• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank Bag Research

CurveDawg

I currently have a 2018 R1200RT which I have a tank mounted bag that just clicks in place. I have also purchased a GS and have purchased a Tusk bag which came with straps vs a solid mount. My question to you good folks is...will the straps scratch the tank? If anyone is willing to share information, I would appreciate any advise.

A couple patches of that paint protection film people put on the front of cars might help.

I have a tank bag I swap between 4 bikes now, going to be 5 with straps and I haven't noticed any wear.

I had purchased a Touratech tank bag for my 2018 1200 GS, and it came with straps. There were also two small round Velcro discs to stick to the tank to minimize movement. Like you, I was worried about scratches. After using it for a several months, I decided I didn't like the strap mounting along with the size. So, I purchased a SW Motech small tank bag with a tank ring mount. I like the tank ring mounting system much better. Granted, this is all just personal preference.

I'm ok with strap tank bags or gas cap mounts. When I used strap tank bags I used the thin soft tool box shelf liner material under the tank bag.
I would cut slits in the material to run the straps through so it would not blow away at gas stops.
The clear film mentioned above is a good idea. This stuff is easy to remove if you need to replace it.
Before each trip wax your tank and wipe it off each morning to remove and grit that may scuff the tank paint.

Large & Small.JPG

Tank bag research is easy for me ... purchase the bag BMW designed for the specific model.

It feels to me like making a tank bag mount out of the fuel filler is pretty similar to "believing" the RT windscreen mounts are strong enough to support a significantly larger windscreen. Or that aftermarket "heavy duty" mounts don't transfer the extra forces somewhere else not designed for it.

Tank bag research is easy for me ... purchase the bag BMW designed for the specific model.

It feels to me like making a tank bag mount out of the fuel filler is pretty similar to "believing" the RT windscreen mounts are strong enough to support a significantly larger windscreen. Or that aftermarket "heavy duty" mounts don't transfer the extra forces somewhere else not designed for it.

How tall are you?

“Believing “ and proof something doesn’t work are very different. Have you used that tank bag mount and had it fail or produce a problem of some kind? Those screws hold it very securely. I’ve used the fuel filler ring mounts on several bikes, BMWs and Honda and they’ve worked great.

I use a Givi tank lock bag in both my 2016 R1200RT and my Energica Ribelle. The tank lock ring is very solid and I’ve had no problems using the 5 liter bag on either bike. If you use a larger bag with more weight then maybe it might be an issue but personally I don’t like having large, fully loaded tank bags on my bikes.

Back to the OP’s original question though, I can’t speak for Tusk bags since I’m not familiar with the brand but most other bags I’ve seen with straps have some kind of flap that sits between the straps and the tank. That being said, I’ve only used strapped tank bags occasionally and usually used magnetic tank bags on previous bikes that let me use magnetic bags. In both cases, I did notice some scuffing after awhile but whether that was due to movement of the tank bag itself or the frequent removal of the tank bag I can’t say.

Ever since I’ve been using a tank lock bag on my RT though, I won’t use anything else unless I have to.

I currently have a 2018 R1200RT which I have a tank mounted bag that just clicks in place. I have also purchased a GS and have purchased a Tusk bag which came with straps vs a solid mount. My question to you good folks is...will the straps scratch the tank? If anyone is willing to share information, I would appreciate any advise.

My previous bike was a 2012 GS, traded for a 2016 RT (in 2016). I use the same old tankbag from Wolfman. When the tank bag isn't mounted, I often use the Wolfman "suspender-style" straps to keep the clips from moving around, which are debatably not necessary. The tank bag and straps have been used a lot since 2016 on the RT, to this day. There were/are no visible ill effects to paint on either bikes..

_B024588_Hood_Canal_2_sm.jpg

.... I purchased a SW Motech small tank bag with a tank ring mount. I like the tank ring mounting system much better.

I've had one SW Motech tank ring-mount tank bag on 3 different bikes since 2008 which have done approximately 180,000km with nary an issue. In my book, this is the best bag and mounting system on the market.

lkchris hates everything that doesn't have a BMW logo on it or part number attached to it.

My tankbag often weighs 20 or more pounds.

If BMW engineers approve a tank filler ring tankbag mount, I'll probably buy one.

If I was obsessed with cheap or imagined "universal," I wouldn't own BMWs.

My tankbag often weighs 20 or more pounds.

If BMW engineers approve a tank filler ring tankbag mount, I'll probably buy one.

If I was obsessed with cheap or imagined "universal," I wouldn't own BMWs.

1. Please, tell us what kind of g-force a tank bag is subject to which would strain the mounting screws. Further, the 20 pounds you say you carry are already stressing the top of the tank and tank screws.

2. BMW isn't going to approve a competitor's tank bag system.

3. You probably haven't noticed but SW Motech gear is not what I'd call cheap - it just works better.

Last edited:
I used a Bagman tank bag on one bike for three years, and then used it on another bike for 28 years of daily commuting. The straps rubbed on the sides of the tank, which was washed and waxed maybe twice a year. Paint still looked like new when I sold those bikes. YRMV.

I used a Bagman tank bag on one bike for three years, and then used it on another bike for 28 years of daily commuting. The straps rubbed on the sides of the tank, which was washed and waxed maybe twice a year. Paint still looked like new when I sold those bikes. YRMV.

If one takes care, no damage will result from using a strapped tank bag.

If one takes care, no damage will result from using a strapped tank bag.

It's a bike. It gets bugs. It falls over. It gets scratches. Sheesh! Get real!

Or park it with a cover and keep it for 20 years as a keepsake, with rusted innards.

Back