• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why Do We Love BMW Airheads ?

Motorman2061

Howdy Beemer Buddies,

Lately I have become re-infatuated with BMW airheads. I have owned a total of 3 airheads (1974 R75/5, a 1995 R100GSPD Classic, and a 1976 R90S Silver Smoke (currently own). Since I have owned a series of more modern R and K bikes, I have become more uncomfortable with their electronic complexity. It’s not that I’m mechanically/electronically inept (close), but find all the modes, readouts, screens, etc. distracting from the main task which is, riding. As a person who loves riding and didn’t start until later in life, I find that the art of riding is the goal. For me, this goal is more easily obtained if I’m not distracted with various electronic functions.

Therefore I plan on obtaining at least one, maybe two more airheads. As you know, airheads are all different with various quirks that make riding them such a pleasure. My next project is a 1982 R65LS which has sat neglected for a few years. Another tempting purchase is a low mileage 1995 R100RT Classic in close to new condition.

So tell me, why do you love your airhead(s) ?

Enjoy riding and please ride safely in this up and coming new year of 2024.

To me, they are the Yin/Yan of moto… a balanced vibe… the product of 70 years of constant refinement and infinitely rebuildable.

IMG_1295.jpg

That is a tough question

I have owned only airheads. I purchased my first one from my brother in law and sadly traded it for a 83 R80RT because I wanted better brakes and a factory fairing. (The R75/7 I bought had a Pacifco fairing I took off as I thought it and the Vetters of the time were ugly.). The 83 lasted about a year and a half till a deer knocked me off it. I got a chance to ride the new up and coming K100 bike in 85 at Lime rock race track a BMW dealer event. Long story short I tried the K didn't like it at all, and ended up buying a left over new 84 R80RT I still have. In 95, I bought a 78 R100RS Euro spec bike and loved it almost as much as the RT. That bike got knocked out from under me at an intersection when a lad neglected to pay attention. It sat in boxes until 2017 when my friend at his airhead shop rebuilt it. October of 2022, I totaled it by not paying attention to the car ahead of me. So I am down to one bike the trusty RT.

I have always considered the RT and the RS almost perfect bikes for me. They do and did everything I want/wanted them to do. Over the years both bikes were tweaked a bit here and there with some of the better aftermarket upgrades in suspension and charging systems. LOL, I just had gotten the RS to the point of near perfection by installing a Wedgetail ignition system. (Don't ask me about long term issues with the Wedgetail system I only got 5000 miles on it).

I consider the RS airhead bikes to be the best looking bike BMW ever made. The RT comes second and the S bikes third.

They are simple bikes, no ton of plastic panels to remove to work on them, no complex electrical systems that require a dealership or dealership tools to diagnose and repair.

So far in 40 years the RT has been rock solid reliable with minor exceptions due to the high miles and all year round riding in Rochester NY.

Gee, I could go on and on about them. I am thankful to BMW for continuing to supply parts as well as aftermarket companies whom have brought back NLA parts into the market. No other motorcycle company does this (at least that is what my OM bike riding friends tell me.)

I am planning to ride the RT until I can't anymore. As for filling the garage with another bike, there are so many choices of good airheads out there to choose from. Only an empty wallet keeps me from buying something right now. St.

Almost only Airheads for me also--there's a Yamaha 850 that was given to me that's a lingering project. Note that the same tools are used to remove the swingarm on the Yamaha as on an Airhead!

My professional career started out in bicycle repair. The ensuing poverty from that meant I drove old VWs and had to fix them myself. I remained faithful to VWs even as my fortunes changed. Simple, and through about 20 years ago still supported by the OEM. Presently well supported by the aftermarket.

When I got my first Airhead (also first moto) as soon as I touched wrenches to it, it was all familiar. It was like my bicycles and my VWs made a baby. And so well supported by the OEM still that my first 'modern' car is a 2000 BMW Z3M.

Prior to acquiring my current R100 a few years ago, I had not owned an airhead, since 1995, a silver smoke R100 RS. My two wheel taste veered, or should I say, expanded to Ducatis and Moto Guzzi’s.
Although I still enjoy the Italian bikes, getting re-introduced to the qualities, idiosyncrasies and charms, of a 1000cc air cooled, vintage BMW, has been a pleasant journey. The simplicity, the germanic engineering and the beauty of these motorbikes always shine through.

Last edited:
I got my first airhead in 2010, an '82 R65 LS, it was my buddy's first motorcycle so I'd ridden it before. After an odd string of events including more changes of ownership it ended up in my stable. Ever since I was a kid before I was introduced to motorcycles the odd opposed cylinders appealed to me just because they were wierd. I just got my 2nd airhead, an '83 R100 RS, last February thinking it would be a good 2up bike for the missus. Since she has pretty much sworn off getting back on a bike it's just mine for booting around. I am really enjoying it and am happy to have it. I agree the simplicity is one of the best attributes.

