• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

at the Airheads tent: my first MOA rally experience

chichaz

Hi,
I got back from the rally last eve and am still aflutter from my first experience. It was pretty special. Seeing motorcycles in every direction, along the streets of the fairgrounds where you'd expect to see them but also on sidewalks, next to tents, indoors, etc. gave me a good feeling. That they were 98% BMWs made it even better. Well then I found the Airheads Beemer Club tent. It's off in its own little world and what a world it is!

If you haven't been to a rally yet but intend to go (go if you can!), I would make this your first stop after registration. What I saw and experienced was the definition of community. First you ride up and a handful of people (well mostly guys) walk over and start inspecting your ride. They'll ask questions about it and engage you. If you have a specific issue with it, they'll give you advice on troubleshooting steps. If you're friendly about it (how many unfriendly Airhead riders have you met?) they'll give you hands-on advice, walking you through the steps while you get your hands dirty. They'll lend you tools, jump right in with you, answer questions, and teach you. They ask nothing in return as many enjoy the experience even though they're doing you a favor. While they don't ask anything, I felt strongly compelled to join (it's quite inexpensive) and to help where I could with anyone else who needed it. For instance this year's site was along a fairly steep hill and the soft pavement heated from hot weather made several side stands sink in so a few bikes dropped on their side. Every time it happened, a crew descended immediately and righted the bike, even when the owner wasn't around to witness it or help.

For someone who's had an Airhead for many years but with little time and no dedicated space to work on it, all this education, insight, and camaraderie is an overwhelming and beautiful experience. I'm already trying to determine how to make it to next years' event despite work conflicts. I don't know what the state of the Airheads Beemer Club site is at the moment - if it's down temporarily or longer. I hope it's back up soon either way. In the meantime I'm here to say these guys are special, and spending time with them provided me with a sense of ownership far beyond simply owning and riding a 40 year old bike full of character and personality. If you're one of the crew and met you there but didn't get your name or contact info, please feel free to reach out. Next time you're in Chicago, get in touch and enjoy a meal or a beverage on me!
:beer

Cheers,
-Charlie

Great summation of the Airhead community

Nice to have met you, Charlie. Stay in touch.

Jer
Warrenville, IL

Welcome to the forum Gary.
Do you have pictures of the office chair races :)

I agree that most of these Airhead people are great. Kurt has been an immense help to lots of people. Others.... well ......

However the real problem is the upper management of the BMWMOA that is the problem. When Aldridge and his clones came in, things changed.

But it's the people in the "trenches" that make what is good, good!!

Welcome to the forum Gary.
Do you have pictures of the office chair races :)

Haha I'm not Gary but I might have a video... https://photos.app.goo.gl/68H7xgiaEfEnPkGC9
(Hope no one gets in trouble for this.)

Thanks for the welcome, all! Hey Jer, glad you chimed in - I didn't see you again after Matt's 2nd Airhead class.

Now I need to sort out why I'm not getting notifications of replies...

cheers,
-Charlie (MOA #14880, Airhead #16385)

Welcome

Always good to see a new Illinois Airhead. If you are not doing anything 8-17,18-2018 we are having a Campout near the Peoria TT flat track race see details on regional Midwest threads below, or on the Airhead Beemer web site you and your friends are welcome.
Actually anybody who wants to come are welcome.

Always good to see a new Illinois Airhead. If you are not doing anything 8-17,18-2018 we are having a Campout near the Peoria TT flat track race see details on regional Midwest threads below, or on the Airhead Beemer web site you and your friends are welcome.
Actually anybody who wants to come are welcome.

Ooh thanks for the heads up! Gotta see if the wife will release me from Chicago air & water show commitment Saturday.
(got my thread replies working :wave )

Welcome to the fold. What you described earlier is exactly what we try to achieve. I am pleased to know that the message comes thru.

For the record, the chair racers in the video are Hans, who is the owner of the St.Louis dealership, and Collin, the son of the Indiana Airmarshal Don Beverage.

We had chair races every night after midnight on the downhill sidewalk next to the airheads tent. A good time was had by all.

I’m in Asheville atm. I rode up from FL for a friends wedding. Is there any chance I could stop by and spend an hour or so with the crowd?

Hi,
What I saw and experienced was the definition of community. First you ride up and a handful of people (well mostly guys) walk over and start inspecting your ride. They'll ask questions about it and engage you. If you have a specific issue with it, they'll give you advice on troubleshooting steps. If you're friendly about it (how many unfriendly Airhead riders have you met?) they'll give you hands-on advice, walking you through the steps while you get your hands dirty. They'll lend you tools, jump right in with you, answer questions, and teach you. They ask nothing in return as many enjoy the experience even though they're doing you a favor. While they don't ask anything, I felt strongly compelled to join (it's quite inexpensive) and to help where I could with anyone else who needed it. For instance this year's site was along a fairly steep hill and the soft pavement heated from hot weather made several side stands sink in so a few bikes dropped on their side. Every time it happened, a crew descended immediately and righted the bike, even when the owner wasn't around to witness it or help.

Airheads Canon #3: Airheads appreciate function over form, fact over fiction, and friendship over friction.
Airheads Canon #8: Airheads like to share time, knowledge, parts and camaraderie with other Airheads.

Hey Jer, glad you chimed in - I didn't see you again after Matt's 2nd Airhead class.

cheers,
-Charlie (MOA #14880, Airhead #16385)

Had to run off to get all suited up for the moto-cop performance riding school. Killer! Got #6 on the LT dropped stats. Hot as hell, too.
Not sure of your availability to a garage/tools, but come out to the burbs if ya need to do some maintenance. I could use to learn a thing-or-two myself.

Have fun,
Jer

I would point out that there is a member in Downers Grove (Ed Dybala) who is retired and very knowledgeable and has a well appointed garage. Ed loves to change tires. Try looking him up in the dAIRectory. or send me a PM and I will forward the info.

I would point out that there is a member in Downers Grove (Ed Dybala) who is retired and very knowledgeable and has a well appointed garage. Ed loves to change tires. Try looking him up in the dAIRectory. or send me a PM and I will forward the info.

Thanks for that! I just joined the CRBMW, and it looks like he's active there. I should be in good hands.

Back