• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which battery do I want?

I need a battery for the 94 R1100GS. Not happy with the the old lead acid BMW battery and tried a Westco once. Looking at a Odyssey PC 680. Does anyone Know anything about Gruber batteries? Any thing I need to know about charging a odyssey battery?

The Odyssey works great...never have to think about it anymore. Two years old already. Time will tell if they truly are better. The OEM lasted two years and spent a great deal of time on a gel battery tender too. Each to their own...I like this one very much thus far. Not cheap but very good.

Battery

I put an Odyssey in my 02 RT last summer & it's been great. Started the bike in < 20 degree temps. Kept it charged with a battery tender connected through the power plugs. No more pulling parts off the bike to see what the acid level is on the battery! :clap

Oddessy is what I put in two years ago. On tender once a month during winter, as I have no electricity in garage, and it has been fine. No problem starting in the winter.

I have an Odyssey in my R1200C

and I think it is the best motorcycle battery I have ever had.
About one year old and it hasn't hesitated. Put it on a tender once only briefly.
Easy decision .

I've bought the Gruber.......and have not had good luck with it. 1st one would not even run the fuel pump. Called them, they sent a new one no questions asked. The second one started the bike 1 time, then the same, it wont even run the pump. Used the BMW charger and get the green light but still not enough power. Now we will see what their customer service is like. Im going to get a refund and get the Odyssey.

I've had a Westco in my 1150GS for the last 3 years and have been very happy with it. We just got FatWife her own 1150GS and I'll probably put a Westco in it as well.

Go with the Odyssey. Don't waste your time with anything else. Don't need any special high price tender either. A cheap Walmart float charger works fine. Aerostich claims they'll last up to 10 years. I HATE taking the fuel tank off, and the Odyssey is the way to go to eliminate this task to get to the battery.

charging my new odyssey

Well, I have a odyssey coming Monday. Took about a hour and one half to find one, they are way behind due to a quality issue last fall. Any tips on starting out on the right foot with this battery?

I've had a Westco in my 1150GS for the last 3 years and have been very happy with it. We just got FatWife her own 1150GS and I'll probably put a Westco in it as well.

I have a Westco in my bike that's 5 1/2 years old. It's due for replacement this fall (it cranks just fine when temps are above 45??F), but that may well be largely a result of it having been on a battery tender only once in the past five years.

Put an Odyssey in my 02 K1200RS last winter. Keep it on a tender. Great stuff, no maint/no worries and never a problem cranking, etc. Love it.

Well, I have a odyssey coming Monday. Took about a hour and one half to find one, they are way behind due to a quality issue last fall. Any tips on starting out on the right foot with this battery?
Ouch.. an hour and a half?... I have a 925 in my K1 and a 680 in the RT fantastic battery. I get them from West Coast Battery and yes, Odyssey did have some production issues with something like 16,000 batteries when I spoke to them.
I waited about two weeks for the 680... they called me as soon as they had one.

As far as starting out on the right foot just install it and go... the only thing I added was a "pig tail" connector for the Battery Tender Jr... both bikes have one as well as 2 cars, it just makes it easier not having to search for the adapter plug to use the accessory socket.

So how have the Odyssey's been holding up?

I am looking for a battery with a bit better than a 3 month warranty. So I found this thread and thought I would revive it.
Going to check the locals distributors and see if I get Lucky.
IT would be nice to get some feedback on how happy folks are with this make ,and how long they have been lasting?
Any special attachments needed?:scratch
thx

You may want to check my previous, rather long, thread dealing with Odyssey batteries, and the chargers they claim are absolutely necessary for them.
But, to summarize:
a) They seem to be good batteries.
b) The Odyssey company has no actual idea what chargers are compatible with them, although they claim their batteries are VERY particular.
c) The company lists several chargers on their website, which they will state authoritatively, that these, and only these, will work with their picky batteries. But apparently no one there has ever actually tested any of them for rated output voltage. If they did, they would find, as I did, that they put out the same voltage as the Tender.

And d) the critical piece of information: The Battery Tender Jr and PLus will work fine. They put out the same voltage as all the rest of the more expensive chargers. Yes, the more powerful ones will charge quicker. But who cares about that? It's a maintenance charger. I trust I have saved you the many, many hours I wasted on "Odyssey battery chargers."

Last 2 batteries have been Odyssey's, R1100S.
First lasted 5 years, this last one made it for 6.
I don't know if you could get a better batt, i know you could do worse.

Like jconway, I too spent a lot of time evaluating the pc680 in my r1150rt. I have reached different conclusions.

1) AGM batteries (e.g. Westco or Odyssey) require higher charging voltages AND higher maintenance voltages than the GEL or FLA batteries that Oilheads were designed for.

2) I found Odyssey to be very helpful in advising me how to successfully recondition the PC680 that I badly damaged by regularly recharging it with a Battery Tender Jr., whose output voltage is too low for AGM batteries.

3) By following Odyssey's advice, my battery which seemed to be useless 3 years ago, still is performing like new after reconditioning it.

Bottom line: use the PC 680 but keep it properly charged, per Odyssey's recommendations.

My write up is here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70495-Starter-or-Battery-2004-R1150RT&highlight=.

Here is the voltage versus temperature curve, from the Odyssey manual for properly charging the PC680. You can see that at 20C, the correct maintenance voltage is just a bit below 13.8V and the correct charging voltage is about 14.8V, far higher than an oilhead's 13.8 V output, which is why the maintenance charge voltage is so important. My battery tender jr. had an output voltage on only 13.1V.

image.jpg

I had the same issues with my 03 R1150RT and PC-680, until I bought the proper charger.

Here is the voltage versus temperature curve, from the Odyssey manual for properly charging the PC680. You can see that at 20C, the correct maintenance voltage is just a bit below 13.8V and the correct charging voltage is about 14.8V, far higher than an oilhead's 13.8 V output, which is why the maintenance charge voltage is so important. My battery tender jr. had an output voltage on only 13.1V.

Roger, I can only go by my own, hands on results. I have heard all of this same information before, actually several times, from numerous calls to Odyssey. As for the bike not producing enough voltage, well, after 5 minutes of riding, the battery was sufficiently charged to cancel the blinking ABS lights. I now own, thanks to Odyssey, a Schauer Charge Master, listed specifically as the one of the "correct" chargers for their batteries. After a month of dealing with both Odyssey and Schauer (two chargers, and people there who contradicted themselves on how the units operated) I threw all the notes away in disgust. But I do recall that the Charge Master put out around 13. 1 volts on float voltage. Not 13.5 that Odyssey claimed they did. The same voltage as the Tender Jr.( of which I now own two). And, as an aside, I believe the Tender Jr went to 14.5 volts or thereabouts, when it was in the initial full charge mode.

So I now have a charger that Odyssey said I had to have, that works the same as the ones they said wouldn't work. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong here? It would be great if these companies would actually figure out what they are selling. My experience is that an awful lot of them these days, not only Odyssey and Schauer, seem to have absolutely no idea what is going on with their products.

The only real knock I've heard about Odessy batteries is that they don't warn you when they are going bad. Not like a normal lead/acid battery.

Back