• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fob- Where to store the fob when not in use?

I keep reading conflicting information about whether leaving the fob within the range of the bike will cause the battery of the fob to prematurely weaken? Can anyone provide definitive information on this phenomen?

You can store the fob wherever you wish. When you push the ignition-on button on your bike it sends a signal and looks for a response from your fob. That is when the fob becomes active and sends a coded response to the bike. The fob is not activated simply by being near the bike with the ignition off.

You can store the fob wherever you wish. When you push the ignition-on button on your bike it sends a signal and looks for a response from your fob. That is when the fob becomes active and sends a coded response to the bike. The fob is not activated simply by being near the bike with the ignition off.
Thanks for this! Like the OP I had read somewhere that keeping the fob within range could drain the fob battery. I therefore kept the fob in the house and when I was working and this would, about 10% of the time, result in me going back into the house after I was geared up to get the fob when the bike would not start. :rofl :rofl :cautious::)

During the summer I keep the fob in my riding gear hanging in the garage but out of range of the bike. I figure the unheated garage isn't doing the battery any favors so I still keep it inside when the weather turns cold and dips below freezing overnight.

Where did you find this info?

My anecdotal experience is that if the Fob is close to the bike (closer than 4 or 5 feet) the Fob battery doesn't last very long however if stored further away the Fob battery seems to last six months to a year.

Last edited:
Yeah - For the fob to respond, it has to be at least in a "standby" mode, which still draws a little power. :scratch

Does the owners manual have any information specific to this? Best I can tell there is a fair amount of variables on the fob association with vehicles.
OM

My owners manual has this:

The telltale light for the radio-
operated key flashes while the
search for the radio-operated key
is in progress.
The telltale light goes out as
soon as the radio-operated key
or the emergency key is found.
The telltale light goes out briefly
if the search times out without
the radio-operated key or the
emergency key being found.

The vehicle cannot be started or
the central locking system locked
or unlocked if the radio-operated
key is not within range (e.g. key
inside one of the cases or the
topcase).
If the key is taken out of range
the ignition is switched off after
approximately 1.5 minutes, but
the central locking system is not
locked.

While not explicit regarding the fob battery, it leads me to think the key fob is completely passive. The ECU and ring antennae search for the fob signal for 1.5 minutes after the ignition button is pressed. It cites the range of the antennae as approx. 1 meter is blocked merely by being in the side or top cases (easily within 1 meter of the antennae).

🤷‍♂️

Where did you find this info?

My anecdotal experience is that if the Fob is close to the bike (closer than 4 or 5 feet) the Fob battery doesn't last very long however if stored further away the Fob battery seems to last six months to a year.

I spoke to the service manager at Big Sky BMW after hearing conflicting views on the subject. My reading of the owner's manual also led me to think that the FOB is a passive device. While the lack of clarity about this by BMW is frustrating, the lack of any warning in the OM about storing the FOB in range of the bike is instructive.

Should we get a winter where riding is not possible, then perhaps a test is in order. Place a new battery in the FOB. Test the battery before installation to determine its precise charge. Store the FOB well away from the bike and after a month test the battery to determine its charge. Test another new battery and install it in the FOB, then store the FOB on the bike for a month. Remove, test and compare. The more time that is available to store the FOB will likely provide more meaningful results.

Sorry, I must disagree:
"the radio-operated key..." has a battery inside. No (or dead) battery, no start.
IF it was passive, it would be something similar to the dark strips placed on products to deter theft: walk by the sensor at the door (which is Always transmitting something), the sensor detects that the strip has not been deactivated at the cashier, and the alarms sound.
This is why they're Service "Managers", not Technicians.

If I had such a fob, I could use an RF sniffer to see what’s up. Anyone with a background In RF electronics on board?
OM

I keep the fob in the house and not near the 16RS motor when it's sitting in the garage. No more so than I'd leave the key in the ignition on the 11RT in the garage.

If it's a question of does it or doesn't it drain the fob batter, I'll err on the side of caution, and do

"the radio-operated key..." has a battery inside. No (or dead) battery, no start.
The fob will start the bike without a battery. The battery is needed to give the fob a range of 2 or 3 feet from the receiver. The bike can be started if the fob is placed on the receiver.

I've driven a number of vehicles with fobs but no bikes. Personally I hate it! Just give me a damned key I can put in the ignition when I want to go!

The fob will start the bike without a battery. The battery is needed to give the fob a range of 2 or 3 feet from the receiver. The bike can be started if the fob is placed on the receiver.

Two different systems. The emergency key has no battery and will start the bike if held under the rear fever at the right spot for the ring antenna to activate the passive rf chip.
The powered key fob can do the same if the battery is dead. With a battery it communicates through a different controller to tell the bike to start.

Last edited:
Extensive background in RF electronics (DC to light, actually; also several ham & FCC commercial licenses). Haven't got a field-strength meter, nor a spectrum analyzer...
So apparently there are at least two ways that a fob can work; thanks, Shawn!
Cool.
But I'd still prefer an old-style key.... :gerg

I keep reading conflicting information about whether leaving the fob within the range of the bike will cause the battery of the fob to prematurely weaken?

Sorry but without testing, I can't.

The question is, why would you leave the fob within range of your bike, and where do you live? :laugh

From Consumer Affairs

Leaving your key fob in the car overnight, or even on a hook near the car is not a smart idea.

"If the fob is too close to your car, it can continue to communicate with your car which could drain the battery," said Mike.

Back