• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why can't I get a GS out of my head?

B

buckeyeclark

I have owned a 1980 R100Rt, a 1988 K100RT, and currently own a 1994 R1100RS and the one thing that is consistant when it comes to these bikes is no matter how much I enjoy rididng them I cannot get having a GS out of my head!! I really love my R1100RS So why am I always drooling over the GS's I see?? If I owned one I doubt I would ever take it off road; however, I STILL WANT ONE!!!!!!:banghead

I have owned a 1980 R100Rt, a 1988 K100RT, and currently own a 1994 R1100RS and the one thing that is consistant when it comes to these bikes is no matter how much I enjoy rididng them I cannot get having a GS out of my head!! I really love my R1100RS So why am I always drooling over the GS's I see?? If I owned one I doubt I would ever take it off road; however, I STILL WANT ONE!!!!!!:banghead

You too. I thought I was the only one. Up to now it was just a dream as the GS's were to tall for me. Then I had to go and sit on one of the factory lowered ones. Not this year, but soon. I think my new bike in a year or tow will be a GS.

I've owned K bikes and a R1100S and then in 2000 I purchased a new 1150 G.S., well it's been the most comfortable, sweetest ride I've ever had. It has 98 K on the clock with very few issues.
I just purchased a new G.S. but I think I still prefer my 1150.

Cheers!

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01693.JPG
    DSC01693.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 250

I HAD the same problem. I solved it (see my avatar) and never looked back.

Go get yourself one! :thumb

Sometimes all you have to do to get a bike out of your head is sit on one. I've ended lustful thoughts many time that way. :D

I've owned K bikes and a R1100S and then in 2000 I purchased a new 1150 G.S., well it's been the most comfortable, sweetest ride I've ever had. It has 98 K on the clock with very few issues.
I just purchased a new G.S. but I think I still prefer my 1150.

Cheers!

Mike

Mike,

Care to elaborate on why you preferred the 1150 to the 1200? Is the 1150 GS that much different than the 1100 GS?

Thanks for advance for you answer.

Same here, I'm ridin a K100RT and a R1100RS, But have had a hankering for a GS for a long time.

Mike,

Care to elaborate on why you preferred the 1150 to the 1200? Is the 1150 GS that much different than the 1100 GS?

Thanks for advance for you answer.

The 1150 has a more "beefier" look to it, and as much as it is a bit of an oximoron, it's heavier! I Love my R12GS, but the bulk of the 1150 goes down the road "truer" than the 1200 becuase of those extra pounds...

The look is where I like the 1150, the tank and "faring" is bigge.r, and I want BOTH a 1150 and my current 1200 :)

GS Lust...

I lusted after a GS for years and finally pulled the trigger on an 09 GSA. Just doin my part to stimulate the economy! :dance

Now just waiting for the snow to melt so I can ride it! :banghead

The 1150 has a more "beefier" look to it, and as much as it is a bit of an oximoron, it's heavier! I Love my R12GS, but the bulk of the 1150 goes down the road "truer" than the 1200 becuase of those extra pounds...

The look is where I like the 1150, the tank and "faring" is bigge.r, and I want BOTH a 1150 and my current 1200 :)
First off I prefer the instrument cluster on my 2000 1150, I'm not sure why but it seems to be of better quality and you don't have to start the bike to read the odo.
I also like the weight of the older bike, it seems to track much better at higher speeds and yet, it still seems light and agile in the twisties. Just as a matter of looks, I like a moto that shows off it's engine....I'm not a big fan of plastic covering the engine (R1200RT etc.).

This thread is interesting to me. I have a GS (Airhead GSPD), but I've been thinking how much fun an oilhead/hexhead "S" would be. I guess the grass is always greener... though I'd want this in addition to what I have, not to replace the GS. :)

If I owned one I doubt I would ever take it off road;

But you could if you wanted to and that potential is where in lies the adventure.

Rode mine in Baja. It managed better than I did and could have done more than I did with it. That was fully loaded with extra bags and crap too.

