• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! Key fob out of range probably dropped on highway!

lederman

The dash indicated that the key fob was out of range while I was riding to a destination. I must have not secured the key fob in my pocket before riding. I had ridden for 15 minutes before the indication appeared on the TFT. How quickly does the computer notice then indicate that the fob is not in range? If it is fast I know where to look. If it is slower to react my search area is much larger. Thanks!

From my experiencing, it happens pretty much immediately!

Good luck!

I hated doing it, but when I bought my 2018 RT I bought a second key FOB first thing. I didn't want to take the chance of losing the one and having to deal with the emergency key.

I took delivery about a month ago and it didn’t even come with a spare platstic emergency key. I’ve ordered one of those and now I will be ordering a new fob or TWO!

Happens immediately, good luck in the search.....don't get an as# full of radiator out there.! :D

Happens immediately, don’t ask how I know, lol. I was doing some service related stuff to my 15 and I had the key on the gas cap. Went for a shake down and noticed the fob light on, made it about a mile. Backtracked SLOWLY and there it was in the gutter……6 inches from a deep puddle. Lesson learned, lol

Can't help with the current situation but can tell you what I know has worked for me.

First, if you can't locate your fob, buy two. They aren't cheap but then again, they're generally going to be cheaper than being stranded - AND then having to buy another one. Put one fob into service and make certain it's somewhere it CAN'T get lost or dropped out of a pocket. Make sure the second one works, remove the battery, put the battery in a small ziplock, the fob in another small ziplock. Find a location on your bike where it's not generally going to be spotted and stash the spares JIC.

Personally, when I ride my '15, I put the fob in the left fairing pocket and it stays there unless I leave the bike for meals, breaks, whatever when it goes with me.

I also carry the plastic key for my bike and I strongly recommend you get one and carry it in your wallet. They're easier to use than many seem to think.

Good luck.

I took delivery about a month ago and it didn’t even come with a spare platstic emergency key. I’ve ordered one of those and now I will be ordering a new fob or TWO!
Be prepared for sticker shock. I bought a spare fob last month- 409.00

As motorcycles keep trying to emulate owners/manufacturers 4 wheel vehicles, when will motorcycles make their way to full 4 wheels?
OM

The first thing I did with my fobs was put an Apple AirTag on them. I've done with with all my sets of keys.

A little late for the OP, but it even proactively notifies me if it believes I've left them somewhere on my home screen. I got 4 tags for $100, they took three days to arrive, complete with custom engraving. I bought four silicone air tag holders that are now on the keychain with my fobs.

Cheap insurance and you can find them just about anywhere.

At $25, they're way cheaper than buying additional fobs and you have just about zero chance of losing them. https://www.thedrive.com/news/forgotten-airtag-tracks-totaled-audi-q5-from-pennsylvania-to-poland#

key outlde of reception range

Hi,

i getting the error code of the key with the question mark. key outside of reception range. the key is in my pocket and the light just comes on when i am riding. then it will just go out on its own. i tried replacing the key fob battery, but that did not help. any thoughts?

thanks

"i getting the error code of the key with the question mark. key outside of reception range. the key is in my pocket and the light just comes on when i am riding. then it will just go out on its own"

I've had the same thing happen couple times, key was in my pocket

I’ve had that message once or twice on my GS while carrying the fob in a pants pocket, but never since I started keeping the fob in a chest pocket of the “Stich”.

Best,
DeVern

Hi,

i getting the error code of the key with the question mark. key outside of reception range. the key is in my pocket and the light just comes on when i am riding. then it will just go out on its own. i tried replacing the key fob battery, but that did not help. any thoughts?

thanks

Try a different, fresh, hi-quality battery. I have good luck with Duracell CR2032. Of course, YMMV

Last week while I was idling in line at the Canada/USA border (coming into the USA) I got a warning message that the fob was out of range. I checked my pocket and sure enough my fob was there. It has a relatively new battery. The message went away after a couple minutes and I got to thinking - with all the cameras and sensors in the lanes at the checkpoint (and who knows what other electronics), I wondered if some radio frequencies were interrupting the fob signal? And maybe RF is the cause of other interruptions?

Last week while I was idling in line at the Canada/USA border (coming into the USA) I got a warning message that the fob was out of range. I checked my pocket and sure enough my fob was there. It has a relatively new battery. The message went away after a couple minutes and I got to thinking - with all the cameras and sensors in the lanes at the checkpoint (and who knows what other electronics), I wondered if some radio frequencies were interrupting the fob signal? And maybe RF is the cause of other interruptions?

Could very well be. Today’s electronic devices don’t have the innate “protection” older devices inherently had- for a number of reasons.
I have a paper shredder that activates when I “key” a hand-held walki-talkie.

OM

Back