• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New ATGATT article. Neck Braces

dmvprof

Just read the artcle in the BMW Owners News magazine by Dustin Silvey. I think that he laid down a lot if wisdom there. Unfortunately a little late for me as I had a low speed fall on deep sand but went high side and overextended my neck and damaged my C7-T1 disc. I was very lucky it was just the disc and that I can still wipe my own butt. But i still have frequent bouts with pain from a pinched and irritated nerve with mild radiculopathy.

So now you dont see me without a neck brace while on a bike. May be too late to save my disc, but since it is compramised Im more prone to serious injury.

What do others here think about them? Do you use them? If not, why? And what do you think of people that do?

In addition, im considering the new Helite riding jacket with a low profile tethered airbag that offers even more protection to the cervical area.

Cheers! And stay safe.

Last edited:
I had to have neck fusion between C6-C7 thirty years ago that completely fixed that type of problem for me. After all these years now the discs below it are beginning to cause the same issues. I have had good success with home traction three times a week for fifteen minutes per session which has stopped the deteriorating condition and has allowed me to have a better quality of life without needing more fusion surgery which would have likely stopped my riding due to limited range of motion in my neck. If you haven't already tried this type of therapy it might be something to check into. Send me a PM if you want more details.

Just read the artcle in the BMW Owners News magazine by Dustin Silvey. I think that he laid down a lot if wisdom there. Unfortunately a little late for me as I had a low speed fall on deep sand but went high side and overextended my neck and damaged my C7-T1 disc. I was very lucky it was just the disc and that I can still wipe my own butt. But i still have frequent bouts with pain from a pinched and irritated nerve with mild radiculopathy.

So now you dont see me without a neck brace while on a bike. May be too late to save my disc, but since it is compramised Im more prone to serious injury.

What do others here think about them? Do you use them? If not, why? And what do you think of people that do?

In addition, im considering the new Helite riding jacket with a low profile tethered airbag that offers even more protection to the cervical area.

Cheers! And stay safe.
I came off in 2022..6 broken ribs, broken shoulder blade, punctured lung, broken clavicle..9 days in the hospital, 2 months in bed at home.
Surgeons appt. in February for broken clavicle.
I have since upgraded all the armour in my Klim Latitude jacket from level 1 to level 2 and bought a Helite vest.

I had to have neck fusion between C6-C7 thirty years ago that completely fixed that type of problem for me. After all these years now the discs below it are beginning to cause the same issues. I have had good success with home traction three times a week for fifteen minutes per session which has stopped the deteriorating condition and has allowed me to have a better quality of life without needing more fusion surgery which would have likely stopped my riding due to limited range of motion in my neck. If you haven't already tried this type of therapy it might be something to check into. Send me a PM if you want more details.
Yep. Ive been given that option but havent committed. I was worried about long term issues with adjacent vertibrae and trying to put it off. Glad it worked for you. Good outcomes like that are encouraging.

I came off in 2022..6 broken ribs, broken shoulder blade, punctured lung, broken clavicle..9 days in the hospital, 2 months in bed at home.
Surgeons appt. in February for broken clavicle.
I have since upgraded all the armour in my Klim Latitude jacket from level 1 to level 2 and bought a Helite vest.
Wow! Glad your back in the saddle. That sounds excrutiating.

I don’t wear much protective gear - i think it’s a personal issue and believe each should ride in whatever makes them comfortable, knowing that dumb stuff can happen at any time. Regarding the neck - I’ve had 2 level disc replacement and 4 plates installed about 3 years ago. I opted not to go the fusion route. Only time will tell if it was the right decision.

I've worn my Helite Turtle 2 on and off for 3 years now. I don't always wear it, it's heavy, it's hot and I live in the desert where a cool day in the summer is 105F.

I have upgraded all my jackets to level 2 protection. Relative the neck brace, other than when I'm wearing the Helite vest, I'm not inclined.

I've been off at 65mph on a thruway wearing a T shirt, dungarees and work boots. Lots of damage, mostly the rotator cuff which took 8 month of therapy to get 90% motion back.

I use the Alpinestars Techair vest under my jacket on the street and a Hitair pull cord vest over my leathers on the track. I haven't crash tested either one but since the deercident I'll take all the help I can get.

Both are reasonably comfortable in hot weather. The Techair vest passes a lot more air than I suspected ahead of getting it.

They are expensive but if you are fortunate enough to afford one it's well worth it.

I have bone spurs C3 and C5 and a reduced opening for the nerve bundle left side C7. Damage from skiing and Mtn bike crashes.

I rode an 8 day offroad rally in Mongolia and wore a neck brace every day. I had a few getoffs and I know for sure the neck brace saved me from injury.

I still wear it off-roading and might for my Trans Taiga trip as it will be close to 2k km's of dirt. I am looking at air vests but it's not in the budget right now.

I understand how inflatable vests/liners work. But do not think I have ever seen a free-standing protective brace for amotorcyclist's neck. Can folks post examples, photos, etc.

I understand how inflatable vests/liners work. But do not think I have ever seen a free-standing protective brace for amotorcyclist's neck. Can folks post examples, photos, etc.
Bohn armor makes this one

These available from Revzilla

I had a fusion in 2022, levels 5-7 and wear a Helite vest now which will support your neck should it inflate.
Prior to my surgery, traction helped me a ton until the discs were just too far gone. My neurosurgeon told me I couldn't do traction anymore post surgery, too much risk to the repaired area.

I have an old school Leatt that still does the job. The newer ones are a bit lower profile.
i-cCsphgH-XL.jpg
i-hK7jz7S-XL.jpg

Back