• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mounting/Dismounting a loaded R1200 GS

It will probably be found that the pegs will take most anything anyone can give it.

The side-stand will be fine as long as it is in “as factory” shape and the bike is on level ground with no “off angle” attempt to git onboard.

OM

I don't think the problem, if there is one, would be the foot peg. I think a problem might be with the sidestand. I do know that no some models BMW advises against using a foot peg to mount while on the sidestand.

This is it precisely for me. I'm not worried about the pegs on my RSL, I am concerned about the side stand. The bike leans over too far and the stand has some...flop to it. So I've never used the left peg to get on the bike, especially fully loaded. But my little G310GS? The side stand leaves the bike fairly upright and seems to have zero movement. I just grab the front brake, step on the left peg and get on with no issues in several thousand miles of use.

The side stand leaves the bike fairly upright and seems to have zero movement. I just grab the front brake, step on the left peg and get on with no issues in several thousand miles of use.

My '16 R12R is the same, and stands upright in the extreme - I often have to park opposite the direction of my mates to prevent it from falling over on the slightest slope.

I'm still struggling with the idea that there is a graceful way for anyone to mount or dismount a fully loaded GS gracefully. I think you'll just have to embrace the idea that your best hope is just to get on and off without falling over.

:thumb

I was in the local dealership today and after looking at a number of new GSs, several with top boxes, I am inclined to agree with you.

My '16 R12R is the same, and stands upright in the extreme - I often have to park opposite the direction of my mates to prevent it from falling over on the slightest slope.

I'm right there with you. If I use the side stand, I often have to park on the "wrong" side of the street to take advantage of the downward slope to the curb.

I just found out my hoped-for 1150GS deal fell thru, so won't get to test out my ability to gracefully get on one -- challenges keep us younger, I think. Maybe another will turn up.

Thanks for everyone’s response. My mind had some pretty odd visuals imaging the scenarios presented. I’m beginning to agree with Anyname’s comment.

I'm still struggling with the idea that there is a graceful way for anyone to mount or dismount a fully loaded GS gracefully. I think you'll just have to embrace the idea that your best hope is just to get on and off without falling over.

I’m just glad at the moment no one is taking pictures or videoing me getting on and off. So far, my graceful attempts include being on the left side of the bike, handlebars open, swinging my right leg as far up and over as possible, then hopping on the left to complete the movement. Getting of has been more of a hopping backwards on my left leg to slowly move my right leg off the bike. Hardly graceful at all.

Many of you have suggested using the foot pegs. It looks like I will have to learn this technique, and watch Jocelyn Snow’s (and others) videos again for tips.

Another mantra to add to the list. Riders don’t let anyone take photos or videos of their friends mounting and dismounting their loaded bikes.

Another one for right side mounting

I also find mounting from the right side the easiest way. Less pressure on the stand and seems a lot more stable.

I am about 6'1" with a 34-35" inseam. With my 2018 R1200GS Rallye, which is higher than the usual GS due to the "sport suspension"- read "GS Adventure suspension"- I developed a method of getting on the bike when loaded with the Adventure bags and a duffle or large Moto-Fizz camping bag (see Aerostich for description). I stand on the left side of the bike by the saddle facing forward. I then do what I call a "karate side kick", bringing up my right foot with the hip and knee then kicking out to the side and over the seat. Then I slide on the seat and I'm ready to go.
Getting off the bike is usually not as graceful. I drop my left foot to the ground and take a couple of hops as I drag my foot over the saddle!

I gave the suggestions a try this afternoon and using the foot pegs seemed to be the best option. It's easier to mount with the bike on the side stand, but I don't feel comfortable taking the bike off the center stand while standing beside the bike. I usually do that once on the bike by pushing it forward. It seems like the bike will fall away from me once off the center stand. That may not be the case, but it feels that way, which is most likely due to this being a new procedure. I may practice taking the bike off the center stand while standing next to the bike.

I may practice taking the bike off the center stand while standing next to the bike.
Not really sure of another way……or I misunderstood what you were saying.
Side stand up, so you don’t lose a toe, use the front brake as “roll control”. Ease it forward and go with the “bounce”.
Practice will definitely increase confidence. It’s almost like setting a 32’ ladder that you haven’t used in a while.
OM

Not really sure of another way……or I misunderstood what you were saying.

OM, I guess I should have explained things a bit better. Sorry. Being a rather tall person, both feet touch the ground with the bike on the center stand. So, I usually just push the bike forward while on it. That way, I don't have to worry about the bike falling to either side, since my legs keep it upright. When I said I may practice it's because I don't see the necessity of taking the bike off its center stand to get on the bike.

I may practice taking the bike off the center stand while standing next to the bike.

If possible, practice a few times with a helper on the right hand side of the bike who can intervene if the bike starts to get away from you, starting to fall to the right.

I put the sidestand down first. I keep my toes away. But I don't like holding the bike up, standing on one leg while I put the side stand down after the bike is on its two wheels.

I have three bikes with center stands and I never take them off that stand unless on them. Even on my tallest bike, I get it forward to the point of it coming down, and use the front brake to do it slowly. I honestly can't imagine standing alongside it while taking it off the center stand, particularly fully loaded. Physics says, "No problem." My brain says otherwise.

At the BMW riders school, they teach you to put the bike in gear before taking it off the center stand. Works great! The bike just squats and doesn't try to go anywhere. No scrambling to grab the front brake. I do it that way now with any bike on its centerstand. 45+ years of riding and I can't believe I never thought of doing it that way. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

I put the sidestand down first. I keep my toes away. But I don't like holding the bike up, standing on one leg while I put the side stand down after the bike is on its two wheels.

At the BMW riders school, they teach you to put the bike in gear before taking it off the center stand. Works great! The bike just squats and doesn't try to go anywhere. No scrambling to grab the front brake.

:thumb These two techniques have been my way of getting the bikes off the centre stands. Having said that, when touring with a fully loaded bike, the side stand is always used, not the centre stand.

So, is the consensus the side stand is strong enough to take the weight of a rider getting on the motor by stepping on the peg on other motors besides the GS?

I'm not sure I want to stress the stand on my RS or RT. In my manual it states "The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended."

Seems the above would suggest using the peg to get on the motor is against the design parameters?

I have never heard of a sidestand failure from direct load. Using it to pivot a motorcycle, yes. Having it sink into something and the foot fails, followed by the stand being bent inside the hole it made, yes. But not from simple directly loading it.

Back