• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250R Keyless Ride Fob Antenna Issue

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
I have an annoying issue with my keyless fob and my 2020 R1250R. I'm not sure whether it is a faulty antenna or if I am carrying the fob in a bad place.

I bought the bike new in April 2021. With the fob in my shirt pocket I am able to start the bike but after a few minutes I get an alert on the TFT warning the Keyless Fob is out of range and it's not possible to restart the engine. I can clear the alert with the wonder wheel. If the ride is longer I can get the same alert several times. When the alerts first started to show up I replaced the battery in the fob thinking a weak battery might be the issue. With a new battery the alerts continued to show up. I have also experimented with locating the fob closer to the start switch such as in the wrist pocket on my Darien jacket or my Klim jacket. On. my last trip I hung the fob on a d-ring on the front of my tank bag about 6 inches from the start switch. I still get the alerts.

Sometimes at stops such as for fuel I get the flashing red light on the TFT which I think indicates key fob not detected. It takes a few seconds for the blinking red light to stop and I can try again. It takes a few tries to get the system to recognize the fob and start. To date it has always restarted after fueling.

In my Owners Manual there is a diagram that shows an antenna under the seat used with the spare key. Is this the only antenna? Is there another antenna at the switch? If there is only the underseat antenna, I may be exacerbating the issues by putting the fob on the tank bag. I am hoping there is a simple solution to avoiding this alert issue. I'd like to avoid a warranty repair.

Anyone else experience keyless fob range issues?

Actually, the tank bag could be part of the problem. Some time back, I started getting alerts on my 15 RT. I never go out on the bike without my tank bag, unless it's around the block to check something out.

After a few attempts to resolve it, I landed on the left fairing pocket. When I get everything ready to ride, I put the fob in the left pocket. When I get off the bike and walk away from it, I always take the fob with me. Back on the bike, back in the left fairing pocket. Works fine.

It's been about a year since I started doing that and it works fine.

In my Owners Manual there is a diagram that shows an antenna under the seat used with the spare key. Is this the only antenna?

Yes the only antenna is under the seat.
I would think having the fob in your jacket would be close enough but I would try it in your pant pocket.

When I move Debbie's bike she has to stand within a foot or so of the bike. That should be a similar distance as the fob in your sleeve, but who knows.

I have the same issue since adding Cyclops LED turn signals with running lights. Seems that interference from the lights cause the bike to lose the signal from the fob, but only when it is is close to the front of the bike (turn signals). If the fob is in my jacket (where it is 99% of the time), no issues. If I have the fob in the pocket on the tank, the warning comes up. If I shut the bike off, it won't restart until the Can Bus powers down and the lights turn off, then everything works as it should. Once I understood what was happening, no worries.

Do you have another fob for a different vehicle on you at the same time? may cause an issue

That is an interesting question. I often carry the fob for my Ram 2500 in my pocket as well. I'll also note that I have Weiser running lights and I wonder if there may be some interference from those. I'll try using the pants pocket and see what happens then.

Thanks for the input.

I have Weiser Technik LED turn signals but not the running lights function and have no issues. I do always carry the fob in either my riding pants pocket or less often my jacket pocket. I've had no issues yet but have only had the Weiser Technik LED lights for about a month.

Just a data point, I've got a 2020 1250r and have installed dynamic Motorrad led turn signals. I keep my fob in my left chest pocket of my riding suit and have had no missing fob warnings. Hope you can find the issue.

I think we have an answer!

Yes the only antenna is under the seat.
I would think having the fob in your jacket would be close enough but I would try it in your pant pocket.

Today I had to get new tires on my R 1250 R and I tried carrying my key fob in the pocket of my Aerostitch Darien riding pants. Not on the front of my tank bag, or in the sleeve pocket of my riding jacket.

The shop is 75 miles from my home and I had no key fob alerts on the ride to get tires. Or the ride home.

The "key" insight was that the only antenna for the fob is under the seat. No sensor at the switch. I was actually making the issue worse by putting the key fob closer to the on/off switch at the front.

Thanks for all the input.

Today I had to get new tires on my R 1250 R and I tried carrying my key fob in the pocket of my Aerostitch Darien riding pants. Not on the front of my tank bag, or in the sleeve pocket of my riding jacket.

The shop is 75 miles from my home and I had no key fob alerts on the ride to get tires. Or the ride home.

The "key" insight was that the only antenna for the fob is under the seat. No sensor at the switch. I was actually making the issue worse by putting the key fob closer to the on/off switch at the front.

Thanks for all the input.

I was not 100% sure sure your key location was the problem but it looks like the pants location worked.
That was a cheap fix :)

Back