• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SW-Motech Trail tank bag

chuchenio

Hi, first-time poster here.

I am in need of a bigger tank bag for my 2019 R1250RT.

I currently have the SW-Motech "Daypack" tank bag on my 2019 R1250RT. It is a great bag but now I need something bigger.

As I want to keep using the Quick-Lock tank ring, I am looking at the "Trail" model. SW-Motech website has a legend/warning that reads: "Steering Lock Somewhat Limited".

Does this mean that the handlebar will hit this tank bag and I will have issues locking the steering?

Does any one has pictures of this specific tank bag on a 1250RT?

Thanks,

Chucho

2019 R1250RT
2916 F800GS

As I want to keep using the Quick-Lock tank ring, I am looking at the "Trail" model. SW-Motech website has a legend/warning that reads: "Steering Lock Somewhat Limited".

Does this mean that the handlebar will hit this tank bag and I will have issues locking the steering?

Quite possibly. Is there a bag size in between what you have and the Trail model?

Hi Chucho. When they post a warning like that, your handlebars will hit the front corners of the bag.
If you're not using a top trunk, have you thought about a tail bag? Keep your small tank bag for needed items like wallet, phone and glasses, and get a larger tail bag to attach to the rear rack or passenger seat.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Quite possibly. Is there a bag size in between what you have and the Trail model?

Hi BC1100S,

SW-Motech is listing the Trail as the only EVO available model. I will need to switch to the PRO series for an in-between size bag.

Thanks for your reply,

Chucho

Hi Chucho. When they post a warning like that, your handlebars will hit the front corners of the bag.
If you're not using a top trunk, have you thought about a tail bag? Keep your small tank bag for needed items like wallet, phone and glasses, and get a larger tail bag to attach to the rear rack or passenger seat.

Hi ClassicVW,

I never thought about a tail bag as I always carry the side cases but this is something I will think about - thanks for the idea.

Chucho

That's one of the bags that's available in a waterproof version.
It's $21 more than the regular City.
https://sw-motech.us/bike/BMW/R1250...gage/tank+bags/PRO+tank+bag/4052572217221.htm

Hi Lee,

I was hesitant to make the change to the PRO series as I will need to replace the tank rings on my two bikes plus will need to discard the old Daypack as it will not fit the new tank ring.

If I stay with the EVO series I will have two tank bags - a small one and a large one.

On the other hand, the PRO City waterproof looks like an amazing bag...

Thanks for your feedback!

Chucho

Last edited:
I had the City on my 2015 R1200 RT. In my mind, it was the perfect fit for the RT and the perfect size.

Back