• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which one is better? Fuel injectors

Yes. You have the yellow coding plug which means closed loop should work unless someone disconnected the O2 sensor (under the tank). With the O2 and Closed Loop working, the matched R1200 injectors should work perfectly. The extra fuel they spray at low engine load is quickly compensated by the motronic and your plugs won’t foul. So since they did, something is not quite right.

Roger,

Since the GS1200 injectors did not work perfectly in my bike, I would assume that the O2 sensor must be disconnected. Is there any reason why a mechanic might have intentionally disconnected the O2 sensor? If it is disconnected and needs to be reconnected, what difference will I notice with it reconnected?

Paul

Paul,
Did you buy your bike new or might a previous owner have tried to fix a surging problem?

Many Oilhead riders tried disconnecting the O2 and/or removing/changing the Coding Plug as a way to reduce surging. The results were mixed, some felt there were improvements, others didn’t.

The R1100 fueling tables were setup for gasoline without ethanol, so when a rider today uses E10, if they’ve disconnected the O2 or removed the coding plug, their bike is runs an additional 4% leaner than stock.

If the O2 is reconnected (and if it has been disconnected), I doubt you’ll notice much difference. It might possibly improve the bike. The big change would be that your R1200 injectors should work fine—maybe no improvement, because they don’t do much that’s different from the stock injectors—and not foul your plugs.

If you want a truly better fueled bike, rather than add the matched R1200 injectors, try an AF-XIED—it’ll add fuel, which the R1100s really like.

The other thing to think about, is if you’re happy with the bike as it is, just ride and enjoy it and not worry about why the R1200 injectors did work.

Paul,
Did you buy your bike new or might a previous owner have tried to fix a surging problem?

Many Oilhead riders tried disconnecting the O2 and/or removing/changing the Coding Plug as a way to reduce surging. The results were mixed, some felt there were improvements, others didn’t.

The R1100 fueling tables were setup for gasoline without ethanol, so when a rider today uses E10, if they’ve disconnected the O2 or removed the coding plug, their bike is runs an additional 4% leaner than stock.

If the O2 is reconnected (and if it has been disconnected), I doubt you’ll notice much difference. It might possibly improve the bike. The big change would be that your R1200 injectors should work fine—maybe no improvement, because they don’t do much that’s different from the stock injectors—and not foul your plugs.

If you want a truly better fueled bike, rather than add the matched R1200 injectors, try an AF-XIED—it’ll add fuel, which the R1100s really like.

The other thing to think about, is if you’re happy with the bike as it is, just ride and enjoy it and not worry about why the R1200 injectors did work.

Roger,

I bought the bike at 113,000 km, which is now at 234,000. If the O2 sensor is not connected, it was either done by the previous owner or one of the mechanics that worked on my bike over the years.

It has always run well and even better with the 1200 injectors, but for now I am happy to have the bike running without having to worry about the plugs. When it is in to a mechanic (which isn't that often), I'll have the O2 sensor checked.

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Paul

So, I just swapped in the Tills injectors into the bike yesterday and did a resynch. 97K on the original injectors. My idle is a little low so I need to fix that but the idle is smoother at 1000 rpm now than it was at 1250 with the old injectors with the same plugs and valve settings. Slightly better throttle response as it seems it takes less twist to get the same power rolling on the throttle. Seems generally happier just cruising at 45-50 mph and then much smoother on freeway at 80 mph but that could be the re-sync though its never been as smooth even after same sync process before.

One of the better bang for the buck adds it seems.

Btw, my bike has a Power Commander which I have set half-way between the optimum or stock air/fuel ratio and the Power Commander suggested air/fuel ratio.

Back