• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What to do about numbness

Saddle Height and Finger Numbness Combined?

Glanced through this topic, but didn't see anyone with similer problems I've noticed. Been a few years on this topic, based on dates of postings.

This is Strange: I've been riding motorcycles since 1986, and I've had four other motorcycles prior to the two BMW's I just bought this year (2007). After four years of not riding a motorcycle, I'm riding again on these BMW's, which are new for me to ride. (04 RT/05 CS)(topic concerns riding 1150RT)

When I first started riding the BMW's this year, I was getting numbness and tingling in my fingers. I first thought it was due to not riding for a few years. I thought the problem went away until last week when I did a seat change. I have not had this problem on my past bikes.

So, this is the scenario: I bought an aftermarket seat for the Rally in West Bend, and I road a total of 3725 miles from Dallas and back to the Rally and elsewhere. I never had any of the numbness occur. For other reasons I'll save for a different topic, I put my original seat and the aftermarket cushion back on the bike, road about 450 miles for two days. The aftermarket cushion "deflated" on me, and I was back to my original position on the bike that I had when I first bought it. About 30 minutes into that ride, the numbness last spring returned. Hmm?

It occured to me that the numbness first went away when I put the aftermarket cushion on the original seat, which elevated me up.

I have since experimented with different heights using my new seat, and if I have the seat in the highest position, the numbness in my fingers seem to go away. If I lower it to the lower positions, the numbness starts up again.

So? Can anybody related to this? I figure either I have some strange circulation based on height of my seat, and/or there may be a cushing factor here?

Thanks
Bryan

Glanced through this topic, but didn't see anyone with similer problems I've noticed. Been a few years on this topic, based on dates of postings.

This is Strange: I've been riding motorcycles since 1986, and I've had four other motorcycles prior to the two BMW's I just bought this year (2007). After four years of not riding a motorcycle, I'm riding again on these BMW's, which are new for me to ride. (04 RT/05 CS)(topic concerns riding 1150RT)

When I first started riding the BMW's this year, I was getting numbness and tingling in my fingers. I first thought it was due to not riding for a few years. I thought the problem went away until last week when I did a seat change. I have not had this problem on my past bikes.

So, this is the scenario: I bought an aftermarket seat for the Rally in West Bend, and I road a total of 3725 miles from Dallas and back to the Rally and elsewhere. I never had any of the numbness occur. For other reasons I'll save for a different topic, I put my original seat and the aftermarket cushion back on the bike, road about 450 miles for two days. The aftermarket cushion "deflated" on me, and I was back to my original position on the bike that I had when I first bought it. About 30 minutes into that ride, the numbness last spring returned. Hmm?

It occured to me that the numbness first went away when I put the aftermarket cushion on the original seat, which elevated me up.

I have since experimented with different heights using my new seat, and if I have the seat in the highest position, the numbness in my fingers seem to go away. If I lower it to the lower positions, the numbness starts up again.

So? Can anybody related to this? I figure either I have some strange circulation based on height of my seat, and/or there may be a cushing factor here?

Thanks
Bryan

I'm sure the numbness comes from bad ergonomics. I notice that if there is pressure on my wrists/hands , my right hand will start going numb after a couple of hours. I've pretty much solved the problem with better posture, padded gloves and a crampbuster. Oh yeah and a new seat helped as well

+ 1 and my own tips

My right hand used to get numb after riding for about an hour and I've done a couple of things which have helped -

- got a wrist rest
- got gloves that are looser
- rotated the brake lever down

However, the numbness always went away once I gave my hand a rest. It sounds more serious that your hand stays numb for days....

I like the suggestion of gel padding, Rob - I'll try that too.

BG

Gloves can be a big factor. I lossened the velcro on top ofmy hand and it helped a lot. Next I installed some risers and tilted the handle bars a bit on my GS. That and a throttle rocker eliminated all the numbness in my wrist, and my shoulders.

Good luck

Denis R1200GS;)

I'm sure the numbness comes from bad ergonomics. I notice that if there is pressure on my wrists/hands , my right hand will start going numb after a couple of hours. I've pretty much solved the problem with better posture, padded gloves and a crampbuster. Oh yeah and a new seat helped as well

I've had the numbness problem on several bikes with different ergonomics and I have tried almost everything. My last bike I bought has the only thing that has helped a lot--Electronic Cruise Control.