Along with my '99 R1100S I think that might be enough Beemers for me but I would definitely take an airhead GS if opportunities worked out.

I really like the contrast of the Beemers to the 2 KTM's I own and I'm excited to see what the Moto Guzzi V1100 Sport that my uncle is giving me turns out to be.

I don't even have a bike with ABS, I like that none of my bikes have any of the electronic trickery of new machines. Only 2 of 6 even have fuel injection.

I got my first airhead in 2010, an '82 R65 LS, it was my buddy's first motorcycle so I'd ridden it before. After an odd string of events including more changes of ownership it ended up in my stable. Ever since I was a kid before I was introduced to motorcycles the odd opposed cylinders appealed to me just because they were wierd. I just got my 2nd airhead, an '83 R100 RS, last February thinking it would be a good 2up bike for the missus. Since she has pretty much sworn off getting back on a bike it's just mine for booting around. I am really enjoying it and am happy to have it. I agree the simplicity is one of the best attributes.

Along with my '99 R1100S I think that might be enough Beemers for me but I would definitely take an airhead GS if opportunities worked out.

I really like the contrast of the Beemers to the 2 KTM's I own and I'm excited to see what the Moto Guzzi V1100 Sport that my uncle is giving me turns out to be.

I don't even have a bike with ABS, I like that none of my bikes have any of the electronic trickery of new machines. Only 2 of 6 even have fuel injection.

I want to be your uncles nephew…:)
Seriously, the Guzzi Sport 1100’s are about as much fun as a 2 valve engine can be. Plus, they look exotic and very Italian.
What year is the V1100 Sport?

Ok I'll bite. In photos...

R65 LS with Hans Muth's autograph proudly displayed.
IMG_9172-XL.jpg

Pretty much all original '83 including the tire pump.
IMG_8616-XL.jpg

A gift...'03 V1100 Sport
DSC02158-XL.jpg

Happy now?:ha

That looks like a 2003 or 2004. Should have the longer wheelbase, than the first year models. Also known as a spine frame.
Those are excellent V Twins, somewhat agricultural, but so are the airheads. Very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 123
For me, I think it’s because I perceive that airheads were not designed to be disposable, in contrast to so many other things in our lives. They are long-lived simple tools, like a 16 oz. claw hammer, and not a $19.95 Harbor Freight battery powered saw.

We read of many airheads that have been passed down from father to son, uncle to niece or nephew. They are worth keeping, and if maintained are still usable as daily drivers 50 or 60 years later.

Newer machines are faster, have better brakes, and are probably more comfortable for the annual two-up trip to the National, but airheads are becoming collectors items for good reason.

My grandfather was a carpenter. I still have and use his hammer and a few other tools, passed on to me from my father. It’s a nice reminder of both of them, long gone. My grandfather did not ride a BMW, but if he had, there’s probably a good chance I’d be using that too now …

They’re simple and fun. To me, they represent the earliest days of my riding career. 45 years later, Tina and I still love piling on for a ride. She first saw me on a 1977 R75/7, complete with Windjammer SS.

I’ll always have one and dearly love mine, but there’s no escaping the fact that they are 50 year old tech. They’re not my primary ride any longer, but I find their successor boxers carry their legacy forward really well with far better power, chassis, safety and maintenance improvements.

I’ve been through mine in the 20 years I’ve owned it. It’s part of the family. I “knew” this one when it was Greg McQuide’s bike when he was a YB. When he moved to LA to write for Motorcyclist, it lived at their offices on Wilshire. Duncan made it out of a couple bikes that were wrecked, so it’s kind of an LE with a dubious frame. I bought it from Mitch Boehm after Greg died at the Honda Hoot in 2000.

It’ll be in my estate. :ha

IMG_3599.jpg

Edit: oh for Pete’s sake with this photo. :ha

Not your fault on the photo. It seems that the forum software interprets an iPhone photo- rotationally challenged. :)
iPhone pictures taken in the “landscape” orientation usually upload correctly.

OM

They’re simple and fun. To me, they represent the earliest days of my riding career. 45 years later, Tina and I still love piling on for a ride. She first saw me on a 1977 R75/7, complete with Windjammer SS.

I’ll always have one and dearly love mine, but there’s no escaping the fact that they are 50 year old tech. They’re not my primary ride any longer, but I find their successor boxers carry their legacy forward really well with far better power, chassis, safety and maintenance improvements.

I’ve been through mine in the 20 years I’ve owned it. It’s part of the family.

:thumb That's close to my thoughts.

Love my Airhead /5's

Hi
I started riding my R50/5 in 1976. Road it for a year and a half traded up to a R90/6 and rode that for 17 years or so. Picked up a R100Rs and had that for another 15 years or so. Then came a few Ducatis, A road King and A K bike. Had 8 bikes in the garage at one time and slowly they all went away except for my 1988 R100RT and three toasters.

