• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 1100 RS Bogging down at high speed

mhallman

Took the bike out for about an hour in our warmer weather today in Colorado. The bike ran great until I turned for home and got on the highway. At around 60 mph I was giving it gas and the engine started bogging down intermittently. Was able to get home, but I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing the issue. Seemed to run and accelerate fine the last 5 miles or so (lower revs through the city). Just wondering what the likeliest issues are - like a top 5 to start checking. I've looked at other threads and the list seems long for potential problems. For background - I've replaced fuel filter (but did not change internal fuel line - wasn't thinking at the time), haven't messed with throttle bodies, air filter looks good. I haven't ridden the bike much in the last year or so but am getting time to get back on it. Between my Clymer manual and YouTube I can do most of the work, but I just don't have the real knowledge for going about a diagnosis. Thanks for any input.

Seems like you may have diagnosed it yourself with the fuel line. A crack in one of the hoses can cause this as you end up starving for fuel at the higher speeds.

Seems like you may have diagnosed it yourself with the fuel line. A crack in one of the hoses can cause this as you end up starving for fuel at the higher speeds.
Possible due to moving that hose around during the filter replacement... You can buy gas immersible fuel injection hose and make your own loop..

Too much air, not enough gas. Check for air leaks - bike at steady idle, spray carb/TB cleaner around all TB connections, especially at the point where the butterfly shaft is held to the TB. If idle changes, that points to an air leak. Cracked U hose in the tank could be leaking gas back into the tank instead of to the injectors. As fuel demand increases, fuel delivery doesn't keep up.

Are you also getting popping when you shut the throttle for engine braking? Not just a little pop, but significant popping. That would indicate air leak to me too.

Too much air, not enough gas. Check for air leaks - bike at steady idle, spray carb/TB cleaner around all TB connections, especially at the point where the butterfly shaft is held to the TB. If idle changes, that points to an air leak. Cracked U hose in the tank could be leaking gas back into the tank instead of to the injectors. As fuel demand increases, fuel delivery doesn't keep up.

Are you also getting popping when you shut the throttle for engine braking? Not just a little pop, but significant popping. That would indicate air leak to me too.
This. While testing with carb cleaner for an air leak, be sure to do it when the bike is fully warmed up.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will get some TB cleaner and do that in the next few days. No big popping sounds.

OP, any updates on your issue. Vacuum leak, too much air, does make sense. Can any of this be altitude related, not sure if there was any drastic altitude change during your ride that could cause this? Forgive me, I’m 5 miles from the ocean.

Just a follow-up. Kind of a good news bad news. Good news is that I got the tank apart and found that the U-shaped hose was indeed messed up (see image). Also found that the fuel screen was bad and vibration dampener torn. Living in Denver, I drove down to the good folks at EME and got the parts needed. Replaced all the hoses in the tank, had to take the pump off to fit the new vibration damper and new hose, and buttoned everything up. When I went to turn the key to pressurize the system - all I heard was clicking at the fuse box (one second on, one second off). I was sure to reconnect the wires on the fuel pump when I reinstalled it as well as the fuel pump connector. This is how I learn lots of things - fix one thing and break two more... Any help is appreciated.Fuel Hose.jpg

Last edited:
Just a bit more information. Thought I had forgotten to put gas in it (that was all good). The clicking at the fuse box is the ABS. When I turn the key on, the gear indicator does not come on or the fuel level. The kickstand is down. Battery tested pretty good (12.3).

Last edited:
The kickstand is down. Battery tested pretty good (12.3).
Glad you found the problem with the "U" hose. If you use non-ethanol gas, the in-tank hose should stay good for at least 6-7 years, possibly longer.

Unless your 1100 has been modified, the bike won't start with the side stand down. The 1100RT/RS/R/GS side stand is wired with the kill switch. Lift the side stand and the fuel pump should pressurize when you turn the key on.

Glad you found the problem with the "U" hose. If you use non-ethanol gas, the in-tank hose should stay good for at least 6-7 years, possibly longer.

Unless your 1100 has been modified, the bike won't start with the side stand down. The 1100RT/RS/R/GS side stand is wired with the kill switch. Lift the side stand and the fuel pump should pressurize when you turn the key on.
Oh my god - I'm an idiot...

Side stand worked just like it should. Even double checked it to make sure it was in the "right" position.

Thanks for stating the obvious! Everything working just like it should now...

I have the same problem with a 02 R1150 RT I was told by the dealer that it was probably clutch slipping at high speed due to a leaky rear main seal???

I have the same problem with a 02 R1150 RT I was told by the dealer that it was probably clutch slipping at high speed due to a leaky rear main seal???
I have found that an easy way to tell clutch slippage is to watch the relationship of the tachometer to the speedometer when applying throttle. This is especially true if the throttle is increased in too higher gear….. example would be to be in 4th gear at 30mph an roll the throttle on- watching for a unusual tachometer change.
OM

Back