I must admitt that I didn't read all of the replies. If I'm repeating someone else; please forgive me.
I used to get the numb fingers on my R1200CL. I spoke to my chiropractor and found that it was my wrist angle to the handle bar. She showed me how to crack my wrist to relieve the numbness. It worked great, then I changed to the CL model. I was fine for a long time and now I'm getting some trouble again. It is from my shoulder blades being pushed too far forward. So I ordered some bar-backs to get me sitting in a more " closed shoulder possition". It's all an issue of ergonomics. Find someone who can assess your seating possitioning such as a good chiropractor. Mine is DR. Scott in Ontario, Canada.

Agree with all that has been said, especially about the ergonomics. Carpal Tunnel syndrome often is a cumulative thing, in other words, the more pressure on the median nerve throughout a 24 hour period, the more numbness. This is probably why it began after a day of fly fishing. However, once begun, the nerve can swell, and therefore become more easily entrapped. We often recommend carpal tunnel splints for wear at night, or during times of the day when they can be conveniently worn, to support the wrist and minimize the length of time there is stress on the nerve through the carpal tunnel. I would suggest you try that, in addition to the ergonomic and glove suggestions. My throttle rocker fits into this picture of minimizing cumulative stress as well.

If all that fails, I would suggest a trip to your doctor before it gets any worse. Advanced treatment options include steroid injections and surgery. There is a new procedure being done by many now, which is done through a tiny scope, requires two small incisions which can be covered by bandaids, and takes about 15 minutes. Hopefully, you can effect improvement prior to needing that.

Good luck,

ergonomics

During a routine checkup, I just had a talk with my physician, who also rides. had had CTS surgery, and said it helped him. We agreed that ergonomics is a big factor. I get buzzy hands while bicycling, as someone reported with fly fishing. Any position in which I put weight on my hands will lead to it, I guess. And, because I have as much weight now as I have ever had, and more weight than when I first rode 40 years ago, it makes sense to find the best positions in which to ride.

That said, I want to repeat a word of warning about ergonomics that I have made in reference to seating. If your center of gravity is high, as is mine and most males', and you sit further back, as most custom seats and adjustable bars / pegs permit, you haven't eliminated the problem of pressure on nerves, you have just transferred pressure from your arms to your spine. For me, that's worse, because I get sciatic pain in my legs if I sit too long on anything, including car seats, in which almost all my weight is on my butt.

I suspect that one reason that highway pegs are popular is that they replicate the seating position that many riders take in their cars / trucks. Besides reducing reaction time and looking awkward, that position puts all your weight on your spine, and, on a motorcycle, all the shock absorption from the suspension into the bargain. That's a bad bargain to me.

So, before modifying my seat / bars / pegs, I'd analyze my riding positions: how is my weight distributed? can I change positions often enough to avoid continued pressure on any one area? And, most importantly, what can I do to treat the problem, not just the symptoms?

I am also a big fan of Olympia gloves and have had 5 or 6 (?) pairs over the years. Newenough seems to have them on sale: http://www.newenough.com/browse/closeouts/olympia_inventory_liquidation_sale

I do not have any chronic numbness or hand issues, but I have noticed that if I am not careful, I can trap my wristwatch between my wrist and the cuff of my jacket, and that causes me a circulation problem.

One thing I do, because of my knee, is take ibuprofen when on long rides. It is an excellent anti-infammatory and may help those of you with issues. You have to take it before you have a problem; it works best when you get and stay ahead of the problem. I keep a film can of the stuff in my tank bag.

IOne thing I do, because of my knee, is take ibuprofen when on long rides. It is an excellent anti-infammatory and may help those of you with issues. You have to take it before you have a problem; it works best when you get and stay ahead of the problem. I keep a film can of the stuff in my tank bag.

I also take ibuprofen or similar whenever I am going to take a long ride due to my back and other aches and pains. I have done it for years and it makes a hugh difference. However, it doesn't help with the numbness in my hand.

Anyone experience one or more fingers numb after riding. My ring finger on my throttle hand becomes numb and it is taking longer and longer for the feeling to come back. This time its been 2 days after riding about 400 miles this weekend. Any insight anybody? :help

My wife and I both ride 07 R1200GS. We use the Cramp Buster Throttle support and it works. I would suggest that you are holding on too tight...maybe?

Phil

Back