• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why can't I get a GS out of my head?

You ask, "Why can't I get a GS out of my head?" My question is, "Why would you want to?":scratch

Even though you don't "plan" on taking it off road, sometimes the highway department takes the road away, and when they do, I like the way my GSPD just keeps on going with minimal fuss.

Tom

Good choice :thumb

I went from airhead GS to oilhead. Loved the 1150GS but then went back and picked up a 80 G/S airhead. :dance

68348298_TL5i7-S.jpg

475096836_uLYvJ-S.jpg

Kept them both . . . just love the versatility of the platform.

You would be a good person to ask: what do you like about each bike and what are some of the main differences of the two? Oh...what years are your GS's??

This thread is interesting to me. I have a GS (Airhead GSPD), but I've been thinking how much fun an oilhead/hexhead "S" would be. I guess the grass is always greener... though I'd want this in addition to what I have, not to replace the GS. :)

I know a guy who has about the same GS as yours...he test-rode my 1200 and said that he felt that it felt very similar but in a better way, and the extra power was really fun. I think you'd enjoy having both and spending enldess rides comparing and contrasting.

I'm in the camp that bought the GS for reasons other than getting off-pavement. My main reason was that I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam. The GS was the best fit for my freakishly large frame. I still needed lowered pegs to feel closer to the right fit. I still need a custom seat to get it even closer to just right.

The bike is superb on-road, although the height can make it more awkward to fling through the curves. I'm about as tall in the saddle as I am standing, so that means that I'm swinging over six feet of stuff from the pivot-point of the tires as I lean it. But that sort of makes it more fun too, as the leans are a bit more dramatic. The tall goofyness of the GS makes me describe it as what would happen if you mixed an adolescent Labrador retriever (all legs and energy) with a crotch-rocket.

The GS handles better than what I can fully utilise, and I have a lot of fun trying. It tours with the best of them, can carry enough camping gear for a whole summer in the woods, and it will get you out of so many sticky places. Then you can unstrap all the gear, stick some road-tires back on, and do 130 and scrape pegs (LOTS of lean required!) like nobody's business. It's the one bike that most people would choose if they could only have one bike. I love it. You love it. You want it. You NEED it. You MUST have it. Go get it!

I'm in the camp that bought the GS for reasons other than getting off-pavement. My main reason was that I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam. The GS was the best fit for my freakishly large frame. I still needed lowered pegs to feel closer to the right fit. I still need a custom seat to get it even closer to just right.

The bike is superb on-road, although the height can make it more awkward to fling through the curves. I'm about as tall in the saddle as I am standing, so that means that I'm swinging over six feet of stuff from the pivot-point of the tires as I lean it. But that sort of makes it more fun too, as the leans are a bit more dramatic. The tall goofyness of the GS makes me describe it as what would happen if you mixed an adolescent Labrador retriever (all legs and energy) with a crotch-rocket.

The GS handles better than what I can fully utilise, and I have a lot of fun trying. It tours with the best of them, can carry enough camping gear for a whole summer in the woods, and it will get you out of so many sticky places. Then you can unstrap all the gear, stick some road-tires back on, and do 130 and scrape pegs (LOTS of lean required!) like nobody's business. It's the one bike that most people would choose if they could only have one bike. I love it. You love it. You want it. You NEED it. You MUST have it. Go get it!

HAHHAAA.....oh yeah- Im with ya bro!:dance

Like others on here, my GS purchase wasn't really specifically for going "off-road". I found myself riding in out of the way places with questionable road surfaces and occasional gravel sections (nothing extreme). The PD was a good choice because I get extra fuel capacity, I didn't need the passenger section of the seat (not that you can't put one on), and it would handle better on rough pavement.

Fast forward to the first summer with the bike and I'm running it on some "easy" off-road stuff locally, and then by the fall I have knobbies mounted and I'm riding to the top of Hunter Mountain with it. It's a versatile bike. If I end up riding around the world, the Airhead GSPD is the perfect bike for it... reliable, simple (easy to fix) and tough.

As for windshields, I always like having my head out in the air stream. It's not as optimal when it rains, but I like the extra airflow. Just make sure the wind dumps out below your neck or else it will buffet your head something terrible.

gspd-mtntop.jpg

You would be a good person to ask: what do you like about each bike and what are some of the main differences of the two? Oh...what years are your GS's??

They are worlds apart mechanically.

The R80G/S is a modified 1983 model:
Being an airhead makes it simple to work on and I enjoy doing my own maintenence and repair; with confidence that I can at least bodge a repair that can get me home if necessary. Also, being much lighter (~400 lbs), it is much better off road and for KISS light weight solo touring on back roads and trails of all types.

