago that sometimes it pays to step up and buy a more expensive product once, rather than a less expensive wanna be that will only leave you stranded at your time of most need.

It's not your meds, just your view. Try changing the view. Get on your bike and take a nice long ride. It'll help clear out your thoughts and make everything right again.

Best of luck to you, hope you stick around.

Why is anyone sending a response?

He said don't send a response. Must everyone try to change his mind?

Statistically, a huge percentage of people who frequent internet bulletin boards read and reread every word, nuance, and reply to their stuff.

I believe he won't be back to read replies about like I believe offshore property in the Gulf of Mexico has marketable value...

No one is truly trying to change his mind...and if he did not want any responses he would not have posted. Adding that line just invited us to play:stick
He is entitled to his opinion as we are. It's part of being in the "club".

You're not alone Dave. The only time I feel like I fit in with the crowd, is when I'm at the Walmart :wave

I think this turned into a great thread - we're having fun all on our own. Mind you, he's always welcome to join back in! :wave

What I like about the posts is the varied responses - none of us all match the stereotypes, but it looks like we are all managing to get along just fine and have a good time. :thumb

Criminal, not to disparage you in any way, but.....does not surprise me!

Wait, so is using a $30 tent a good thing or bad thing? Mine was a penny under $30, is a true 3 season tent, but really only fits one, though is described as a 2 person.

Speaking of meds, what was this thread about again???

:ha

It was funny. I don't fit in either Dave, I am attacking from the inside!
Muahahahahahahahahahah!
Have you tried Yoga?

:hide

Last edited:
Back