• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which ________ (insert jacket, helmet, pants...etc here) is best?

shoeman

How cold was it?
A common thread we often see posted is which piece of equipment is best. Unfortunately by "best" the poster rarely means"which offers the best protection". Any safety equipment (helmet to boots) we wear has a prime requirement of keeping us safe. Comfort should be secondary with fashion third. After all, if its not comfortable we won't wear it as much. If I knew for certain a jacket would keep me safe in an accident but leaked rain to beat the band I would still wear it. It is very rare to see a posting wanting to know which gloves offer the best hand protection or which jacket will protect you best. Luckily we have very little (still too much) data and (knock wood) I have none.
Those of you unfortunate enough to test gear in the most meaningful manner, how about some guidance on what worked well, what was okay and what gear failed when put to the acid test.

Which ________ (insert jacket, helmet, pants...etc here) is best?

Most of the time you will get the answer "I (insert have, own, use) and it is great.

To get a good comparison you should have at least 3 or more products tested under the same conditions.

Race leathers. Constantly tested by way more people than me. For the street I'd have to say Vanson.

Next, Aerostich Roadcrafter. Many a person, my self included, has slid a distance without road-rash. In 2004 I slid down the road, and into a wooden post and wire guard rail. Those behind me said I "ragdolled" along hitting at least 3 posts. Fell on my right hip (optional hip pads inserted) and elbow, not a single bit of a bruise. I broke my wrist, not the suit's fault.

There were a few small spots where a layer of the suit had worn away. I believe the suit has 4 layers.

http://robietech.com/johnbrown/2004 branson/Branson2004_38.JPG

Firstgear

I like the First Gear stuff because I can put things in my pockets and they wont get wet. The temp range is good with the removeable liners and venting.

The ones that fit well, are easy to don, carry, stow, that are cool/warm when needed, basically the ones that WON'T produce "I really should wear it, but...." rationalizations when setting out for a ride.

Back