• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sticky Throttle - 2000 R1100RS

mhallman

I've noticed the last few rides that my throttle is very sticky. If I let it go around 2500 rpms, it has a hard time coming back down to idle. I've had the bike 6 years or so and haven't done any maintenance to the throttle/cable. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Are you using the heated grips? I’ve experienced a sticky throttle when the heat is on. Check the grip on the throttle side that it’s not rubbing against the bar.

There are three places for this system to get sticky or bind up. The twist grip itself at the end of the handlebar originally had lubrication which can get old and dry, and need cleaning and replacement..

The cables themselves are Teflon lined and as the lining wears the cables get stiff. Adding any type of petroleum lubricant just softens the lining and makes things worse quite quickly.

Finally, the bell crank box that BMW calls the "Cable Distributor" located under the battery box (if I recall correctly on this model) can get sticky and need lubrication too.

So, I would do the easy thing first and lubricate the twist grip. If or when that fails to cure the problem I would get all new cables. In the process of installing the cables you will have the opportunity to check, clean, and lubricate the cable distributor since you will have it removed from its normal resting place.

Last edited:
I've noticed the last few rides that my throttle is very sticky. If I let it go around 2500 rpms, it has a hard time coming back down to idle. I've had the bike 6 years or so and haven't done any maintenance to the throttle/cable. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
I had the same issue on my 2000 RS a few years ago. Adding to PGlave, remove the right side bar end first. I sprayed liberally WD40, inside the bar, and all around. Don’t disturb the heat element. After a heavy flow of black gunk expelled, I sprayed the same area with a silicone lube.

Last edited:
Back