The R1150GS is a 2002 model with non-integrated ABS brakes:
Great two up touring bike - mount up and ride across country by highway or byway. It's, just a modern bike with BMWs telelever suspension, more HP, ABS brakes (saved my a** more than once). . . eats up miles on the road but it is a weighty beast for off road. My tinkering with this bike is more accessorizing with intercom, XM radio, radar detector, GPS, seats, etc. to enhance the long ride experience for my wife and I (others wouldn't have the desire to do so). It just makes a great ride.

I'll do single track with the boyz on the R80G/S but, with my limited off road riding skills, try to keep the much heavier 1150 on jeep roads or more deluxe roadways.

I went for a ride with my BIL last Sept in the Telllico, TN area, traveling from Louisville, KY (270 mi). He was on his 1100GS and I was on the R80. We ended up in the ORV area riding quad trails. We have about the same dirt riding experiance. On the R80G/S, I was having fun squirting around dirt corners while he was clearly having to work harder muscling around the 1100. But on the blast back home on the highway to Louisville, I was wishing for the 1150GS ;) But either bike would work, and solo, I would take either bike anywhere.

I've ridden a friend's 1200GS and it feels very different than the 1150GS. Lighter with more power, it is a great bike. The 1150GS feels more "settled" to me on the highway (but it may be me). I have lust for a 1200GSA, but have a hard time justifying the extra $$.

Don't know if I'm getting to your question. Let me know if there is anything in particular you'd like to know?

BMW twins from different mothers (generational gap) ;)

475097288_4JW2H-M-3.jpg

'95 R1100GS (not mine)
'83 R80G/S
'?? HP2 (not mine)

I love them all :dance

I've been wanting a GS for a few years now, and given the economy and birth of our son, it looks like I'll be waiting a few more years.

But, here's an interesting question. I've noticed the mid 90's R1100 GS's are priced about the same as an 90-95 R100 GS. So, for money aside, which would be a better purchase? I know there are pluses and minuses to both.

I have a GS (Airhead GSPD), but I've been thinking how much fun an oilhead/hexhead "S" would be. I guess the grass is always greener... though I'd want this in addition to what I have, not to replace the GS. :)

Smart plan!

It may seem greener to you, but since I own both airhead and oilhead GSes, if I could only have one GS, my 1990 R100 GS would stay and both my oilheads would go. ;)

They are worlds apart mechanically.

The R80G/S is a modified 1983 model:
Being an airhead makes it simple to work on and I enjoy doing my own maintenence and repair; with confidence that I can at least bodge a repair that can get me home if necessary. Also, being much lighter (~400 lbs), it is much better off road and for KISS light weight solo touring on back roads and trails of all types.

The R1150GS is a 2002 model with non-integrated ABS brakes:
Great two up touring bike - mount up and ride across country by highway or byway. It's, just a modern bike with BMWs telelever suspension, more HP, ABS brakes (saved my a** more than once). . . eats up miles on the road but it is a weighty beast for off road. My tinkering with this bike is more accessorizing with intercom, XM radio, radar detector, GPS, seats, etc. to enhance the long ride experience for my wife and I (others wouldn't have the desire to do so). It just makes a great ride.

I'll do single track with the boyz on the R80G/S but, with my limited off road riding skills, try to keep the much heavier 1150 on jeep roads or more deluxe roadways.

I went for a ride with my BIL last Sept in the Telllico, TN area, traveling from Louisville, KY (270 mi). He was on his 1100GS and I was on the R80. We ended up in the ORV area riding quad trails. We have about the same dirt riding experiance. On the R80G/S, I was having fun squirting around dirt corners while he was clearly having to work harder muscling around the 1100. But on the blast back home on the highway to Louisville, I was wishing for the 1150GS ;) But either bike would work, and solo, I would take either bike anywhere.

I've ridden a friend's 1200GS and it feels very different than the 1150GS. Lighter with more power, it is a great bike. The 1150GS feels more "settled" to me on the highway (but it may be me). I have lust for a 1200GSA, but have a hard time justifying the extra $$.

Don't know if I'm getting to your question. Let me know if there is anything in particular you'd like to know?

Yeah, thats awesome to hear from one who has been on both. Thanks for the mini-blog!

I would like to get a stock GSPD Airhead to complete my stable.
The added benefit is that I would be:

Rapid Roy the Stock Dakar Boy

:ha

Okay one thing has changed....after reading and viewing these posts I am now jonesing on maybe a R100GS airhead instead of a R1150GS! Those R100Gs's are freakin sweet! I have owned an airhead and loved how it ran.........................JEFFY WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ha

What I cant figure out how you get that helmet over the ducktail withouut crushing it!

Attachments

• ducktail.jpg
    ducktail.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 26
Back