• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone have experience with the fuel / gas tanks on Ebay from India / '85 R80

injected59

Hello everyone. I am new here, so this is also my formal intro. I picked up a 1985 R80 that has been sitting for 8 years in FL. I will be doing a complete frame off. The gas tank is rotted and I will need a new one. I have a friend that has given me a pre '85 tank, which is a bit different on the underside, but will work if I relocate the electricals along the right side of the frame (I'd rather not do this). I hit the swap at the Barber vintage festival in AL a few weeks ago and came up dry. Curious if anyone here has experience with the Indian tanks on Ebay, or if any of you have a source that may be willing to part with a factory original. Also, does anyone know what other models years would have the same tank as my '85 so I can expand my search? Thanks Chris

IMG_E2929.jpg
IMG_E3010.jpg

†anks

My friend at the local airhead shop purchased two tanks from the Indian source. The first tank needed to have the mounting holes re drilled to fit. As it was his brother's bike, no big deal but a customer's bike he would not have modified. The second tank was a R90/6. The tank would not fit due to clearance issues with the under gas tank master cylinder. He ended up buying a used tank, did not install the Indian tank.

So, personally I would steer clear of them. Too bad because good tanks are getting hard to find. Good luck, St.

My friend at the local airhead shop purchased two tanks from the Indian source. The first tank needed to have the mounting holes re drilled to fit. As it was his brother's bike, no big deal but a customer's bike he would not have modified. The second tank was a R90/6. The tank would not fit due to clearance issues with the under gas tank master cylinder. He ended up buying a used tank, did not install the Indian tank.

So, personally I would steer clear of them. Too bad because good tanks are getting hard to find. Good luck, St.
Damn!
Thanks for the response.

Do you have a part number reference?

I am about to pick up 4-5 tanks from a friend who recently passed, and sell them next week at the Blue Moon swap meet.

They're not perfect by any means but if there's one that will work, they are at least factory tanks.

Here is an example... almost certainly from an R80 ST (single petcock bung)...

i-hmndGxd-X2.jpg

Do you have a part number reference?

I am about to pick up 4-5 tanks from a friend who recently passed, and sell them next week at the Blue Moon swap meet.

They're not perfect by any means but if there's one that will work, they are at least factory tanks.

Here is an example... almost certainly from an R80 ST (single petcock bung)...

i-hmndGxd-X2.jpg

Goy any with dual petcock?
Thanks Chris

Unfortunately I am remote from all this stuff until mid next week.

After I lay eyes on them I will PM you with more info.

Ian

The link in my signature line has a used parts section. Check those out to see if you can find a replacement.

I bought one through Ebay for a conversion project. I had to modify it for a /2 frame so I can't tell you how well it would fit a stock bike. The finish wasn't great with inconsistent results in various areas when it came to polishing it.
I'm am now happy with it for what it is but you never know.IMG_0732.jpg

I bought one through Ebay for a conversion project. I had to modify it for a /2 frame so I can't tell you how well it would fit a stock bike. The finish wasn't great with inconsistent results in various areas when it came to polishing it.
I'm am now happy with it for what it is but you never know.View attachment 93348

Thanks for the reply and cool bike. I actually located one. Has a few dents but low rust. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply and cool bike. I actually located one. Has a few dents but low rust. Thanks again.

OK, I am a bit late for you ... here is what I have from my departed friend... as you can see, they are a bit rough

IMG_2256-X3.jpg

Back