• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! Key fob out of range probably dropped on highway!

I use Tiles. For my purposes, they work great. They tell me if keys/wallet are actually near me or not, and where last seen. Replaceable batteries on the ones I have.

If I lost something on the road, though, AirTags would probably give a better location just due to the greater crowdsourcing of location info.

I'll grab some tiles when google rolls out there tracking app like I-phone user can use now. It's in the works, maybe by mid 2024 it'll be operational. I won't switch to an apple product just to be able to use the tracking service.

Soon, I'll have tags on a bunch of things, until then, I'll just keep track of things as I always have.

They’ll work thousands of miles from your iPhone via the FindMy native iOS app.

I realize it can see your airtag thousands of miles from your iphone, but I thought the airtag site said it needs to be near another iphone to see it's location.
Did I read the airtag site wrong?

The last known location would not be bulletproof for me because a lot of times my phone is off when I'm on the bike.
It's not unusual for Debbie to go a week without turning her phone on.

Tags and Tiles work great, but if you lose your fob, or key, on a highway there's no guarantee what condition they'll be in once they've been run over a few times.

I've got my key attached to a large plastic luggage bag tag so it is easer to find, and a little harder to come out of a pocket, etc. :lurk

E.

Last edited:
I've got my key attached to a large plastic luggage bag tag so it is easer to find, and a little harder to come out of a pocket, etc. :lurk

E.

It's possible for me to lose my fob in the house but on a trip it stays in my pocket attached to a cord.
I use the non chipped metal key for the GPS and seat.

Klim.jpg

I realize it can see your airtag thousands of miles from your iphone, but I thought the airtag site said it needs to be near another iphone to see it's location.
Did I read the airtag site wrong?

The last known location would not be bulletproof for me because a lot of times my phone is off when I'm on the bike.
It's not unusual for Debbie to go a week without turning her phone on.

Any iPhone.

I just leave mine on all the time. We don’t have a landline anymore.

Back