• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What the heck do all these letters mean?

M

MARTYW

I'm shopping for a used R style bike. A friend of mine has an 04 1150 RT, which I love, though it's beyond by budget. :violin Most of my tire kicking is on line and I'm trying to understand what the different letters mean.
What are the main differences between S, RS, RSL, RT, and any other lettering I've overlooked?

Thanks for the help. Beemer lovers are the best.

-Marty

:bikes

I'm shopping for a used R style bike. A friend of mine has an 04 1150 RT, which I love, though it's beyond by budget. :violin Most of my tire kicking is on line and I'm trying to understand what the different letters mean.
What are the main differences between S, RS, RSL, RT, and any other lettering I've overlooked?

-Marty

You need to get on Google and get some pictures to go with these:

S - Sport, just a bit of fairing, high pegs, most extreme forward lean bar position for a BMW.
RS - Rennsport, the traditional 3/4 fairing BMW sport touring bike, a bit more moderate forward bar position.
RSL - Same as the RS but with fairing body work that goes down below the cylinders.
RT - Touring bike, "full" fairing, upright "sit up and beg" seating position.

yep, and don't forget;

R - BMW's take on a "naked" bike, no faring, kinda upright seating position
GS - that's German for "I take it in the woods sometimes":D

yep, and don't forget;

R - BMW's take on a "naked" bike, no faring, kinda upright seating position
GS - that's German for "I take it in the woods sometimes":D

ST sport touring?
T touring but no fairing?
LT Lux touring?
CS city slicker?

The most important thing to know is that I have an S for sale for a mere $6200. PM me for details.
Jim - this really belongs in the Marketplace - not randomly posted in the Oilhead forum.

Please do NOT do this again.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Don't ya think that was kinda harsh there?????:huh

I took his post as tongue in cheek myself and kind of funny. Has the board gone silly with formalizing everything now? :uhoh

In checking he already has his bike in the flea market. I wish him best of luck in selling it.

Don't ya think that was kinda harsh there?????:huh

I took his post as tongue in cheek myself and kind of funny. Has the board gone silly with formalizing everything now? :uhoh

In checking he already has his bike in the flea market. I wish him best of luck in selling it.
I don't think it was harsh at all.. It's the second plug for a bike for sale I spotted this AM in the tech forums. What I posted was a polite request that this not be done.

One function of the Flea Market is to keep these sort of threads from overwhelming forums. If one person does this - why wouldn't everyone list the bikes they have for sale in both the Flea Market - and also in all the forums? Or anything they have for sale?

Where do you suggest we draw the line? I'm just curious..

I don't think it was harsh at all.. It's the second plug for a bike for sale I spotted this AM in the tech forums. What I posted was a polite request that this not be done.

One function of the Flea Market is to keep these sort of threads from overwhelming forums. If one person does this - why wouldn't everyone list the bikes they have for sale in both the Flea Market - and also in all the forums? Or anything they have for sale?

Where do you suggest we draw the line? I'm just curious..

I am thinking something a little more generalized i.e. Please do not post about items for sale on the flea market on the main forums. This goes for all members. Or remove the post and drop the poster a PM and let them know why.

Rather than:

Please do NOT do this again. Capitalization on forums tends to indicate cyber yelling.
When I did it before I new the rules and before there was a flea market I received a PM asking me to remove or edit my post to adhere to policy. I am sure you typed it politely but it may read differently to others. Thats all. It is a policy that is pretty much well known and respected.

My .02
Brian

Please do NOT do this again. Capitalization on forums tends to indicate cyber yelling.
When I did it before I new the rules and before there was a flea market I received a PM asking me to remove or edit my post to adhere to policy. I am sure you typed it politely but it may read differently to others. Thats all. It is a policy that is pretty much well known and respected.

My .02
Brian

Brian,

The discussion has devolved to how one should post a request. Sorry - that's my style. It wasn't done "harshly" and I don't think capitalizing one word for emphasis is "harsh"..

The simple fact is - the posting didn't belong in this messsage thread - and it has managed to take the thread completely off topic.

So 'nuf said..

Also at the NJ Shore..

Brian,

The discussion has devolved to how one should post a request. Sorry - that's my style. It wasn't done "harshly" and I don't think capitalizing one word for emphasis is "harsh"..

The simple fact is - the posting didn't belong in this messsage thread - and it has managed to take the thread completely off topic.

So 'nuf said..

Also at the NJ Shore..

I'm not flaming your style. That is fine. I am cool with it. I am just opining on how it reads. That is all.
Overmoderation is always a hot topic on a forum. (Not saying this was over the top, please don't read into that) Lots of folks left Chromeheads when I was over there because of that very problem. Given that the moderation of these forums recently underwent some change, I would say feedback from the membership would indicate what is wanted in moderation. Within reason of course. We don't want things to run amok. But they rarely do. Pretty laid back crowd around here.

Had you sent a PM to Jim and told him not to and to either remove/edit his post or you would have to do it for him, I think it would have done the same thing. And never drawn a comment from anyone. And I seriously doubt that his post would begin the slippery slope of a flea market forum.

Anyways....

Back on topic...

How you coming along with all those letters Marty?

Brian

-Marty

The RS is the only manly bike amongst all of 'em, and the only one worth owning...

and the 'L' in RSL means you get the full lower fairing too (think it looks a lot better)

And I thought GS was latin for.. "I don't, but I COULD take it in the woods if I wanted to"

The RS is the only manly bike amongst all of 'em, and the only one worth owning...

and the 'L' in RSL means you get the full lower fairing too (think it looks a lot better)

And I thought GS was latin for.. "I don't, but I COULD take it in the woods if I wanted to"

I take mine in the woods.

hahahha, nice:laugh

i get heated reactions when i say my S is the only bmw made since the 70s airheads that has a decent looking exhaust, they become more and more "trashcanny" (new word, not yet in the dictionary) by the year, although i guess that is the style, the new gsxr and guzzis have HUGE exhausts

subtlety is a lost art:p

i get heated reactions when i say my S is the only bmw made since the 70s airheads that has a decent looking exhaust, they become more and more "trashcanny" (new word, not yet in the dictionary) by the year, although i guess that is the style, the new gsxr and guzzis have HUGE exhausts

I've been told I'm the Sultan of Subtlety..

and of course it's all in fun.. I even took a sip of the GS Kool-Aid and test drove one, and a new RT.. now to test ride the K bikes.

The catalytic converter is in the exhaust can now days...

I'm sorry, I thought RS meant "real sensitive” or translated literally, “won't go in the woods on the first date.” :rofl

Easy :german

Back