• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mounting tires comments

I didn't know that was your door. Darn!!:)

aint a problem in the world that we can't resolve like gentlemans, Mr Glaves...

anyhoo I usually kept that ragged door shut just to spare pests from the wrath of my R100/S chopswatter

oh¡ Donde estan mis modales??

you' all have a MAGA day, I got dinner to devour

karate kid - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Dangle

Similar to the horizontal balancing shown in this thread, years ago there was marketed a device known as The Dangle. I am not making this up. Salacious remarks about the angle of the dangle may be reserved for later threads. I still have one of these devices in Kansas and will post a photo of it in the next week or so, as soon as I can get my hands on it.

It has a set of cones that the wheel hangs on in a horizontal orientation. From the bottom cone is a small cable that goes through the center of the wheel and then through a small disk with a red dot at its center. This disk is free to move horizontally with the cable. The cable then extends through a larger opening in a plastic lens with a red circle, attached firmly to the top of the device. At the top end of the cable is a loop for hanging the device with a wheel attached.

When the wheel is totally and exactly horizontal the red dot is correctly enclosed in the red circle. But, because the cable supports the wheel at the bearing on the bottom side of the horizontal wheel, if the wheel is tilted the cable aligns the red dot closer to the higher side of the wheel. It then sticks out beyond the red ring. So weight is added on the wheel/tire where the dot is pointing until the dot is precisely centered in the ring.

The device is dead-accurate when set up properly and used with patience. Tire swinging, bumping things, adding weight, etc, all cause the device to move a bit so patience is needed until the wheel hangs absolutely still. When the dot is perfectly centered the wheel is perfectly horizontal - and thus balanced when the weights are affixed.

I find the device to be genius, but finicky to use. It was always my back-up balancer. If I had built a permanent rigid hook for the cable it would have been much easier to use. The chain from the ceiling was not ideal.

EDIT: It may be that the red dot is fixed and the disk with the ring moves. But the result is the same. The wheel is balanced when the dot and ring are concentric.

Last edited:
We used to use a bubble balancer back in the day. Here is a Harbor Freight version-

image_18703.jpg

on a standard vehicle when the Alemite spin balancer wouldn't adapt-

Balance11.jpg

The next evolution was to eliminate the strobe light and replace the hubcap with this-

s-l640.jpg

And spin 'em up while watching your finger bounce- one hand on the fender, one adjusting the 4 balance knobs.

:gerg :gerg :gerg

OM

real world results

An epiphany : If the wheel is first balanced, then it matters not where one mount the yellow dot, nor does it matter if there is no yellow dot. The wheel is precisely balanced, just mount the tire anywhere (correct directional rotation, of course). Now balance the tire; i.e., tire balance is more precise than attempting to balance a wheel/tire combo.
1. First, I balanced the front wheel - the heavy side is down at 6 o'clock and marked, then "wheel balance weight" is added at 12 o'clock until wheel is precisely balanced. Now I mounted a new front Roadsmart 4 - yellow dot at wheel heavy side mark. Balanced the front tire, the tire's heavy side is down at 6 o'clock. I actually had to REMOVE "wheel balance weight" to bring the tire into balance.
2. Balanced the rear wheel as above. Mounted the new rear Roadsmart 4 tire - I purposely did not align the yellow dot with the wheel heavy mark. Now, balance the tire - heavy side is down at 6 o'clock. I took significant "tire balance weight" to bring the tire into balance. Results: "wheel balance weight" added to balance the wheel, plus another separate set of "tire balance weight" to balance the tire. Meaning - if I had aligned the yellow dot with the wheel heavy mark, it would have required adding more "tire balance weight" to the "wheel balance weight", but the total weights would have been place in only one location on the wheel.
3. Front wheel has weights in one spot. Rear wheel has weight is two separate spots.

Back