• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin XT2 in a BMW GPS mount

mneblett

My R1250RS came with the standard BMW GPS prep kit, with the mount on the steering head (far too low, IMO). So, no question I was going to move the GPS mount higher. I opted for the MotoMate over-dash mount https://moto-mate.com/shop/gps-mounts/bmw-gps-mounts/raised-navigation-mount-for-bmw-r1250rs/.

I've owned basically every GPS BMW has offered over the years, including the Navigator VI. When the alternative was the Garmin XT, the Nav VI's integration with the MultiController wheel was enough for me to go with the Nav VI. Now that the significantly better Garmin XT2 is out, and in view of the numerous reports of Nav VI issues, I purchased an XT2.

Now, how to mount the GPS? I wanted to use the BMW GPS mount if possible, for its bike key-secured locking.

I found two options. The first one is an "all-in-one" unit which snaps into the BMW mount's GPS mount (the block with the electrical pins): https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product/e-navxt/. For me, there were two issues with this adapter: (i) I didn't care for its visible loop of adapter cable which hangs down below the GPS, potentially overlapping the top of the TFT display; and (ii) the fact that the relatively short length of the BMW mount cable would have required routing the cable down the front of the dash, partially behind the TFT, which to me was not terribly "tidy" (noooo ... I'm not O.C.D.!).

The second option is from Kristopher Ryan Rides (I can't find his website, but his YouTube page is here: https://www.youtube.com/@kristopherryanrides198/videos. His adapter allows the use of the Garmin mount that comes in the XT2 package with the locking portion of the BMW Nav prep mount (i.e., the frame left after the BMW mount block is removed). Kristopher's approach replaces the BMW mount's sliding locking bar with a double bar which blocks release of the XT2 from its mount, and a spacer which moves the XT2 out (toward the rider) to provide clearance (the XT2 is larger than the Nav VI and XT).

EDIT TO ADD Kristopher's email: kristopherryanrides@proton.me

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1248 (1).jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

This approach eliminates the 3DAM's adapter cable visible below the GPS, and avoids routing the cable down the front of the dash.

The considerably longer Garmin mount's cable allows the cable to be routed forward to the slot for the windshield arms. The cable then passes across the hidden side of the dash panel, under/through the central fairing mounting bracket to the steering head, and thence to the bike's GPS cable connector.

And conveniently, the tethered Garmin rubber cover for the electrical pins when the GPS is not present snaps onto the Moto Mate mount arm, keeping it out of sight from the rider's seat, too.

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

With the windshield installed, the cable is virtually invisible, as it is effectively covered by the windshield mount frame. I was very careful to make sure that the windshield arms do not come close to touching the cable throughout their range of motion. This arrangement leaves no cable visible below the GPS when it is in place.

Note that the original M4x30 BMW mount screws are not long enough after the inclusion of spacer. I picked up some M4x35 and M4x40 screws from Amazon. As you can see below, the M4x35 screws are just long enough. I had originally used the M4x40 screws to attach the Garmin mount, which left a bit less than 5 mm of excess length. I then replaced them one-by-one with the M4x35's. I mention this because I'm not sure the M4x35 screws would have engaged the M4 nuts without the M4x40's having "precompressed" the mount to get them close enough to engage the nuts.

IMG_1242.jpg

As always, I hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
Back