• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need Help Selecting Bar Riser Height

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I tried barbacks, but they didn’t work, so I’m looking at bar risers now. Since there are various sizes, I’m wondering if anyone has a thought or a way to figure out which size would be best without buying the various sizes and trying them out. The bike is a 2018 R1200 GS.

Thanks in advance

For which bike?

I just got a super sweet set of Rizoma bar risers for my G/SPD+ from REVZilla.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rizoma-1-18-handlebar-risers

Toaster Tan also has some very nice ones, specifically for airheads.

https://toastertan.com/products/accessories/

Sorry, on phone, can’t copy/post images.

Ian

Ps -> in general, what are you looking for… to sit more upright? To reach the bars easier while standing? To raise your arms to relieve shoulder pain? In my case I needed to raise the lower section of the bars enough on the breather hose for my 9.5 gallon tank to be inserted into the steering stem nut.

I run 40mm risers on my 2018 GS and find them comfortable either sitting or standing. That’s at 6’-2” with 33.5” inseam and 36-37” sleeve length. I also have the pegs lowered 1 inch.

YFMV, depending upon the relevant measurements. I was more concerned with getting the bike comfortable while standing.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Ian,
It's for the 2018 GS. But thanks for the information regarding the airhead. I may want to raise those, but I've been OK up to now with the stock set up.

DeVern,
Thanks for your response. I’m a little over 6’ with a 34” inseam. As far as a sleeve length goes, the only measurement I’m familiar with is for dress shirts, which is measured from the middle of the neck down to your wrist. My sleeve length is 35.5-36” in that case. I also have the pegs lowered.
FYI, the stock set up is OK while sitting; however, I’m hunched over too much while standing.

DeVern,
Thanks for your response. I’m a little over 6’ with a 34” inseam. As far as a sleeve length goes, the only measurement I’m familiar with is for dress shirts, which is measured from the middle of the neck down to your wrist. My sleeve length is 35.5-36” in that case. I also have the pegs lowered.
FYI, the stock set up is OK while sitting; however, I’m hunched over too much while standing.

Oops, I entered neck and not sleeve length- I’ve corrected that to 36-37”. Based on what you’ve mentioned for sizing I suspect the 40mm risers would fit you well. Give some thought to the lowered pegs as well, as that eases the standing hunch without making the bars too high when seated.

Best,
DeVern

You can go to https://cycle-ergo.com/ . Enter your bike and your measurements. On the right side is the customization area. You can enter risers and bar backs among other thing and see how it will adjust your position.

Quick suggestion. Put the bike on the centerstand. Stand on the foot pegs. With you back in a comfortable position for riding while standing with you legs slightly bent, reach towards the handgrips. Have an assistant measure how much higher the bars need to be to reach you palms. That will be a good starting point.

Quick suggestion. Put the bike on the centerstand. Stand on the foot pegs. With you back in a comfortable position for riding while standing with you legs slightly bent, reach towards the handgrips. Have an assistant measure how much higher the bars need to be to reach you palms. That will be a good starting point.

That's a good suggestion, but it's only me.

I decided to go a slightly different route. I made two blocks out of cardboard--25mm at one length and another at 40mm, since those seemed to be the common sizes, other than rotating blocks. Once in the proper standing position, I tried the blocks at both the 25mm and the 40mm lengths to get an idea. I thought the 40mm felt better.

So, my 40mm risers arrived today and I went out and installed them. Since the top triple tree is on an angle, the bars were raised ±37-38mm and moved back ±12-15mm. While standing it feels really good, but perhaps a bit high. Since the bars are rotated upward 10 degrees, I can always rotate them closer to zero if I need them a little lower. Although the handlebars were moved back ±12-15mm, it really doesn't seem like that much and is a reasonable compromise. Time will tell while riding though.

Back