• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Riders - Tank Bag or Handlebar Bag

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I just picked up a 2018 R1200 GS. While it has the Vario side cases, storage otherwise is minimal. My other ride is an 88 R100 RT, which has a tank bag. The tank is lower on the RT, so the tank bag doesn't get in the way. The GS has a higher tank, so I'm wondering if a tank bag will seem too high. Another option I've seen is a handlebar bag, but I wonder how much that might get in the way of the instrument panel, etc. I'm not looking for a lot of space, just for a phone, garage opener, ear plugs, etc. I'm curious what GS riders do for this type of storage. Thanks in advance.

I just picked up a 2018 R1200 GS. While it has the Vario side cases, storage otherwise is minimal. My other ride is an 88 R100 RT, which has a tank bag. The tank is lower on the RT, so the tank bag doesn't get in the way. The GS has a higher tank, so I'm wondering if a tank bag will seem too high. Another option I've seen is a handlebar bag, but I wonder how much that might get in the way of the instrument panel, etc. I'm not looking for a lot of space, just for a phone, garage opener, ear plugs, etc. I'm curious what GS riders do for this type of storage. Thanks in advance.

Get a small tank bag. You will like it.

I went with the handlebar bag on my 2018GS as I didn’t want the bulk of a big tankbag when off-roading. The bag is large enough to hold the usual collection of phone, charger and cords, bug screen, meds, etc. and can easily be popped off and stashed in a pannier or carried with at stops.

The downside is that you give up having a mapcase. I’m currently researching mapcase-only solutions and options for mounting one. If I don’t find a workable solution I might consider going with a small (2-4L) quick-detach tankbag from an aftermarket supplier.

Best,
DeVern

SW motech would be my choice of tank bag. Used one on the GS, now the RS. Different sizes for different tanks etc.

I'm not sure how you would attach a bar bag to the GS, especially without blocking the view of your TFT.

While at the 2022 National Rally, I picked up a Wolfman "Blackhawk" tankbag. I have been using Wolfman bags for a couple of decades and they have always done well for me. This model is waterproof (tested as I rode back through North Dakota and Minnesota thunderstorms), is low enough to see all the instruments easily and fits my 2018 1200GS Rallye well. There is a smaller model called an "Enduro" that looks like a scaled down version of the Blackhawk. I thought it seemed a bit small for my use. I carry my bulky, heavy or valuable stuff in the panniers or on my rack, but the stuff that I want to get to quickly lives in the tankbag.

I give this tankbag a thumbs up.

I'm not sure how you would attach a bar bag to the GS, especially without blocking the view of your TFT.

While at the 2022 National Rally, I picked up a Wolfman "Blackhawk" tankbag. I have been using Wolfman bags for a couple of decades and they have always done well for me. This model is waterproof (tested as I rode back through North Dakota and Minnesota thunderstorms), is low enough to see all the instruments easily and fits my 2018 1200GS Rallye well. There is a smaller model called an "Enduro" that looks like a scaled down version of the Blackhawk. I thought it seemed a bit small for my use. I carry my bulky, heavy or valuable stuff in the panniers or on my rack, but the stuff that I want to get to quickly lives in the tankbag.

On last summers 4K mile 3 week tour of several NW states, I kept all my ID's, keys, money etc in the SW Motech tank bag. Every time I was off the bike the bag came with me. It's carry handle made it so convenient to carry and ALL the important stuff was with me at all times.

Thanks.

Here's one of the handlebar bags I'm looking at. I too am curious if it would block the view of the TFT.

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/wunderlich-handlebar-media-bag-bmw-motorcycle.html

On the Wunderlich Bar Bag page, at the bottom click on "Instructions" and at the bottom of that page is a photo of a GS with the bag mounted. There does not look to be much space between the top of the bag and the GPS. Might be enough though.

I've been using a BMW tank bag on my 2015 GSA, since Day One. Works for me.

Does BMW still have two sizes of the GS bag?
The small one sits nice and low.
The GS bags look nice. Waterproof, perfect fit for the tank shape and a real map window.

Best bags for off roading

Mosko Moto Hood
Giant Loop Diablo
Wolfman waterproof line

Best for Touring
GS Bag (from BMW)
Enduristan 4A
Touratech Tank bag

those last 3 are bigger than the first. Smaller is better off roading as the bag won't get in your way. Unfortunately everyone's tastes are different. SW Motech's new PRO line of bags I hear are very nice but I haven't used them yet.

Considering what the OP has stated he wants to carry, the smallest one from SW Motech would be the right choice.

I agree, the 3 liter Micro Pro should work for him. I bought a Micro Pro for day rides. It's big enough to hold a tire repair kit, air pump and cleaner for my faceshield.

First of all, thanks to all those who have responded.

While I’m still unsure, I’m leaning toward a tank bag. While a tail bag might be in cards for the future, I’m currently looking for something with storage I can access while on the bike (e.g. garage door opener, wallet, etc.).

For me, the main pluses of the handlebar bag are: it is small, out of the way, and can hold your phone in a manner so it can be used (e.g. GPS) while riding. Since the bike does not have a GPS at the moment, being able to use phone as one would be a great option; however, I know there are other options. I did make a rough mock-up to see if it would block the TFT screen, and it doesn't appear that it would. However, the TFT screen would be significantly recessed between the BMW Nav GPS holder and the bag. I just got the bike and haven't had much time to ride it to know if that would be a deal breaker.

Wunderlich, Media Waterproof Handlebar bag
https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/wunderlich-handlebar-media-bag-bmw-motorcycle.html

As for the tank bag, I think I’m going to end up with a much larger bag ±14 L expandable to ±20-22 L. This is bigger than I need, but the larger bags have side pockets that I prefer, and there are times when I will probably want the extra capacity.

The top bags at the moment are

Touratech, EXPANDABLE TANKBAG,
https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Expandable-Tankbag-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2013-on-Water-Cooled

Givi, EA110B 25LTR ADVENTURE TANK BAG
https://giviusa.com/collections/tank-bags/products/ea110b-25ltr-adventure-tank-bag

While not at the top of the list, I have not excluded the TRAILS END ADVENTURE TANK BAG by Nelson-Rigg.
https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcyc.../rg-1045-trails-end-adventure-tank-bag-detail

Back