• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 750 GS Key Fob battery alert

woodybob

Recently, I've started to get an alert on the TFT that says my key fob battery is low, about to fail and should be changed. I've changed the battery twice but the alert still comes on after two weeks or so. If the battery goes dead while I'm riding will the bike continue until I stop and not restart? I did accidently wash the fob with my pants one time but that was a long time ago. Plus, now I can't find my back up fob for comparison use. Anyone know if the battery alert is a serious caution or if I can proceed past it. Incidentally, there is no way to delete or minimize the alert from the screen. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks

Two weeks is not "typical", something is going on there.

Not a "direct" answer, but -
Are the battery contacts in the FOB corroded at all?
Is the little leaf spring holding the battery firmly?
Do you know where the receiving antenna is on your bike? They're different depending on model, and some have shown that the FOB needs to be pretty close to the antenna to work.

Along the lines of Paul's response, I too suspect corrosion from the keyfob going through the laundry, which is now causing a partial short and thus draining the battery prematurely. As anyone who has learned from giving their cell phine a dunk, the real problems start showing up in the weeks or longer afterwards. I don't know the 750 GS fobs. However, if you feel up to it, you might try disassembling the fob, and cleaning everything including button contacts with contact cleaner. Dry thoroughly before reassembly, ideally with compressed dry air. If ypu are not up to it, you might find you are going to be ponying up for a new fob in your not so distant future...

If the 750GS is like my K1600 and any car we've had, the fob should still allow you to start the bike even with a completely dead fob battery by holding the fob in a very specific spot while powering up/starting the bike. Your owners manual will tell you the exact location. On my K1600, it is on the gas tank, just forward of the gas cap. Once the bike is started, it will continue to run until powered off even if it can no longer see the fob. You use the same procedure if using the plastic emergency key.

Recently, I've started to get an alert on the TFT that says my key fob battery is low, about to fail and should be changed. I've changed the battery twice but the alert still comes on after two weeks or so. If the battery goes dead while I'm riding will the bike continue until I stop and not restart? I did accidently wash the fob with my pants one time but that was a long time ago. Plus, now I can't find my back up fob for comparison use. Anyone know if the battery alert is a serious caution or if I can proceed past it. Incidentally, there is no way to delete or minimize the alert from the screen. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks

Do you keep the fob near the bike when parked? That will discharge the battery quickly.
I would check the batteries to make sure they're good and clean the fob contacts with contact cleaner.

The antenna on the f750 gs is under the seat. As long as you don't shut the bike off, it will still run. If the battery fails, place the fob or the plastic key close to the antenna. The bike should start.

Do you keep the fob near the bike when parked? That will discharge the battery quickly.

I've read that, but it has not been my experience. As a matter of fact, the only time the fob is not on the bike is when I've stopped somewhere and put the fob in my pocket. When the bikes are in the garage, the fob stays on the bike. The battery's last at least a full year if not longer.

I've read that, but it has not been my experience. As a matter of fact, the only time the fob is not on the bike is when I've stopped somewhere and put the fob in my pocket. When the bikes are in the garage, the fob stays on the bike. The battery's last at least a full year if not longer.

At least a year? My '18 GSA still has the original fob battery.

At least a year? My '18 GSA still has the original fob battery.

I can beat that :laugh , my 2003 Dodge Cummins has one original fob that still works! The other got wet and took out battery.
The fob must chirp back and forth sitting close I would believe with a drain.

Back