-qHykBTjW_Xj82GQqI5r7Q

Do it, come on you know you want it..... :stick :laugh
I got bitten by the GS bug bad and in 2 1/2 years I put 66K miles on my 06 1150 GSA without any issues at all :dance

Do it, come on you know you want it..... :stick :laugh
I got bitten by the GS bug bad and in 2 1/2 years I put 66K miles on my 06 1150 GSA without any issues at all :dance

Oh I am gonna do it......it is just a matter of time....and getting the wifey on board! I'm wearing her down:laugh

why did I read this, Now you got me thinking about one.:nod

A GS admittedly set above the crowd, and makes any other road bike seem sort of ass draggin (No offense, LT, K, I like you guys a whole lot).

A GS is nimble. Where I park at work, the elevated area I park gives me this opportunity to fly each day as I leave; I can jump this bike off a 15" concrete embankment as I pull out of the lot. I can rip down dirt roads; I ride dirt with my Son with him in front on either my 250 Kawasaki or his 125 Suzuki, and keep up with him sliding on the turns! Try doing any of these on your normal road bike and see what happens; yet I still do 60 in 3.6? 3.7 I forget, it's just a blur...

I can corner with no chance of scraping a side bag; I can rip the straights with anybody out there. I love this bike! Contrary to opinion, my final drive just keeps on kicking, four years, 65K and going strong.

Once again, no offense to the LT's that purr like a kitten as they jump ahead on the straights, or the K's who run forever, but I am so happy with my decision four years ago to get my GS...

No offense to the Harleys or the Hondas, God bless those slow footed Big Monsters, I just prefer the ultimate freedom, the light, muscle bound beauty of the GS over any other bike I ever rode...

PS My Wife finally is getting her AGATT stuff this year...

I was down at Gateway BMW this weekend checking out their shop and all of the goodies they stock. I had many questions regarding my purchase of a new GSA in May of this year. It will be my first Beemer. I rode the GT, LT, RT, GS,and the GSA. I rode the RT and the GSA several times. Each time I did, I liked the GSA the best. I wish I could say why for sure, but I cannot.

I too will probably do very little actual dirt riding, so I sometimes think I should be buying the RT. But then I look at the GSA and tell myself that it can go places the RT cannot. And just maybe I will find going off road will happen more often than I think it will. I used to do nearly all off road when I was considerably younger.

One thing that I know I like about the GS models is the way you sit more upright. Gateway had three GSA's sitting next to each other, each with a different height windscreen on them. This was one of the things I am trying to decide on. I'm used to looking thru a windscreen, which of course, provides great protection from the wind. So now I'm trying to decide which windscreen to get on my new GSA. Next time I go down there I need to ride each to compare them.

What is everyone's elses opinion. Do you like to be bufffeted with the wind you do you like to hide behind the screen?

I dunno...I just like a big windshield! I have the original on my '93 GSPD but I have a tall Parabellum that I love....low noise & no wind!
Ive been getting the itch for a newer bike myself. Ive not looked (in person) at anything but have really liked how the '00- '04 GS's look with that big tank. The newer ones with the plastic dont look as cool I think.
Im curious how much difference I'll find between my current bike and a newer GS?
If I can sell a few bikes off I'm probably gonna end up with a new ride!

----------------------------
1993 GSPD (for sale)
1984 R80RT
'72 Triumph 650 (for sale)
'72 Guzzi Eldorado (for sale)
'74 Yamaha RD 350 (for sale)

This thread is interesting to me. I have a GS (Airhead GSPD), but I've been thinking how much fun an oilhead/hexhead "S" would be. I guess the grass is always greener... though I'd want this in addition to what I have, not to replace the GS. :)

Good choice :thumb

I went from airhead GS to oilhead. Loved the 1150GS but then went back and picked up a 80 G/S airhead. :dance

68348298_TL5i7-S.jpg

475096836_uLYvJ-S.jpg

Kept them both . . . just love the versatility of the platform.

Last edited:
I'm always drooling over the GS's I see?? If I owned one I doubt I would ever take it off road; however, I STILL WANT ONE!!!

I never bought any of my GSes with that intent. Who says you have to take it off road.

They happen to be the best "standard" motorcycle available. I guess thats why I have a slew of them.

Back