• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can't Screw in the Hard Rubber Rear Tank Supports

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
The gas tank for my 1988 R100 RT has two hard rubber supports screwed into the frame at the rear of the tank (see photo). They were kind of worn, so I purchased new ones; however, I cannot get the new ones in. I cannot get the rubber bumper started. After just a little under a 1/4 turn, they pop out. Does anyone know a trick to getting these screwed in. I've tried a bit if silicon grease, wetting the new support, etc.

Attachments

• Tank Rubber Support.jpg
    Tank Rubber Support.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 110
Can you show a picture of your stop bumper and a slightly different angle of where it's supposed to go?

Here are some more photos from the other side.

Attachments

• Tank Rubber Support Plug.jpg
    Tank Rubber Support Plug.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Tank Rubber Support location.jpg
    Tank Rubber Support location.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 101
Strange that it is being difficult. The bumper has the spiral thread on it, so it suggests that lining that up with a lip on the frame, it should "just" spin on.

Classic

If it’s not broke don’t fix it
If it’s partially broken:dunno
Maybe old hard rubber remember old hard rubbers can get you in trouble

I would try chilling it before installation to shrink it down and take the resiliency out of it. Try putting it in the freezer overnight. If that doesn't work, try dry ice and acetone.

make it cleaner

Clean up the area around the hole, top and bottom. Then look real close at the bumpers and clean out the slag (bits left over from its molding at the factory) from the threads. Take a little bit of spray silicone and apply it to the first few threads on the bottom of the bumper and screw it in.

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I finally got them in. I tried chilling them the freezer over night as Swall suggested, but that did not help and may have made it a little harder. I did clean up all the slag from the new bumpers, but that alone did not really help.

Here’s what did work. I greased the top and bottom of the frame where the bumper screws into and on the bumper itself. I hope I can describe this well. The portion of the frame is a flat metal area where a portion was pressed lower than another area to make for the screw threads. I took a very small flat-bladed screwdriver and kept pushing the rubber portion down and through while turning. Eventually, I got it spun on about two turns, which is about where it needs to be. I can twist is a bit in either direction now for fine tuning once I put the tank back on. Once I figured this out, I got them on in about 5-10 min each. Not as quick as one would like, but not a terribly long time either.

Back