• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ideas On How to Strap Two Drybags to a GS

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I'm trying to figure out how to pack my camping gear on my GS. My bike, a 2018 R1200 GS, has the Vario Bags and tail end without the top case, but it’s probably the same regardless of the bike and year (to an extent). I’m trying to figure out how to strap two drybags (one ±49L and a second TBD, but probably ±49L as well). If anyone has photos of how they’ve done it, I’d be very interested to see a photo and hear where/how the bags were situated and strapped down.

Thanks in advance.

What I have done when I carried multiple drybags on my GS - strap the two (or three) bags together. Then lift the bags onto the back of the bike. Strap those bags down. My GS had no top case, but had the lockable hard cases and a rear rack. I'd place the strapped bags to be cross-wise across the seat / rack and be strapped down. Typically I'd carry the camping gear and clothes in the drybags with other stuff in the hard cases. The clothes sometimes could work as a back rest (no passenger!). In the past I used several dry bags from Helen2Wheels. She was a fixture at many rallies and had an interesting demonstration and spiel about her products. I found an old YouTube video and some other info about her packing system -

https://ibmwr.org/original/prodreview/helen2w.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NPL4-ic_RnU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have also used a "U-bag" to stuff smaller bags (equivalent of several drybags) to carry stuff on the GS. The "U-bag" was placed on the rear rack and atop the hard cases. I'd carry a small cooler on the rear seat. I see that one can still obtain some form of a U-bag, although this is not the one that I used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3940991973...:a46f7128ea271bea0bb4155c63105bce;pt:1;choc:2

s-l1600.jpg

P5012691.jpg

National River Systems

Highly recommended... these are industrial strength H2W straps. The 6' long ones usually work best.

https://www.nrs.com/nrs-1-loop-straps/pkvc

nrs_straps.jpg

From a BMW ON article I wrote many moons ago...

IMG_1713-X3.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to pack my camping gear on my GS. My bike, a 2018 R1200 GS, has the Vario Bags and tail end without the top case, but it’s probably the same regardless of the bike and year (to an extent). I’m trying to figure out how to strap two drybags (one ±49L and a second TBD, but probably ±49L as well). If anyone has photos of how they’ve done it, I’d be very interested to see a photo and hear where/how the bags were situated and strapped down.

Thanks in advance.

Two 49L bags means you’ll likely be using both the rack and the rear seat or a portion thereof. So, it’s a good idea to strap the two bags together for mutual support so something doesn’t droop down by the muffler outlet. My go-to straps for luggage are ROK Straps (https://rokstraps.com/pages/rok-moto). They are available in different sizes, colors and lengths from the website or directly from Rolf Immogabe, the importer. His van shows up at a lot of the western rallies.

Best,
DeVern

The Vario bags are pretty easy to disassemble, you can find a YouTube video showing how. I then purchased some metal flat hooks and attached them to my Vario bags on the outside. I put a strap over the top and through the handles of the dry bags to the slots on the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_8759.jpg
    IMG_8759.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8762.jpg
    IMG_8762.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8764.jpg
    IMG_8764.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8763.jpg
    IMG_8763.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 103

Thanks in advance.

That's a lot of stuff. We used to travel two up with one 49L bag.

That's a lot of stuff. We used to travel two up with one 49L bag.

The camping gear fits into one bag by itself. That leaves one bag for my stuff--so to speak. I typically use the side Vario cases for items I need while riding. I could expand them and pack items in them, but I'm not used to doing that. I probably also need to learn to be more of a minimalist while motorcycle traveling/camping.

The camping gear fits into one bag by itself. That leaves one bag for my stuff--so to speak. I typically use the side Vario cases for items I need while riding. I could expand them and pack items in them, but I'm not used to doing that. I probably also need to learn to be more of a minimalist while motorcycle traveling/camping.

2012 GS dressed for the morning I left for an 8K round trip to the arctic circle. I removed the vario top case, used these two dry bags. Black on is camping gear, blue bag is clothes and daily necessities.

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 58
Back