• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trying to diagnose and fix a problem with '98 R1100R

HankPfister

1998 R1100R with 60,000 miles (I've owned for about 7000 miles. This weird issue began on a road trip in April. It began as a sudden onset rough acceleration from a stop where ignition was cut off, then restarted. It does not occur when engine is cold and I start off, but if I stop for gas later after engine hot, when I restart the bike seems to run on one cylinder with the other kicking in as I apply more throttle. Then at about 3000 or so rpm both cylinders are running together as normal. Problem won't occur if I stop and don't shut off engine, like at a light, only after engine shut off for a few minutes. (I posted about this on Facebook MOA and got some good responses, but none of the suggestions have fixed the problem.

What I've done so far in order performed:
Fuel treatments in multiple tanks of gas (first assumption was water in gas)
New in tank fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel lines.
New spark plugs, and wires.
New coil
New Hall Effects Sensor

So where do I go from here?

Thanks for any ideas.

Your description of the symptoms, seems to point to fuel starvation on the one cylinder. However, looking over your list of repair/replacement of parts, it appears you’ve covered most fueling issues.

The temperature clue plus an improvement at higher rpm makes me think the valves are too tight.
Another possibility could be the block's temperature sensor being at fault.
Have you pulled the Big Brass Screws to see if there is crapatation buildup on their tips or in that little hole?
(If you get new BBSs, possibly due to cracked O-rings, take an old one with you to the dealer - there are two sizes; later models got a larger O.D. screw.)

Back