• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do you do when

In Germany - and in my owner's manual for my '89 R100GS - the fuel grade is specifedi as 91 ROZ (or RON) in the US. Regular unleaded in Germany is rated as 91 ROZ and 82.5 MOZ (or MON in the US).

In the US the number stated on at the pump is AKI = (RON + MON) / 2 which makes regular unleaded in Germany comparable to 86.75 AKI.

That makes me feel better when I occasionally have to fill up with '85'.

/Guenther

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktanzahl
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

[Edit]Scott, you were at the same path at the same time.

Have I just been lucky?

I've been using regular grade gas in motorcycles that called for premium since 1975. I've never had a problem with any of them that was even remotely related to fuel.

On a recent trip in the southwest I could only get 85 octane fuel for my 1200 GS. I didn't notice any difference in the perfomance of the bike. I don't ride hard or fast so all was well. I did however notice a hugh difference in the taste of beer after it got hot on the way to Monument Valley :D

If I am heading off on a road trip, I usually throw a bottle of octane booster in the side case. I don't ever rember seeing anything less than 87 octane in Canada myself, but in places like Nebraska I have seen 85 octane. Anything less than 89 octane, I give it a slug or two from the bottle and I have never noticed any knocking or pinging. My bike is 2100 R1200GS; minimum requirement is 89 but I put in 91 if it is available.

Back