Today after 47 years of riding and at 67 years old I cherish My Toaster bikes the most. My RT is my work horse with heated grips, bags, and lots of wind protection. I use it as my cold weather bike. My toasters are light weight and easy to move around the workshop and are easy to live with. I don't tune the engines or do any machine work as I am not a true mechanic. I do lots of maintenance and keep them up to date in my workshop. I paint accessories to match each bike, spoon on new tires, grease and change the fluids, change fuel lines, brakes, etc. When it comes to tuning up my airheads I have an Independent mechanic and attend tech days for things that are beyond my skill level.

Last year I had 3 bikes broken down at once. 88Rt had swollen front brake lines and the calipers were binding up. Got new lines from Duncan's Beemers and some quality time in my workshop and the RT is back in business. My curry 72 had a broken Nail/key switch. One of the balls that hold the key in place fell out and key would not hold. Did I mention tech days, thank goodness for tech days when everyone pitched in and fixed it. My Green 73 was just not running right so off to the Duncans Beemers for a full tune up and lots of little things including cleaning the clogged carb jets. All three are clean and healthy now, such a good feeling.

If your still reading thanks, now the list of why I love these machines.

Air cooled engine, cylinders that keep feet warm on cold mornings, spokes, shaft drive, enclosed drivetrain, Tire pump and complete tool kit, adjustable shocks, thumb screw throttle lock, steering damper adjustment, quality materials, etc. Every little thing on the /5's have been over engineered and have a purpose, even if it's 50 years old it still works for me. I like using the center stand as a jack when removing a rim. The tool kit is highly useable and I prefer it to my shop tools when working on bikes. Routine maintenance and cleaning is always a joy and very rewarding when finished. These old /5's shine up and look so good after some quality time spent on them.

Let's not forget riding them. This is where some people get confused about the older bikes. If I were riding hard on the interstates at high speed then a newer more advanced bike would be in order. I'm 67 and not committing, running errands or touring any more. I go for day rides or over night rides from Boston to my place in Maine. Rain is no problem for these machines because everything is sealed up, the cable ends, forks boots, tool tray with gasket, etc. Good gas milage at 45 ish. Nice exhaust note. Great handling and low center of gravity, I tell people that when turning the bike, it swings like a bell as opposed to leaning it over. Maybe I'm set in my ways or just used to these /5's but they just make sense to me.

I have a 911 for the highway. Chevy Express for errands and hauling materials. As far as touring I have been hauling a toaster to the national rally on my tow hitch bike hauler with my Express. Safer and more comfy at my age.

I can't believe I spent 66 days on my 1971 R50/5 at 21 years old and polished off 12,000 miles circumnavigating the untied states. That ride would punish me today, but loved it back then.

I could keep going but enough for now. I really love the 72-73 toasters for what they are. Simple and complete for my needs.
Long live the Slash 5

Brian

It isn't necessarily obvious, but it's mostly because ... they are comfortable.

It's much down to the boxer twin engine configuration.

This configuration provides pretty nice engine balance, i.e. it isn't buzzy. The 1000s got a little lumpy, but I refer to that as "massage." It certainly isn't buzzy. If yours is uncomfortable, it's out of tune.

The absolutely ridiculous 45-degree V-twin configuration puts a rear cylinder head in your crotch and an exhaust pipe running down your leg. The boxer twin configuration keeps these heat sources as far away from the rider as possible.

Of course the boxer configuration provides maximum engine cooling ... there certainly isn't any need to disable a "rear" cylinder to avoid overheating.

Final thing on the engine ... my 1100 Oilhead engine is even lumpier than my late 1000 Airhead, and 1100/1150 might be the limit, as the 1200 Hexheads got balancer shafts. Feels as good as an R80.

Of course Airheads were the last with the super soft suspensions. They are nice, but they get a bit "interesting" when high speed performance is desired, and the next generation BMWs left that behind. They still are pretty comfortable, but their handling is lots better.

Were you to "test" a current Boxer BMW you wouldn't notice much comfort loss, but you would for sure notice way more power combined, thanks to fuel injection, with way better fuel mileage. You could be listening to built in Sirius Satellite Radio and sitting on a heated seat. You could have electronic traction control. When the R1200RS first arrived, I did a constant dollar comparison of its price compared to what I paid in 12/'83 for my then new R100RS. About the same price, but now with 40 more horsepower, another transmission gear, way better fuel economy, way better handling, ABS braking.

In 1984 on our way to the National in Missoula, we arrived in Jackson Hole to the KOA Campground in rain after lots of Wyoming down to bedrock road construction. Another group arrived same time, and one female rider was on a "chopper look" 250 Kawasaki twin and she was in full "b*tch" mode. Comfort counts.

Back