• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noob looking into a Used RT , what do I need to know?

Congratulations on getting it home.

I'm 5' 5" and haven't been able to flatfoot a bike since a metric cruiser I had ages ago. My 07 has a Mayer seat and I can touch the toes and little more of my boots. The balance of these boxers is great and I don't need any more reach to the ground to be comfortable pushing it around while seated. The hex head has a tight seat to peg distance and I enjoy my lowered pegs even with 28" inseam.

I'm going to get some plates and Insurance on it today and see if i can squeeze a ride in around the never ending rain. Based on my admittedly very limited test ride I'm inclined to agree with you on the seat to peg dimensions. I just did a cursory search for peg lowering kits and found quite a few. If i decide to give one try which woudl you reccommend?? Is there a "go to" that is recognized as the most desirable??

And water pumps. Some later ones have cam issues.

I remember something about premature cam wear as well. First tune up on my 16RS, the mechanic noted no wear on the rides cam lobes. Something he checked because he was aware there were issues with premature wear on that years [ and others ] motor.

I'd read about the premature wear, there's an extensive thread here about it. So when I read that note on the invoice sheet, it didn't surprise me but did reinforce my mechanic is up to speed on the bikes and checked it knowing some had issues.

I connected with the gent with the standard height seats and bought those earlier this week. They are like new and i put them both on the bike; as I was hoping the standard height seat in the lower position is just right. I can flat foot the bike with just a little bend in my knee. I'm still debating a peg lowering kit to reduce the knee angle whle riding; if anyone has input on those I'd love to hear it. I ordered up the broken latch part for the left side case last week and received it today. I put the side case back together and its working normally now. One of the previous owners drilled holes in a couple different positions around the perimeter of the side cases and the top cases to allow a screwdriver to be used to operate the latch should the mechanism fail. I need to find some type of plug to go into these holes to keep the water and road grime out of the cases and latch mechanisms. I've only put about 100 miles on the bike as its still raining daily, I'm itching to get out but tomorrow is going to be a total washout and Sunday doesn't look much better.

I'm still debating a peg lowering kit to reduce the knee angle while riding; if anyone has input on those I'd love to hear it.

I bought this Suburban Machinery kit from A&S Motorcycle Parts for $180.99 on 4/17/2017. They helped me and were worth the investment. I am 6'2" and also use two sets of bar backs. If you want a list of all the farkles I have used on my 07RT I could put that together for you.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.html

I have knight design pegs on my Honda and am impressed with the quality. I have the stock pegs on the RT since the rider's triangle as it came from the factory works just fine.

I have knight design pegs on my Honda and am impressed with the quality. I have the stock pegs on the RT since the rider's triangle as it came from the factory works just fine.

Have the same pegs on my 11RT. They were installed by a previous owner. I like them, but the outside of my boot will touch the tar regularly in the twisties. I have to remember to raise the outside edge of the boots just a tad or I'll be wearing material off the boots.

I'm 5'9", the pegs from Knight are quality from everything I've seen.

Back